• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kazuyoshi Fukuba, Executive Director of Pony Canyon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
I find the company name more interesting than what prices they are charging.
NorbieH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
Quote:
We did actually get advice from Aniplex of America, and we exchanged information with the managers of Japan's Aniplex. I definitely think that was one of the triggers.

If they want to do premium releases, they should have asked NIS America for advice instead. I think NIS America releases are much nicer than Aniplex's (and a much better value).

If I'm going to get a premium release, I want a nice chipboard artbox and an artbook (not a cheaply made booklet). I have no use for a couple postcards or a small poster.

If I'm going to get a premium release I want nice postcards or a small poster. I have no use for a chipboard art box or an art book
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I find the company name more interesting than what prices they are charging.

Oh certainly, ever since I first saw that logo on the U.S. Manga Corps Project A-ko 21 years ago (the first time I rented it), "Pony Canyon" always brought to mind the American west and, more specifically, a canyon full of ponies. At the time, I just imagined normal ponies in a canyon, but, since about 2010, now the ponies I imagine are rainbow-coloured and magical. In a canyon.

However, despite both words making a little bit of sense together in a Wild West context, even if the idea of an actual canyon full of ponies is silly, it's one of those cool company names that was brought about by a mundane merger, two record labels, Canyon Records and Nippon Broadcasting System's Pony Records, merged into a single company in October 1987.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Then we could have had Canyon Pony, which sounds like the title of a 60's kids' series about an orphan who befriends a wild pony he (because 60's) found injured in a canyon and nurses back to health, and together they live in the canyon and fight off pony rustlers, Squeersian orphan wranglers, and other varmints. Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
.....Eventually, they'll train consumers to buy the more expensive initial release, even if it's LE-only (ohaythere, BakaTest 2), if they want their HD anime.

Kind of sad really. Today, I just picked up the BD 3D/BD/Digital HD combo pack for Guardians of the Galaxy for $29 and picked up the BD/DVD/Digital HD steelcase combo pack for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 for $19. Yet in the anime world, supposedly HD is considered some sort of premium that psychic vampires would drain you into a withered husk for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8