• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Delayed 5th Milky Holmes TD Episode to Be Streamed in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Japan self-censors images, words linked to hostage crisis

• TOKYO — Images or mentions of knives, ransom or blood — or anything else that can be seen alluding to the hostage crisis involving two Japanese in Syria — have been cut out. Some anime and other entertainment programs are altering, canceling or postponing episodes violating those sensitivities — typical of the kind of self-restraint shown here to avoid controversy.

Not wanting to be seen as insensitive — a huge faux pas in a society that holds consideration for others in high esteem — Japanese broadcasters quickly screened out any buzzwords and related images, all in the name of “jishuku,” or self-imposed control.

In the latest example of self-censorship, a production team for an animation comedy “Detective Opera Milky Holmes TD” said Friday that it has decided to suspend its fifth episode for being “inappropriate.” The episode was entitled “Carol’s ransom.”

The popular male pop group KAT-TUN was supposed to sing its new song “Dead or Alive” on TV Asahi’s Music Station show on Jan 23, but instead performed “White Lovers.” Another band, “Ling tosite sigure,” altered lyrics that included the words “knife” and “blood.”

The following day, another broadcaster, Fuji Television Network, canceled an episode of animation “Assassination Classroom,” citing “inappropriate material given the current situation.”

So far, the restraint is relatively mild.

Months following the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami disaster that killed more than 19,000 people, neon signs were dimmed and parties and comedy performances canceled.

Predictably, the popular band Southern All Stars had to avoid singing their hit song: “Tsunami.”
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
I basically them trying to push the episode as quickly and as quietly as possible out the door, and just be done with it.

I understand that the Japanese corporations want to have an image of "attuned for the public's feeling", but from what I've seen, most Japanese people are blaming those two men for going independently to a warzone and getting caught. It isn't like a tsunami or a hurricane that are affecting people regardless of the people's actions, but (according to post made by most Japanese users on their sites) two people who looked for trouble, and found it.

I think that while this situation isn't pleasant to anyone involved, taking measures such as those are a bit extreme (I mean, it would be like TV stations won't air Lupin or Conan after each robbery).

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Given the situation in Japan, I think I agree with the networks on this.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
First of all, my condolences goes out to Kenji Goto's families (including his mother). What ISIS did is not honorable, and they got condemned worldwide for this killing.

enurtsol wrote:

Yeah I read that article 2 days ago, are we expecting anymore self-censorship from Japan, enurtsol?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
While I technically understand the reasons, I don't exactly see the point. I honestly believe it does more harm then good by giving these terrorist scumbags even more power to affect peoples' lives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1