• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project Licenses Hitomebore, Kokonoe Kokoro Visual Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sekai Project is really really making me worried that they're in over their heads with so many projects at once. I hope they have enough staff to be good quality. Heard a lot of QC issues exist in everything released so far...not looking forward to that kind of "quality".
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sekai Project is really really making me worried that they're in over their heads with so many projects at once. I hope they have enough staff to be good quality. Heard a lot of QC issues exist in everything released so far...not looking forward to that kind of "quality".

To be fair, the grasshopper one is less than 2 hours according to VNDB (couldn't find zilch for the Cyclops one but as it is a doujin vn, it's probably not too long). I understand them trying to tap into the monster girl niche, but even so, going to the bottom of the barrel isn't a great idea.

But yeah, I've been seeing QC complaints as well. I only gave to one Sekai Project kickstarter (WAS) but I'm not donating to any more or buying any of their products until their quality improves.

Wait, were there any issues for Narcissu? I've played it before, but I've been itching to replay it on Steam.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've seen things and stuff by the artist of that cyclops.
Magicflier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Everyone who is saying this needs to understand that every translation project brought up has a different team in charge. This is already old news as they've been asked the same questions over and over on tumblr and twitter...
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
I think at this point Sekai Project is attempting to license and release games that will catch peoples attention - while I'm sure they have members on their staff that are excited to try and release these games in English, it is no doubt partially motivated by trying to have as many people as possible recognize their name.

I think that's a good thing - especially after having read fault ~milestone one~.
gt123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

While Grisaia and Clannad will avoid quality issues because of the skilled translators involved with them, the problem is the guy who is responsible for the problematic translations out of Sekai Project happens to be one of their main staff who won't be going away.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
In the Kokonoe Kokoro visual novel, the player deals with emotions with his childhood friend — a grasshopper girl — and his little sister — a bat girl. The group nostalgia released the all-ages monster-girl romantic dating simulator for Windows in 2013.

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm happy that Sekai Project is helping bringing over more VNs from different genres and with different themes, instead of doing what most publishers do and try to push as many titles from the same genre as long as it's profitable. On the other hand, at least on the surface, going after doujin circles' Monster Girl-type of works seems like an odd decision.

Well, I haven't played those VNs, nor I've read any reviews about them, so they might be "gems in the rough," waiting to be discovered.

Anyways, I hope that the translation quality with be good.
LCSeixas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
At this point, I'm just worried that Shiny Days will never be released. It's almost a year and a half since the announcement.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
LCSeixas wrote:
At this point, I'm just worried that Shiny Days will never be released. It's almost a year and a half since the announcement.

While I don't really follow the visual novel industry outside of watching various anime based off of them, that long of a wait is something that would need to be addressed (of course, they might say that it's still in development).
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
LCSeixas wrote:

That's just a JAST USA thing. While they don't usually have quality issues, the sheer amount of time it takes for JAST to release anything is absurdist. They also occassionally censor their stuff, though it's not as silly as MoeNovel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1