• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online Store (sales & rentals) Reviews/Feedbacks

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me started on the lack of telecom infrastructure.....

So I googled "anime rental service" and got a hit.
http://www.animelane.com
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I have not been renting for the last few years, but that is mostly because I do not usually feel any great urgency to watch some particular new show.
But if I did feel the need to watch something fairly new I would consider renting because streaming is not a viable option.
In addition to the Internet stores I could still rent locally if I wanted to because there are still some rental stores open. The largest local video rental store recently moved into a larger building. Apparently their business has increased since they do not have competition from Blockbuster.
So renting definitely is possible.

But I do not do it because it really is not very cheap.
I would rather watch something that I already own, borrow from the library, or wait for a bargain release and a great sale.

But I still might consider a rental if I decide that I need to watch something that is not in the library and is too new for a bargain sale.
EDIT: I just thought that I might consider renting Sword Art Online because it is not likely to get a bargain release, but I cannot find it available for rental anywhere.

I think that adding rental stores to this thread was a good idea.

Last edited by Touma on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen many anime shows like all of you have but if they sound interesting I buy them off amazon or right stuf (depending on what the item is and the price difference). I end up feeling like an outsider considering that everyone has seen a lot of shows and I haven't. But I try new anime if they are on TV or if they sound interesting by buying them. I don't much care for renting typically because some people put scratches on them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The main reason most of us have seen so many shows is we've been at it awhile. The easiest way to build up the numbers is to follow the current shows since they're just so damn numerous and streaming subscriptions are cheap, but if your bandwidth won't support it or you're under one of those ungodly data caps, I'd recommend renting if at all possible, given the high cost of a series you might not even like.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't rent them and I prefer not to because some people don't handle DVDs carefully. If its possible I start out with a few episodes and then I write it down for future purchase if I like it. I can't do a monthly subscription simply because with bills and insurance we can't afford any type of monthly subscription. I can't find any free ones either.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
If your internet connection will handle streaming, Crunchyroll, Hulu and Funimation all have free episodes. You have to put up with some ads as the price. Also for simulcast shows you have to wait a week to see the free version.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
What about English dub?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
^
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
*manages to somehow stop rolling across the floor and wipes tears from face*
Unless the series is very old, the answer is no.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
@chrissycrbn

Funimation has posted a few dubs, but I think they are for subscribers only. I strongly suggest you learn to deal with if not prefer watching subtitled shows.

The problem with being a dub watcher only is that you are more or less limited to buying physical media or dealing with the few sites that rent physical media. In addition, a lot of shows are simply never dubbed. Insisting on dubs will severely limit your involvement in anime.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
I can try to deal with sub shows. I can't promise it will work.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to promise us anything. It is your hobby, how you approach it is up to you. However, if you learn to deal with subtitled anime, there is a whole world of it available for free, streaming. If you limit yourself to dubbed anime, you are limited to what you can buy, rent or subscribe to and some anime may never be available to you.

Your choice.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
What dubbed anime do you guys enjoy?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Bacanno, because it takes place in the US and everyone is supposed to be speaking English.

Black Lagoon, all of the ship's crew is American except Rock. They would be speaking English. In one of the arcs in the second season they are in Japan and Rock is translating from Japanese to English for the Russians.

Ranma 1/2 because that is how I watched it when I first got into anime back in 1997.

Otherwise I mostly watch all shows subbed. A lot of what I have I couldn't tell you if it had a dub or not.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29