• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Lagoon's Katabuchi to Crowdfund 'To All the Corners of the World' Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Too bad it's Japanese only. Maybe they'll do one for releasing it in the overseas/English market later, unless someone licenses it first.

The page also shows some interesting field and historical research they did at Hiroshima, like:

ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope this gets funded, I read the manga awhile ago and loved the artwork.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to support this. Too bad the campaign is Japanese-only.
Obviously they only need a small amout of money. An anime movie can easily cost a couple of million dollars, so 20,000,000 yen is not much at all.

I love the artwork so much, and the setting and the story description even as much. There are quite a few upcoming films that promise to be great, but this is definitely the one I'm looking forward to the most.

And again, I can't recommend Kouna Fumiyos manga "Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms" enough which is also available in English. Really powerful and touching post-post-WWII story.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a beautiful film, and I do hope we're able to see it in English someday. Slowly but surely, it looks like some directors who don't want to make "Moeblob Soft Tennis Tea Time REJOICE II," "I Can't Believe My Onee-Chan Is A Bodacious Witch!" or "Burning Up Shonen Fighting Spirit Ignite!!" are flocking to KickStarter to bring back anime that doesn't pander to the mass market... and that makes me happy.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
^ I really don't understand this kind of mutual-exclusivity mentality.

Why does it matter that people make other stuff you don't like? Do you think directors should only work on one thing? Very few directors, writers, animators, creators in the industry have that mentality.

Also, it's never "pandering" if people working on it have a genuine interest. A politician who panders to a group means he is appealing to that group soley for votes. Pandering implies he has no interest himself. It's from "Pandarus" who was a trojan in Greek myths, so the act of pandering implies deception. Marketing departments pander. Evangelists (religious evangelists, technology evangelists, etc) do not, even if both act completely the same.

It seems like you're assuming people who work on X then Y must choose between X and Y, or that they could not possibly enjoy working on both Rolling Eyes
lapoune

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
the funding goal seems very low..maybe they are partially funded already?

I hope they succeed it looks very good...funding period is quite long too so fingers crossed...
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
This looks like a beautiful film, and I do hope we're able to see it in English someday. Slowly but surely, it looks like some directors who don't want to make "Moeblob Soft Tennis Tea Time REJOICE II," "I Can't Believe My Onee-Chan Is A Bodacious Witch!" or "Burning Up Shonen Fighting Spirit Ignite!!" are flocking to KickStarter to bring back anime that doesn't pander to the mass market... and that makes me happy.

There's dozens of current anime that isn't anything like you described. What current series are you even talking about with those three random titles?
partially

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
I am somewhat surprised the campaign for this isn't at least somewhat international. I would say Katabuchi was the driving force behind crowdfunding it, as he was at least somewhat involved with the very successful Mai Mai Miracle campaign.

It is disappointing then that this has gone entirely domestic for its crowdfunding. I think it would have been an excellent opportunity for something to come on the international crowdfunding scene in the production stage that wasn't a 10-20 minute short.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
^ I really don't understand this kind of mutual-exclusivity mentality.

Why does it matter that people make other stuff you don't like? Do you think directors should only work on one thing? Very few directors, writers, animators, creators in the industry have that mentality.

Also, it's never "pandering" if people working on it have a genuine interest. A politician who panders to a group means he is appealing to that group soley for votes. Pandering implies he has no interest himself. It's from "Pandarus" who was a trojan in Greek myths, so the act of pandering implies deception. Marketing departments pander. Evangelists (religious evangelists, technology evangelists, etc) do not, even if both act completely the same.

It seems like you're assuming people who work on X then Y must choose between X and Y, or that they could not possibly enjoy working on both Rolling Eyes

Like all these words they don't really care what pandering means, he probably means any show that doesn't appeal to him, was made with bad intentions.

If you say a show is pandering, then without even having to come with any sort of real criticism you've already made the show sound bad.

Tthe fact that he calls it pandering to a mass market, implies anything that isn't made for whatever niche he is apart of, comes across as self entitlement to an extreme degree.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I am somewhat surprised the campaign for this isn't at least somewhat international. I would say Katabuchi was the driving force behind crowdfunding it, as he was at least somewhat involved with the very successful Mai Mai Miracle campaign.

It is disappointing then that this has gone entirely domestic for its crowdfunding. I think it would have been an excellent opportunity for something to come on the international crowdfunding scene in the production stage that wasn't a 10-20 minute short.

It could be difficult for him with the language, since he doesn't speak English. With Mai Mai Miracle, Anime Limited contacted him about it and did all the back and fourth between him and the backers.

Hopefully they, or some other company, will release it in the west, or at least do a crowdfunding.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:

I have asked them if it is also possible for non-Japanese people to support this project. They replied to me that they are currently discussing this topic and will write something about it in the future.

So there might be a possibility. Currently there isn't because you can only register on makuake if you live in Japan.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
I saw the director at Otakon this past year. He's a very genuine, truthful, man who is very serious about this project. It looks like it will be excellent. The manga author, Fumio Kono is also a very skilled storyteller, and her drawings are quite compelling.

Also, Apollo-kun: I would totally watch the heck out of "Moeblob Soft Tennis Tea Time REJOICE II," "I Can't Believe My Onee-Chan Is A Bodacious Witch!" and "Burning Up Shonen Fighting Spirit Ignite!!"

Apollo-kun wrote:
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Man seem Katabuchi is taking interest in some of these stories. I mean this is the guy that directed 'Mai Mai Miracle'. I hope that they will ad other options, this would make a great production. I did enjoy the book.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad this is only a Japanese funding campaign, the art looks nice and the story sounds interesting I would have happily thrown some money their way for this. Hopefully we'll get to see this on a wide scale at some point but seems where other countries are getting serious drama movies like these the U.S. isn't biting so much except to give them small theatrical and festival tours.

I really liked Giovanni's Island, for example and would love to see that get put out on DVD but so far there's only a UK release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's from "Pandarus" who was a trojan in Greek myths, so the act of pandering implies deception. Marketing departments pander. Evangelists (religious evangelists, technology evangelists, etc) do not, even if both act completely the same.

As a Greek myth who forgot this, thanks for bringing it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2