• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: Arise's Broadcast to Add 2 New Episodes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Arise but I hope the two new episodes will live up to its name. I like the key visual for this upcoming show though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
So we finally get a new Ghost in the Shell TV series and it is just an alternate take on the OVAs with 2 new episodes. I see this release as nothing but a way to squeeze more money from the fans with minimal effort. This is very dissappointing. I'll watch just the 2 new episodes when they stream, but I sure won't be buying or supporting this release. I want new content, not a rehash of a story I never really cared for the first time.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Addition to the article, FUNimation has released Arise 3, just not on physical media (to my knowledge). All 3 episodes are available on Netflix streaming (just waiting for episode 4 to go up so I can watch all 4 together, since I've already seen 1 and 2 in theater).
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I picked up eps 1 & 2 on blu-ray (English dubbed release set).

Anyone know when the 3 & 4 set are coming?

I guess there's going to be a 5 & 6 too now?

Also I guess this at least answers the mystery as to whether the new movie is it's own thing or part of ARISE.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit complicated but i would like it if they incorporated the manga´s story too and leave the finished episodes alone and only make 2 new ones as the 4 we already have work fine on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The broadcast will recompile the four existing episodes and include two new episodes...

Recompile? So does this mean they are going to split up the OAV Arise episodes from 4 to 8 tv episodes (since the the OAV are 50 minutes eps) and add 2 more tv episodes for a total of 10 eps? Ugh, does this mean I'm going to have to buy Arise again in order to get those 2 extra episodes? Its kinda feeling like a cash grab. I'm a big fan of GITS, but I wasn't thrilled with Tow Ubukata's work on Arise, so even if Funimation brings the rest over I may just skip it.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this, personally. Rehashes are pretty standard at this point (S.A.C. got two, for example.) and at least this one comes with two episodes of new content. It's nice to have confirmation that the new film will be tied to arise in at least some capacity as well. I just hope funimation will continue their import releases with this since that's how I collected the OVAs.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this. I'm one of the few people that thought Arise was decent. Its too bad Ubukata is still writing it. Especially after Psycho-Pass 2, I don't have much confidence in the guy.

residentgrigo wrote:
This is a bit complicated but i would like it if they incorporated the manga´s story too and leave the finished episodes alone and only make 2 new ones as the 4 we already have work fine on their own.

Since SAC adapted a lot of the manga already, I'm not sure how much more they could adapt. I guess they could do some more stuff from Man-Machine Interface or Sleepless Eye.

bleachigo66 wrote:
I'm excited for this, personally. Rehashes are pretty standard at this point (S.A.C. got two, for example.) and at least this one comes with two episodes of new content.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either, since they did it with SAC. The OVAs were pretty short already, so I guess they're gonna split up each part in 3 episodes? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the 2 new episodes and of course the new movie.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Recompile? So does this mean they are going to split up the OAV Arise episodes from 4 to 8 tv episodes (since the the OAV are 50 minutes eps) and add 2 more tv episodes for a total of 10 eps?

I think it means that episodes 1-4 will be combined into one longer affair with appropriate cuts made, so they'll turn 4 episodes into 1 tighter film. That's my guess.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So confused right now...

Are we getting something like the Psycho-Pass New Edit?
Are we getting two new 50 minute episodes that will be purchasable along-side the 4 that I already own?
Am I going to have to buy the new recut TV broadcast version in order to get these extra episodes?

What the hell is this?

Can we just get an additional OVA and the movie? Please!! Simple is better.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
Recompile? So does this mean they are going to split up the OAV Arise episodes from 4 to 8 tv episodes (since the the OAV are 50 minutes eps) and add 2 more tv episodes for a total of 10 eps?

I think it means that episodes 1-4 will be combined into one longer affair with appropriate cuts made, so they'll turn 4 episodes into 1 tighter film. That's my guess.

