• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shojo Beat Adds Honey So Sweet, Bloody Mary Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Honey seems like a really cute series. I was just thinking I wanted to read a new school romance manga. Can't wait till it's released! Thanks Viz!
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I was all about the Bloody Mary until I read that last pronoun. I should have guessed yuri wouldn't make the Shojo Beat imprint, but in what world is "Mary" a guy's name?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Why am I almost never impressed by their shoujo acquisitions? It's always some goth vampire crap. People like to bash Tokyopop, but don't appreciate that they had an eye for standout titles.
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Honey seems cute. I will definitely check this out!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Corinthian wrote:

Quote:
in what world is "Mary" a guy's name?

This is Japan we are discussing. They frequently do weird and wonderful things with the English language as well as English and other European names. They don't have the associations we do.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
How many vampire romances can Viz publish? I'm not complaining, some of them are quite good, it just seems like the only thing Shojo Beat gets besides teeny bopper romance is vampire romance (and very occasionally josei romance--one of which is a vampire romance, too).
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I interpreted Shojo Beat's pre-announcement hint on twitter ("Hint 3: Two male protagonists") to mean that both Mary and Maria are guys. I too laughed and shook my head at all of Japan when I realized.

Anyway. I'm excited for the cute series :) Betsuma manga is always a winner with me!!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Corinthian wrote:

Quote:
in what world is "Mary" a guy's name?

This is Japan we are discussing. They frequently do weird and wonderful things with the English language as well as English and other European names. They don't have the associations we do.

Indeed. It's an odd but hilarious trend. I've seen characters named Joshua (old woman), Claire (guy), Shasha and Lime (both guys), and Gertrude (yet again, guy) among others.

The concept of a suicidal vampire could be interesting, and Honey So Sweet sounds a bit off-the-beaten-path as well. Sign me up, Viz.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
^Gertrude from [b[The Recipe of Gertrude[/b]? If I remember correctly, they address the name thing, at least. Man, I wish Viz would rescue that one, great series!
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Viz! I'll definitely pick up Honey So Sweet. Very Happy
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ha! When I saw Bloody Mary in the title it made me think of the seinen manga by Kishi Torajirou about demons that suck the life out of people. I said for shojo beat that can't be right? Then I see its about 2 guys named Mary and Maria and I feel like aren't we done with the Interview with the Vampire stuff yet? Still my confusion with the title cracked me up, plus the guys names. Laughing
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How many vampire romances can Viz publish? I'm not complaining, some of them are quite good, it just seems like the only thing Shojo Beat gets besides teeny bopper romance is vampire romance (and very occasionally josei romance--one of which is a vampire romance, too).

Yes, I sort of wonder.
I'm glad there are people happy about the licenses. But the announcements this year have made me think. I'd normally take an interest in Bloody Mary. However, all I could think was I've seen it done before. I feel like there is less variety than in the past for Shojo Beat licenses. 10 years ago I was buying a lot more from Shojo Beat, and they were stories in all sorts of genres. Now I'm only buying one (Spell of Desire). I know I'm not their primary target audience so I don't expect all of their titles to appeal to me. But, I wasn't a teen back when the imprint started either. When I can think of unlicensed shoujo or josei manga series I'd buy from Shojo Beat I know it's not total cynicism for the categories on my part either.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
I definitely see a couple (frustratingly) specific trends running through recent Shojo Beat titles, with the supernatural pretty-boys on one side and the cute-and-sweet school life stories on the other. I enjoy the latter (although some of their cute-and-sweet are a little too fluffy and insubstantial for me) but it's certainly different than the early years of the imprint, with older manga and sports manga and historical manga all getting a chance. Probably none of those titles were spectacular hits: Crimson Hero got dropped, and Kaze Hikaru is trickling out at a volume per year... (but I love it dearly so I'm thankful for even that much!!)

I guess SB feels the need to stick to "safe" licenses at this point. But more and more, I find myself importing the series I want to read, and counting the ones that do get licensed as a lucky bonus.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
katscradle: I keep saying they should bring over the Nana creator's older stuff, but they keep ignoring me. And if they're gonna rescue Tokyopop stuff, even in Kindle-only form, shouldn't it be Kodocha and Marmalade Boy?
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
B-b-but what about Blue Spring Ride?!

Honey intrigues me. Bloody Mary, kinda but not really. Regardless, I'll likely tell my library to buy both titles when the time comes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2