• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Mystical Laws Religious Anime Film Available via Video on Demand

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
This was the one where a Médecins Sans Frontières-like organisation was actually a secret resistance group fighting against an evil empire threating to take over the world, right? Possibly the least (unintentionally) hilarious of the Kofuku no Kagaku anime films yet.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
God this has to be the worse looking Anime film I have seen in years, everything looks fake and the colours are too flat. Short peace, which had a hell of a lot of CG, against all odds looked organic and alive.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
The film is an adaptation of a book by Ryuho Okawa, the founder of the controversial religious organization Happy Science (Kōfuku no Kagaku). The publishing arm of the organization produced the animated film alongside a live-action film adaptation of Okawa's Final Judgement.

So, would that make this the Japanese "Left Behind", or the Japanese "Battlefield: Earth"? Razz
Sounds like the quality is equivalent.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
This film looks like crap. I can't believe Japanese people animated this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
The film is an adaptation of a book by Ryuho Okawa, the founder of the controversial religious organization Happy Science (Kōfuku no Kagaku). The publishing arm of the organization produced the animated film alongside a live-action film adaptation of Okawa's Final Judgement.

So, would that make this the Japanese "Left Behind", or the Japanese "Battlefield: Earth"? Razz
Sounds like the quality is equivalent.

For those wondering why this faith is controversial, reasons include (1) incorporating Christian and Buddhist teachings and (2) that Okawa is believes that he is both a Buddha and the Savior.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For those wondering why this faith is controversial, reasons include (1) incorporating Christian and Buddhist teachings and (2) that Okawa is believes that he is both a Buddha and the Savior.

...But, this isn't the poison-gas-in-the-subway one, though?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
That was Aum Shinrikyo.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
I just watched the trailer to this and I've got to wonder,why on earth was this made? How in the world did Happy Science get talented animators,voice actors,etc to,in essence,make anime's answer to "Battlefield Earth?" It's a shame Roger Ebert is no longer alive. This is exactly the type of film he would have torn to shreds in one of his reviews. Oh,and one more question. Is Happy Science trying to get American members with this movie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1