• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ushio & Tora Supernatural Battle Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this manga before but the premise sounds interesting. I'm in for it.

Edit: Noticed it's MAPPA. I recall there were talks about adapting an older series. Perhaps this was the one.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Studio Mappa's involvement is reason enough for me to check this show out.
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Wow, a blast from the past. A few of my favorite manga authors worked as assistants to Kazuhiro Fujita: Nobuyuki Anzai (Flame of Recca) and Makoto Raiku (Zatch Bell).
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Death: Oh, yeah, we need more Recca anime, too. I keep forgetting about that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
DeathScytheRuler wrote:

Wow, a blast from the past.

Ya stole the words from my mouth. It's so long seen I've seen the VHS, I don't even remember what happened!
Tomchic420

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Ushio & Tora aired on the Anime Network awhile back. That's how I knew about it. But they took it off for some reason and I don't even know how it ended. Confused
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
The manga was pretty good until the final arc, when a lot of stuff happens "because so". It's really annoying, and I hope it changes in the anime adaptation.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
I saw the 1992-93 Ushio & Tora OVAs at the Université de Montréal back in the day, probably approaching 20 years ago by now (they were already a couple of years old by the time I saw them). At the time, I thought they were ripping off the premise of Tenchi Muyo, although I didn't really have any way of knowing that the Ushio & Tora manga predated the original Tenchi OVA.

I presume that demons sealed in caves near Shinto temples is a fairly common cultural trope in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
The manga was pretty good until the final arc, when a lot of stuff happens "because so". It's really annoying, and I hope it changes in the anime adaptation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. And who ended up with Tora....that was odd.
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
I like this trend of companies adapting older anime, we are more likely to see ending for a series instead of "read the manga endings" that happen when a series is too new to continue.
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Unexpected but after Kiseijuu not surprised.
Uscio & Tora was a good manga, 33 volumes are a lot of stuff, but i guess they can do it in 24 episodes removing some fluff here and there.

Now they can animate 3X3 eyes too, another good manga from the past. OAV just covered, like Uscio & Tora, just some volumes not the whole serie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
I presume that demons sealed in caves near Shinto temples is a fairly common cultural trope in Japan.

Or at least a trope in Shogakukan manga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'd love to see 3x3 Eyes get an anime re-do and a manga reprint. I'm not familiar with Ushio & Tora, but I'm sure it has some spark if its getting a 20+ year remake. Maybe we can see the manga printed here if the anime does well...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Fujita ran the manga in Weekly Shonen Sunday two decades ago from 1990 to 1996

Well, I don't know what kept the series to get an anime adaptation for so long, but at least it is getting one.

I can think of 2 main possible reasons why it is getting animated now, nearly 20 years after it ended:
1. Management rights/copyrights agreements expiring - That one is pretty common, actually. We often hear about movie from Hollywood moved from one studio to the other due to exclusivity rights expiring, and the old studio not managing to move forward with the production, A.K.A. Development Hell.

2. Parasyte -the maxim- - Currently, Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijū: Sei no Kakuritsu) is gaining more favorable reviews and sales figures. This show is based on a manga that ran from 1988 to 1995, thus giving the decision-makers the notion to check older, unanimated material for upcoming projects.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
DeathScytheRuler wrote:
Wow, a blast from the past. A few of my favorite manga authors worked as assistants to Kazuhiro Fujita: Nobuyuki Anzai (Flame of Recca) and Makoto Raiku (Zatch Bell).

OOOH Makoto Raiku!?!? All the more reason to check this out! I initially planned to do so since the director worked on Trigun, another series I love but now this is getting interesting. Not to mention after terror in resonance and Bahamut Maappa have at least proved they've got visuals down pact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3