• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
In my mind, good character writing is when you wouldn't mind seeing an entire series about a side character. So believe me when I say that Yoshimura is a great character, and I wish there was a side story or something about him. The show has enough similarities and differences to the manga that I hope what happens next doesn't have to be a surprise, but makes me see the overall world of Tokyo ghoul in a different light.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
In my mind, good character writing is when you wouldn't mind seeing an entire series about a side character. So believe me when I say that Yoshimura is a great character, and I wish there was a side story or something about him. The show has enough similarities and differences to the manga that I hope what happens next doesn't have to be a surprise, but makes me see the overall world of Tokyo ghoul in a different light.

There are a few characters I'd like to have spin-offs of actually, including Yoshimura and Kishou Arima.

Spin-offs about Rize and Chie Hori from Re would be especially great, as I'm sure they'd make for interesting protagonists.

Hell, I just want more info on Rize in general, we know absolutely nothing about the woman. While some would say that she ultimately doesn't matter as a character beyond her impact on Kaneki, the series has gone out of it's way several times to note just how mysterious she really was. I'd like to think there was a point to that.
Bern73

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
Not much actually happened in this episode, but at the same time SO MUCH HAPPENED, and it was all great.

I think it speaks highly of Shinohara as a person that he's perfectly willing to converse and drink coffee with Yoshimura even though he knows, or at least thinks he knows, that he's the Owl. Same with Yoshimura not having any problem with being friendly with an Investigator who suspects him.

I have a theory of who the Owl is, but it's more of a gag theory than anything. On the extremely slim chance it turns out to be true however, I'm gonna put it in spoiler tags.

Basically, I (half-jokingly) think the Owl might be spoiler[Takatsuki, the author, who is also implied to be Eto.] I base this on and only on the fact that spoiler[the Owl and the author are the only characters in the entire series so far shown with green hair.] If that's the case, I think it's pretty clever of the Owl to spoiler[disguise herself (presuming it's a girl) as just another minion in Aogiri.]

Really silly to base this theory on something so trivial, but it's the only thing resembling a clue that I've got. Laughing
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Bern73 wrote:

Basically, I (half-jokingly) think the Owl might be spoiler[Takatsuki, the author, who is also implied to be Eto.] I base this on and only on the fact that spoiler[the Owl and the author are the only characters in the entire series so far shown with green hair.] If that's the case, I think it's pretty clever of the Owl to spoiler[disguise herself (presuming it's a girl) as just another minion in Aogiri.]

Really silly to base this theory on something so trivial, but it's the only thing resembling a clue that I've got. Laughing

spoiler[You're actually right on the money.]
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Hope, I might be completely off base about this, but that last review made it sound like ghouls were an allegory for the handicapped. Not that that is a bad thing. It is a way more refreshing an interpretation and commentary than the vampires as gay people in True Blood.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I love you, budget. Please make babies with me. Anime catgrin
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Well, almost. Still some ugly babies in this episode. But ALMOST perfect! Very Happy
BWLJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
I never considered the books/language as a bridge between characters/ghouls-humans. It actually fits pretty well with the sequel as well.
DeadRed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
To be perfectly honest I think they should have removed the Tsukiyama scene. It didn't seem to make much sense without all of the time they had originally spent together, and this season just made him a creep.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
I guess Shuu's scene came to be a mock-up of the classical character worried and trying to stop the main character, but even then it was weak and poorly animated in comparison with the rest, and it breaks the tone of the rest of the episode.

I would like to tell (although the characters don't know it) that if Kaneki didn't join Aogiri "to protect Anteiku", then the mummy/writer wouldn't have taken so much attention in Kaneki so she could find what is protecting and attracting the CCG to Anteiku. Oh the irony~~

Question, is confirmed this will be the last season and this end in 3 episodes, or is not confirmed? Because if it's not I cannot see at all this ending in only 3 episodes with all the hundreds of pendent characters and plot threads still in the air.
Schierke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
I really really hope that they don't ruin the underground scene with Hide and Kaneki and replace it with Touka. I have a feeling thats whats going to happen and its such an important scene Sad Judging by what they did with Tsukiyamas character, it probably will happen... sigh
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
^ Please, put it in spoiler spoiler[like this] and advice that it is an spoiler of the manga. Many who only watched the anime would like to go spoiler-free to those scenes whatever happen or not.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Warning: incoming rant

Yeah, the Shuu scene on the rooftop was really bad. Not because it was unintentionally comical and ugly, though that is part of it.

It's because it makes no sense.

In both the anime and manga, Shuu starts out as an extremely self-centered, hedonistic individual, who couldn't give any less of a **** about Kaneki as a person, treating him as something to be eaten and nothing more.

In the manga, when Kaneki leaves Anteiku (but doesn't join Aogiri; he forms a small group consisting of Shuu, as well as Banjou and his gang) and after Shuu sees firsthand almost everything that he goes through, as well as the huge toll it takes on his mental state, Shuu actually starts to show care and concern for Kaneki's well-being, this time as "Kaneki the person" and not as "Kaneki the meal", which is a first for him. It serves to humanize him, just like how almost every other character, even villainous ones like Mado, Suzuya (kind of, I'm not sure I'd call Suzuya villainous exactly; definitely crazy though), and Ayato, have very human aspects to them. This makes the chapter where he attacks Kaneki to prevent him from taking part in the battle actually quite sad, because he doesn't want to lose the one person he's actually started to care about.

In Root A, none of that is true. Shuu continues being nothing more than a complete freak. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but have Shuu and Kaneki even interacted or seen each other once since Season 2 started? If not, then it doesn't make any sense for Shuu to react the way he does in this episode.

I mean, Shuu was never a super important character, but it just really bothers me.

Also, what happened with Banjou? He just completely disappeared.

And what in the ******* **** are they doing with Touka? She's not supposed to be joining the battle. That's incredibly reckless, and it just spits in the face of her development throughout the whole series. In the manga, she spoiler[listens to Yomo, and leaves with him.]

I swear, if they kill off Touka, I'm gonna write off this supposedly "original story" (since so many things have been the same, you have to wonder what the point of changing a few things was) as a complete failure.

Man, I really hate complaining, but when a series annoys me as much as this has, I really can't help myself.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Well, almost. Still some ugly babies in this episode. But ALMOST perfect! Very Happy

That kid was a mistake.

Also, anyone else find it the tiniest bit annoying that the soldiers always stare at their opponents before firing. You see ghouls, you point your guns at them, but you don't start firing. Are these guys dumb or is that like a military protocol I don't know about?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
well done review, i mostly agree with your points (though you seem to read much more out of each episode than i do Anime hyper)

One question though; are you judging the show based on its dub, or its sub? Some of the dialogue you quote seems just a little off from what i remember of the subtitles
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8