• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As an added bonus, Sinha actually gets two lines.

HE DID? That's the most he's spoken to anyone more than a squirrel.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story is far from over, but it is starting to feel like the show is moving towards a finale. A battle with Kumji looms next episode, and with one dragon left to find and a kingdom to reclaim, it seems fair to worry that the anime will end without another season announced. Hopefully we won't be left hanging, but even if that is the end result, it looks like there will plenty of excitement in the coming episodes to look forward to.

I've been following along with these reviews for the past month or so, but it's definitely interesting to see how the speculations evolve & diverge from the manga. There's a lot more story to tell, mostly of the political-drama & character-development variety (akin to both Basara and Saiunkoku), which plays out better in manga I think, than anime. So while I'd be glad to see a second season, it'll still be great if the anime ends where I suspect it's going to end.

Quote:
That is a statement we hear repeated a lot this week, that Yona is “just” a girl or “only” a girl. ... But she could also be seeing herself as somehow less capable because she's female. ... both speak to a world that largely assumes her to be weaker because of her gender. Gigan is the first person who voices the thought that women can be strong too.

Gi-gan is a pivotal role model for Yona, but in different way than you're saying, I think. Since Yona's mom died early in her life, and we don't get to see her interact closely with any ladies at court, we only have a vague sense of what she thinks it means to be a woman noble/leader (even the Emperor's daughter or wife). She's pretty much modeled her leadership approach on the men she's known - her father, Soo-won, Hak, and maybe some of the other Generals. They're all good role models, even if they weren't teaching her directly.

I don't think Yona thinks of herself as less-capable because of her gender, and if you look at most of the extras, they show women working right alongside the men in complementary roles. Rather, I think she recognizes - and rightly so - that she lacks experience, especially of goings-on in the kingdom/"the world". She has that sense of responsibility towards her people (noblesse oblige), but unlike Soo-won, she mostly has no clue what the people actually need.

At one level, yeah, Captain Gi-gan is a woman in command, which is an awesome change of pace, but at a more personal level, she's Yona's first proper teacher/mentor in literally how to be a leader. Hak is clearly too much in love with Yona to do the job properly, and for all his prowess as a warrior/strategist, he's ultimately got the mentality of a follower, not an emperor.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yun excels this series to A+ rating.

MOD EDIT: This isn't 4chan. Mind your language. Substance-less one-line posts aren't really acceptable here either.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I am going to die when Yona ends if it doesn't get a season two at this rate~ Yun is just amazing, he was like the embodiment of the waifu jokes from the waifu's side.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
I was watching the first 2 episodes yesterday and I kinda find this anime a bit different from other. I agreed with Rebecca's observation on Kouka and Korea comparison, I noticed this too probably because I'm a big K-drama fan. Speaking of K-drama, I'm kinda surprised nobody brought this up because when I was watching the first 2 episodes it reminded me of historical K-drama (particularly some titles from MBC, which make some of the best historical K-drama). I think this is why I'm attracted to this anime, the Korean-esque setting and a plot that feels like something out of a MBC's historical K-drama. I'm not the only one that has this thought, other reviewers outside of ANN have compared Yona of the Dawn to Korean dramas:

From Mega Prince Ytay:

Quote:
This feels like it should have been a korean drama more than an anime. Plus, the names are already korean, so yeah.

From the Fandom Post:

Quote:
The whole setting is evocative of ancient Korea and the tone of the show sort of reminds me of those Korean historical dramas.

From another reviewer:

Quote:
I actually really think this series could flourish well not only as an anime but also as a Korean drama or movie.

As a K-drama fan, the first 2 episode of this anime does borrow a trope from a historical K-drama. Like spoiler[when Yona's father, King Il was killed by a royal family member, Soo-won. Yona has to ]

One K-drama, Queen Seon deok (I want to clarify I just started to watch that drama so I don't have enough knowledge to compare this) had a bit of a similar premise at the beginning but there is a difference: spoiler[in Queen Seondeok, the princess as a baby had to escape from the Korean kingdom of Silla because the concubine, Mishil wanted to take over the kingdom and killing the princess to stop a prophecy that prevent Mishil from taking over the kingdom.]

Overall, I do like the anime and this is probably the most promising I've seen.

opening music: I do like the opening song, it's different and it fit the historical Asian setting. But given the Korean-esque setting and the K-drama plot, I wish the opening music had a more traditional Korean instrument sound into it. I would've like to hear something like this. Also given the hero is a female, I think a heroic tone would've fit the opening for this anime in my opinion, something like this particular theme from Queen Seondeok.

I don't have any say on the closing theme since I need to listen to it more. But I'm kinda surprised the producers didn't get a K-pop singer to sing the ending song given the K-drama influence used in this anime.

Anyway, I do like this anime or should I say K-drama. Laughing I hope to see a live-action K-drama adaptation (I want MBC to adapt this) if this was to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
The author's has specifically stated it takes place in Korea like country with the spoiler[Kai empire being based of china and Sei being based off Japan.] Of course at this rate the only mention of those two empires was when Hak asked about Jaeha's clothes in the anime. Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was certainly a feast for the eyes. Lots of leaping poses and whirling kicky goodness. Very unexpected cliffhanger too.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
OMG spoiler[YONA & SUN-WON] meet this episode. how the heck was that allowed to happen. I mean they haven't even meet the final dragon yet.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been so emotionally invested in a firework since Anohana, by the end of episode 21 I had my hands in the air, failing about and then the ending theme song started and I realized just WHERE my arms happened to be and I spent the last week despirate for the next episode.