I think the film comes afterwards which the tv show will tie into. It seems they are going to do what they did with Break Blade(also known as Broken Blade) which was 6 OVA films and they later broke it down to air on tv. They removed a few scenes and added others to make it a 12 episode tv version. They even use the same recompile wording:
Quote:
The new anime project for Yunosuke Yoshinaga's fantasy robot manga Broken Blade (Break Blade) will be a recompiled version of all six earlier films with additional new scenes...The updated 12-episode television version of the 2010-2011 films will add previously unanimated scenes, such as the battle to the death between the gifted warrior Girge and the specially selected Spartan robot unit.
The two extra episodes for Arise will probably be normal 22 minute tv length episodes.

relyat08 wrote:
Am I going to have to buy the new recut TV broadcast version in order to get these extra episodes?
There's a possibility that we may not even get it. Sentai released the Broken Blade/Break blade films but didn't bring over the recompiled tv show. On the other hand, Funimation did release the compiled movies of the Appleseed XIII tv show. The Appleseed XIII was kinda crazy to release, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were contractually obligated to do so to get the show. So I think it depends on whether Funi thinks GITS fans will double dip on this tv version or if they are contractually obligated to release this tv version anyways.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

There's a possibility that we may not even get it. Sentai released the Broken Blade/Break blade films but didn't bring over the recompiled tv show. On the other hand, Funimation did release the compiled movies of the Appleseed XIII tv show. The Appleseed XIII was kinda crazy to release, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were contractually obligated to do so to get the show. So I think it depends on whether Funi thinks GITS fans will double dip on this tv version or if they are contractually obligated to release this tv version anyways.

Normally I'd be fine with not getting it, but if it's going to add 40+ minutes of content that ties into the movie, it would really be a shame not to.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
Yo CoreSignal. You know that i am not into the original manga that much (i gave it a "So-so") but holy shit did this 9/10 ova improve in everything they readapted. So the usual'Smile'
I meant Sleepless Eye in my post only which tells it´s own parallel story. A 9/10 at the least and i have read the firts 3 volumes.
The GiTS 2.0 manga will never be touched i think as none know what it was about bit his transition into hentai was becoming more visible and manga 1,5 only tells confusing sidestrories.
Let´s see if they can beat Second Gig later in this version´s run which was a 10!
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Hey residentgrigo, I was guessing you were thinking of Sleepless Eye, too. I haven't read it myself yet, but I heard it was good, so it'd be great if they adapted some of that material. I wish Dark Horse or someone would localize the manga. With all the fanservice in GITS 2.0, I don't think it'd be a good choice for an anime adaptation either. And agreed, Second Gig is awesome.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yo again: Here is my MU (i cleaned up the page too) review for S.E. based on the first 3 volumes:
Kodansha USA publishes the ongoing S.A.C. manga btw.
The best GitS manga hands down (9/10):

I love the animes but the original manga continuity is a mess that went on a short downwards spiral thanks to the sequels so skip them all. The Koukaku Kidoutai - Stand Alone Complex manga is nearly as good as this one but only a slightly different adaptation of SAC so it is technically not needed. Sleepless Eye on the other hand is both a prequel and a side story to the Arise OVA (and now TV show) universe and 100% canon so it technically needs to be read between episodes. Most importantly off all is that the manga even slightly surpasses the new Tow Ubukata universe and he is one of my favorite sci-fi authors. The realistic art is phenomenal, Batou is the lead but Motoko has nearly as much screen time and their dynamic is as engaging as ever which I couldn’t make me happier. The later stories after the civil war of volume 1 are as good and the series also adapts (and of course improves) scenes form the original manga later. The violence and nudity are very tasteful and justified by context but the manga is reasonably gritty. Nothing really shocking but what else should one expect? It is a crime that this cyberpunk gem has to leave japan and my score could ARISE further if it keeps the quality up but shouldn´t it. Move on the the Mardock Scramble movies and Psycho-Pass 2 (the very average season 1 can be skipped) for further modern Ubukata quality. The original Armitage III OVA is also a nice companion piece but all 3 of them are a bit uneven at times despite their high entertainment value. The GitS animes are all a must of which Second Gig is even a perfect 10 and the related but lighter Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor universe and the surprisingly similar RideBack (manga) should please all.
If you only read one modern sci-fi manga make it this and let´s see where the new anime universe goes next. I just hope that they keep this team together for more tales of the fast and deep net but don´t ask me where Junichi´s newly found writing skills are coming form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2