• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump's J-Stars Victory VS+ English Gameplay Videos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
man i loved this game, playing it... not so much.
a great concept and great match ups, but the controls and general gameplay leaves MUCH to be desired.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Is a shame that they are not dubbing this game since it feels like every toonami kid's dream game and were are not getting the voices we grew up with.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
The PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita game will feature the original Japanese audio track with English subtitles. Over 50 characters from at least 32 titles appearing in Shonen Jump's 45th anniversary game in Japan. The premise of the game is "J Battle Festival, a dream festival that happens once in 45 years" and assembles heroes who exemplify friendship, hard work, and victory.

So judging from this article and the list of characters appearing in the game, it looks like no characters got cut out for the western release, am I correct?? If nothing is cut out and no legal complication came out of this, then I'm amazed. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
^

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/02/02/shonengamez-j-stars-victory-vs-interview-menus-character-roster-revealed/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDFRwU9Z8Ko

Sure seems that way and judging by a post in the linked article's comments, both PS3 & PS4 versions are getting physical releases.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
Is a shame that they are not dubbing this game since it feels like every toonami kid's dream game and were are not getting the voices we grew up with.

It would get way too expensive and time-consuming to line things up with the various voice actors. Plus a lot of characters in the game have never been dubbed into English, so they would have to do a lot of original casting.
Snackster1001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
No english dubbing? That's depressing. Especially considering that there's a good amount of fans of the mainstream shounen (Dbz, bleach, naruto, etc.) that prefer some of the english voices. They should've just dubbed all the characters that have an english voice and kept the rest of the cast in Japanese
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
man i loved this game, playing it... not so much.
a great concept and great match ups, but the controls and general gameplay leaves MUCH to be desired.

This is a problem these types of games have ALWAYS run into. One of the big things I've noticed with anime fighting games is that they're trying to replicated those big, epic fights a lot of battle anime are known for. I can understand that; who doesn't want to relive the Frieza-Goku fight or have Yusuke and Toguro replicate their showdown in the Dark Tournament? However, one of the problems is that due to all the damn empty space in those arenas, things turn problematic. Depth is sacrificed for spectacle and there's no way to avoid that people can just run around and win in the most boring way imaginable.

Hack and slash games do this better, such as in the DMC series where Dante and Nero were taking bosses the size of buildings and giving this epic sense of scale. For some reason that's a lot more difficult to replicate in a 3D fighting game.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Snackster1001 wrote:
They should've just dubbed all the characters that have an english voice and kept the rest of the cast in Japanese

That makes no sense. Why only dub roughly around 25% of the game? I mean if your gonna go dub, then you might as well dub 100% of the game. And some of the original VAs have died or are just no longer in the industry. Also it would cost a lot more money & time, besides I'm sure it's taking quite a bit of effort to just translate.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty disappointed in the amount of characters, they could've gone all out but too. Also, this doesn't need dub, period.
gel309

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly glad they kept the original japanese audio... Can't wait to hear Tomokazu as Gintoki Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It's so disappoiting that Allen Walker is support only, but at least Himura Kenshin is playable.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
@AiddonValentine

if the mechanics were similar to say tekken or blazeblue it could have made an excellent fighter game but to be honest itd be kind weird restricting these heros to such limited environment but what they did here made it just as weird since the system is so clunky.

Idk why they didn't make it more like Naruto Ninja Storm, i mean it wasnt the best fighting system but it was enjoyable enough. They were made by the same company weren't they?
It boggles my mind that when we the fans get the games/crossovers that we really want, its always offset by something, like a string attached
Sanyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
I only hope the third installment gets a Xbox Release, I don't wanna waste $400 for a PS4 if this is the only game I'll play.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:

I think only a handful of them have been on Toonami. A large portion of these haven't been dubbed, and out of the ones that have some have only been partly dubbed. The only one people really want dubbed is Dragonball because of the terrible voice that Goku has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2