• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-06]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
You know what, the flake of the week reminds me of the question I asked you guys at the ANN panel at AX, Zac.
maichips

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I had never heard of ero guro before, and now I think I regret hearing of it. Yuck.

RANT: Giant robots = more destruction than samurai or ninjas. Oh yah! Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Well it is good that U.S. companies are taking a stab at the yuri market, but the one thing I'm concerned about is the Japanese side especially since there's not much purely yuri anime series out there (and I'm not talking about the ones that are used manly as a fanservice device or ones with ridiculously amount of subtext that leads to nowhere). In the yaoi side there seemed to be quite a number of yaoi titles especially OVAs.

I just hope the upstart of the potential of yuri will make more Japanese companies to create and adapt more yuri series.
unsinkmbrown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I saw an ad for Transformers on CNN and now I know all of their news is biased toward Optimus Prime.

Whereas Fox News is clearly in support of Megatron. You just can't trust these news programs which support the agendas of super robots.
unsinkmbrown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
RANT: Giant robots = more destruction than samurai or ninjas. Oh yah! Very Happy

Plus much cooler toy tie-ins.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
LOL at the busy part.

Wow such vivid detail of the downard spiral of a otaku. Nice.

So would and example of ero guro be the manga Remote?
Do you dislike ero guro more than that manga we all talked about before? Cool

nice pic of the ducks and the cat. it made em feel warm, tingly, and at some sort of peace I can't define.

the rant....is rant the right word to define that? i like giant robots. I want them to bring back Megas XLR. Smile

Nice column.
Unrelated:
Short post yes. But there is much more Yooyuball to be played.
Shenkuu 4 the win! Want to know what i'm talking about? Ask me. I'd love to tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back Zac!

Let's see... first of all, yuri is not 'lesbian erotica'. Yuri titles like Kashimashi (which I love) and Strawberry Panic are seinen, written for a MALE market, not a female one. Just as BL and yaoi are written for women, and are not intended for gay men, yuri is, at least for the most part, written for men. I'm sure Yuricon (Erica, right? I'm sorry I can't remember your name : ) will be here soon to elaborate more on the distinctions for us.
BL and yaoi are more available because there's just so much of it, and yuri, even in japan, is still a growing niche in comparison. We're not overrun with yuri because there just isn't as much to license (yet), but because there does seem to be a market outside of Japan I'm certain we'll be seeing a lot more of what there is out there licensed soon.

Doesn't everyone experience a bit of depression when their favourite series ends? I realize I'm a bit more emotional than most people, but I cry a lot when I finish a series, or when something traumatizing happens to characters I love. I've seen Escaflowne a dozen times and I still cry when its over, because I love the series so much and don't want it to end. I STILL can't watch episode 25 of Fullmetal Alchemist, even though I've re-watched the series 4 times, because of what happens and can't bear watching such a beloved character disappear. I was disconsolate for a week when Buffy sent Angel to Hell at the end of Series 2, I wept when Agent Pendrell was shot in The X-Files, I sobbed uncontrollably for hours after Return of the King ended in the cinema. I hardly think feeling upset about losing characters and stories you love is unique to anime fans, nor should you be worried about it. Don't we all get upset when something happens to a character we adore in our favourite books and films? It's human nature to empathize and identify with fictional creations, and only natural to feel a loss something you've been involved with emotionally is over. But yes, as Zac so kindly illustrated with charmingly graphic language, if you ever feel your life is TRULY over, that's time to call the men in the white coats. Wink
Kenotic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
That picture under the Flake of the Week letter reminded of how deep you are in the pockets of AFLAC.

I miss Veronica Mars. Yes, way too much Logan for my tastes by the last season, but I always thought that Mac could have a background of Haruhi dancing on her Mac. Still, the best cure for seeing your favorite series ending is to either a) Watch it again, or b) finding friends who might like it and showing it to them. I've gotten a few more viewings of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei that way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I confess, my familiarity with the title is limited to the plot summary but... how could you possibly get the idea the Remote (published in the U.S. by Tokyopop) is guro?

Neverwhere wrote:
Welcome back Zac!

Let's see... first of all, yuri is not 'lesbian erotica'. Yuri titles like Kashimashi (which I love) and Strawberry Panic are seinen, written for a MALE market, not a female one. Just as BL and yaoi are written for women, and are not intended for gay men, yuri is, at least for the most part, written for men. I'm sure Yuricon (Erica, right? I'm sorry I can't remember your name : ) will be here soon to elaborate more on the distinctions for us.

Whether or not it is aimed at guys or girls has nothing to do with whether it is erotica or yuri.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

I confess, my familiarity with the title is limited to the plot summary but... how could you possibly get the idea the Remote (published in the U.S. by Tokyopop) is guro?

well...there were a lot of gruesome murders and a lot of...fanservice. I think you'd call that fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I loved this week's column! So, so funny.

I'd like to mention a small tidbit of info. regarding the availability ero guro... it actually has been published here in the States. Seuhiro Maruo's work has, to be precise. Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show and the somewhat more obviously titled Ultra-Gash Inferno are both available in English, although I believe they may be out of print now; I'm not sure. I own both books. Embarassed There's also a Maruo short story in the Comics Underground Japan anthology.

I have to admit I'm a pretty huge Maruo fan, despite all the spoiler[eyeball licking] and other gross imagery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
godakame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Will it ever be published in any capacity in America? I'm going to consult my crystal ball here and say "no, probably not".

I thought there were a couple titles out now that are guro, such as Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show? I've never read it, but from what I've heard, it sounds guroish, especially considering that Suehiro Maruo is well known as a guro artist.

Although the majority of guro titles I've laid my eyes upon were vomit inducing, there is some stuff out there that are... umm ... more classy? Confused Hiroaki Samura of the Blade of the Immortal fame released a guro artbook in Japan not too long ago, and is an example of one of them.

Edit Cloe beat me to it.

Last edited by godakame on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

well...there were a lot of gruesome murders and a lot of...fanservice. I think you'd call that fanservice.

You seem to misunderstand what guro is. Guro doesn't mean that a series has violence/gore and sex in it. If that was the case, then Berserk and Gantz (among many, many others) would be 'guro.' It means that the gore is part of the sex. The graphic gore and violence is intended to arouse (somehow). You get stuff like people eating each other during sex or someone getting skinned alive and then raped. And those are very, very tame examples. In my curiosity, I looked at some guro. I try to block it out of my memory, but it has wounded my soul.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
Why won't answerman show up for m? This happens every damn week. I see people posting and I go to check out the article and it isn't there. I have to wait for hours after when it's "posted" to show up on my computer when I go to the answerman section. Anyone else have that problem?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
I laughed heartily at the Flake of the Week. The sad thing is, I frequent 4chan's /a/ board, and it's filled with people who say the same thing about ANN.

The Transformers statement reminded me of the picture I saw once of Optiimus Prime winning the presidential election and a CNN or Fox News crawl underneath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9