• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Death Parade English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Wonder if the point of casting Newbies for the simulcast dubs is for Funimation to get back at people who complain that they only use the same VAs. I like Alex as Decim but I need to hear more from the other characters.

None of these VAs are new though, probably with the exception of Alex Organ and even then he's been in a few shows.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
>Good cast on paper
>ADR script writer and director who both know their way around horror
>Clip that inspires confidence

Yep, I think this dub will be A-OK.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This good news.

I have a friend who is Dub anime only type. Laughing
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This was sadly kinda funny. The acting was trying to be over the top yet tried to stay in the surreal tone.

And for Alex..... Or more to Zach Bolton as the director........How dare you have someone with the same delivery and similar tone to Marc Diraisons A list performances!? Lazy, simply lazy.

And once again Jamie sounds like either Brina or Coleen when in younger roles. Are you trying to prove my point majority of your actors sound the same?

Eitherway. The game was funny, the clip was funny. Sure if you want serious, then they should have watched YuGiOh season 0 as a baseline.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
This is a really good list. My one change would have been Jamieson Price as Decim doing his Giovanni or Count voice. Maybe even play Ginti.

I just want Jamieson Price in more things, okay?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

And for Alex..... Or more to Zach Bolton as the director........How dare you have someone with the same delivery and similar tone to Marc Diraisons A list performances!? Lazy, simply lazy.

is this an attempt at humor or are you really offended by this

bs3311 wrote:
And once again Jamie sounds like either Brina or Coleen when in younger roles.

that was Trina
meggu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
This was sadly kinda funny. The acting was trying to be over the top yet tried to stay in the surreal tone.

And once again Jamie sounds like either Brina or Coleen when in younger roles. Are you trying to prove my point majority of your actors sound the same?

Eitherway. The game was funny, the clip was funny. Sure if you want serious, then they should have watched YuGiOh season 0 as a baseline.

you seem to have passed your judgement about this dub pretty quickly after listening to a minute worth of dialogue from characters who probably will not be returning after episode 1, and about 8 seconds of dialogue from one main character out of the entire cast.

that is "sadly kinda funny."
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

I'm comediaclly offended by it, but now I might be a tad bit serious about it now. He can voice a GAR/shonnen badass to swauve ladies men or antagonists with a decieiving plan or insane personality.

This performance sounds like Marc's Fate/Zero/SAO work.

If Zach was going to give or desire Alex to give a Marc Diraison impersonation, then cast the real thing instead of just throwing his performance in the dirt for this. Unless it was for comedy, then it hit the nail on the head

Quote:

that was Trina

She's voicing that boring designed character? At least with Jamie she can go bitchy enjoyable with her work given her tone can be similar to said actresses. And now that I think about it, so can Trina. But now Marchi is just voicing fodder.

EDIT: Meggu an more responses.

Meguu wrote:
you seem to have passed your judgement about this dub pretty quickly after listening to a minute worth of dialogue from characters who probably will not be returning after episode 1, and about 8 seconds of dialogue from one main character out of the entire cast.

that is "sadly kinda funny."

Do not fret for me. I still have my expectations low for all these simuldubs as I said on my Youtube vids. So if there are any good performances, then my impression could rise up. If its good, then Funimations staff would be to blame for manipulating people with the clip. Just like I blamed Sentai for their Rika clip because when you actually see the full episode. Its actually an impressive performance. Yet they failed to properly present it.

But I overall don't get pissed off those because they are 15 second teasers with random voices with little context.

Thats why clips are just meaningless, just release the whole show dubbed on a silver platter the way its supposed to be. And then viewers seem to hype this stuff up just because they get to hear a tiny peice of the work. There waving keys in peoples face, move along or just critique it.

This on the other hand gives a whole min of exposition and animated direction for the viewer to have a glimpse at the world. It follows a full script of dialouge that should fit togethor.

Last edited by bs3311 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Quote:

that was Trina

She's voicing that boring designed character? At least with Jamie she can go bitchy enjoyable with her work given her tone can be similar to said actresses. And now that I think about it, so can Trina. But now Marchi is just voicing fodder.

right, Trina is Machiko, and Jamie will be "woman", Decim's assistant
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The clip sounded promising. I agree that Decim's voice could have been a bit deeper but it was still good. I hope the rest of the dub sounds good as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Looking at the Relationship section of "Bonny Elizabeth Clinkenbeard" on Facebook, I found that Colleen is Bonny's older sister.

good for you

Why reply if you're going to be rude? Anyway, thanks for looking that up Kadmos1 because I was just wondering if there was a connection when I saw Bonny's last name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2