• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Short Peace Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
My problem with short stories in general is because they are so short they give me little to no time to get invested with the characters and their settings, and more often than not they leave me wondering "What was the point?" I realize they're often about something, but that doesn't mean I get much of anything from them. That is unfortunately the case with Short Peace, Gambo especially (I honestly got a lot more out of Memories). The oscar-nominated Possessions was decent enough, but go figure that Opening was the one main thing I actually enjoyed--although literally about nothing at all it managed to succeed in being short and sweet on its own.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I got this way back in December, this review sure did take a while. Actually, I still have yet to watch past the first two shorts. One of these days I'm sure I'll feel compelled...
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Fans of "Possesion" should also check out "Coicent", which Sentai also put out as one of those aforementioned Blu-ray double features with the other short "Five Numbers". I, too, am happy to see Sentai releasing these odds-and-ends anthology titles.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Too bad Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day won't get a physical release. Short Peace will never be complete.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
I'm surpised that the review didn't mention the fact that Possesions was made by the director of Tokyo Ghoul. How the hell did Morita ended at Pierrot after that, I have no idea
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
cheshire1501 wrote:
I'm surpised that the review didn't mention the fact that Possesions was made by the director of Tokyo Ghoul. How the hell did Morita ended at Pierrot after that, I have no idea
He mentions it at the end of the first paragraph. Anyway I have yet to see this movie, but I really want to. I love omnibus animated films, and these look great. I have seen Gambo though, and even if the art was kind of rough I still thought it looked impressive. That fight scene in particular had a really brutal and visceral feel to it.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
It's worth watching once just for the animation. Not something I could see myself revisiting though.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Short Peace film shorts, but yeah, the main problem is that everything is just too short. Maybe it's just me, but I actually thought the Possessions segment was the weakest. Yes, it looked beautiful, but story-wise it felt like three random scenes put together. Combustible was alright, but I didn't like the ending because it just sorta ends and thats it. I really liked Gambo. Short and packs a punch. However, like Theron mentioned I didn't like the grainy texture or sheen that they used on the picture. It made everything look fuzzy. And I didn't like the ending for the same reason as Combustible.

Next to Gambo, Farewell to weapons was probably my second favorite. Visually, I loved all the details on the weapons and armor. It reminded me of that 80s/90s sci-fi anime look. And believe it or not, story-wise, it fits well with the 20 minute runtime. I think any longer and it would've gotten boring. The ending is a little weird (and funny), though.

It'd be great if somebody expanded on any of the stories presented in these shorts.

pachy_boy wrote:
My problem with short stories in general is because they are so short they give me little to no time to get invested with the characters and their settings, and more often than not they leave me wondering "What was the point?"

I think Short Peace is really a visual/animation showcase above all else. Otherwise, the Magnetic Rose segment from Memories is the only other short film I can think of that presents an impactful short story.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Robot Carnival is a bunch of shorts too; maybe that's more of your speed.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Too bad Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day won't get a physical release. Short Peace will never be complete.

Not so. I bought this release back in May of last year. I have yet to try the game, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The short films play without problems on a Region A player.

I purchased it specifically because the ADV release was going to lack the game. I felt that if I'm going to buy it, I might as well purchase it as it was supposed to be released. It was just a little more expensive (probably about $50; I think that the price fell a bit after I purchased it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1