I knew the ending of episode 22 was coming, after all I hjad read the manga, but still when spoiler[Yona ran into suu-won] My body went cold, I lost my breath and I swear my heart probably stopped. I don't know if I've ever had such a strong reaction to a scene WHEN I knew it was going to happen.

Seriously this show is amazing, I wish more people watched it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, I also ended up watching these two episodes back to back. Made for a very intense hour! My only somewhat major, somewhat minor quibble was Yona's spoiler[sprained ankle]. It gets played up for drama in the first half of 21, and then gets promptly dropped. At the very least, I would've expected the fireworks bit to have incorporated her spoiler[injury] a little more. :/ Eh, it's not a major point, but I'm always bugged when creators forget their own details. Other than that, though, LOVED these episodes. I'm starting to wonder if Yona has a dragon part inside of her as well, considering she's also technically a dragon. >.>
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Was so painful to wait for this episode! xD Especially that I knew that particular scene was definitely coming this episode. And it did not disappoint me, still give me a chill when I watched it!
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Funnily enough, I also ended up watching these two episodes back to back. Made for a very intense hour! My only somewhat major, somewhat minor quibble was Yona's spoiler[sprained ankle]. It gets played up for drama in the first half of 21, and then gets promptly dropped. At the very least, I would've expected the fireworks bit to have incorporated her spoiler[injury] a little more. :/ Eh, it's not a major point, but I'm always bugged when creators forget their own details. Other than that, though, LOVED these episodes. I'm starting to wonder if Yona has a dragon part inside of her as well, considering she's also technically a dragon. >.>

If it makes you feel any better, after meeting Kumijin (what ever his name was) she was so mad that she stated she "forgot"spoiler[ That her ankle hurt] I assume that while her adrenaline was pumping she defiantly didn't have a spare thought for spoiler[that ankle.] And for a spoiler[Grade I sprain] it is possible for the swelling and pain to be dramatically reduced within 24-48 hours.

In episode 21 she spoiler[got captured] spent the night, spent most of the day with minimal movement and then came night again. She noticed pain when she started becoming active again but working into it the pain, it decreased. Not unheard of.

I don't really think Yona is a dragon in the sense of the warriors we have met along her journey. King Hiryuu became fully human and because he was just a human that is why the other dragons felt the need to give the dragon blood to select humans as warriors. I think she is 100% human just as King Hiryuu wished to be.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't say for sure, since the manga hasn't revealed it yet (or not as far as I've read anyway), but I always think of Yona as having the heart of a dragon. Unflagging, resolute in the face of danger, near-to-bursting with love of comrades and country, etc. Who knows if the author will back that up, but that's in my head when I read/watch it.

As for the Battle of Awa, it was a legitimately amazing sequence. It felt very emotional without being too contrived about it, and the double-wham moments were handled incredibly well. I agree with KidaYuki above, even knowing what was coming didn't lessen the impact at all.

Two more episodes, so I think they'll handle spoiler[the encounter with Soo-won] and its results in one ep, then the last one will be spoiler[the final dragon] and a "The Story Continues" finale. I thought they might end with the former, but they paced Awa out really well, and there's just enough space for the latter.

Anyone know if the manga's getting picked up? This seems right up Viz's alley.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Anyone know if the manga's getting picked up? This seems right up Viz's alley.

I'd like to imagine some publisher is considering it, but Shojo Beat wasn't too encouraging in their latest "About Manga Aquisitions" post (tumblr, facebook—same content but the editor took the time to respond to some follow up questions/comments at FB). The gist is, they get a lot of requests for Popular Manga with an Anime, but those series are also frequently scanlated and distributed online, which is basically impossible to take down once it's out there. History shows that one such hugely-popular series did get licensed anyway (by a publisher no longer in business) and apparently sales were terrible—not just "not quite the hit we were hoping for" but "couldn't sell enough to cover costs of publishing".

Feel free to go (politely) harass the scanlators and ask them to quit it so the legal license has a hope of a chance.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
The gist is, they get a lot of requests for Popular Manga with an Anime, but those series are also frequently scanlated and distributed online, which is basically impossible to take down once it's out there. History shows that one such hugely-popular series did get licensed anyway (by a publisher no longer in business) and apparently sales were terrible—not just "not quite the hit we were hoping for" but "couldn't sell enough to cover costs of publishing".

Feel free to go (politely) harass the scanlators and ask them to quit it so the legal license has a hope of a chance.

Thanks for the links. Didn't get through all the Facebook comments, but the post itself was enlightening, if not entirely surprising. I will freely admit that I am of two minds about Viz's stance here.

On the "fellow business owner" side, I agree that just because you personally like a series, or even consider it to be of exceptional quality, doesn't mean that you can justify licensing/releasing it from a business perspective. Piracy probably hurts manga more than anime - quite a lot of people still buy the discs post-fansub/broadcast for extras/higher quality, but unless you're a hardcore re-reader, you generally only need to read a story once.

On the "pragmatic manga fan" side though, I think the pirate sites/scanlations fill a real need. The blow to the manga business due to the fall of bricks & mortar bookstores cannot be understated - shelf-browsing is the #2 way people discover new series after "I saw the anime". Without that, you've really only got the scans and the handful of online free-sample chapters to get people sampling new series (reviews will only get you so far, and most stuff isn't reviewed).

Then of course there's that quirk that not every legal reader is also a buyer. I'm a dedicated Skip Beat reader, but I get my books at the library. I stopped buying print books altogether a couple years back (no more room) which is fine for most books, but the legal digital manga selection is still paltry. I'm hoping that the e-manga market will improve though (especially the quality of the legal apps).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8