• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girls High Sub.DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
Sound right up my alley.

I do remember seeing a picture of one of the girls after she gave herself a haircut at a friend's house.
That kind of caught me off guard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking of a more mature Azumanga Daioh for some reason.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:14 am Reply with quote
No, its much more raunchy than AD. I bought the first volume of the manga, but I am too embarrassed to be caught reading it, so I have never read a page
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well that's why I said "more mature" Razz
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's on this volume, but one of my favorite parts is where the one girl slaps the other...and instead of a moment of slow-motion, impressionistically brighter-than-bright background melodrama, it’s just a sharp CRACK across her face. It really sounded like it hurt! Put life into the cliché by playing it straight.

The manga’s a little better than the anime, I think.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
So raunchy... But sooo funny... I literally sprayed pop out of my nose when they snuck into the girl's locker room to have a peek.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching volume 1. Oh my! I haven't laughed out loud like that for a long time.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought the show suffered a bit from the 'Who's the audience?' syndrome. From the build-up/source material I was expecting something along the lines (in spirit) of 'Green Green', but 'Girls High' ran as more of a female young teen comedy with some half-hearted ecchi oddly crafted on.

Usually, pointedly raunchy/fan-service vehicles plot situations as if seen through the eyes of Benny Hill, and feature very alluring/detailed character models to show off improbable curves and physics-defying bounce. 'Girls High' features decently mediocre artwork, and most of the ecchi moments seem almost a little flat.

It certainly has some laughs, but I couldn't help wondering if a fan-service/guy comedy enthusiast wants to sit through the teenage girl comedy bits, or a female fan wants to sit through the obviously male-aimed ecchi moments. Just kind of an odd mash to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1