• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Chivalry of the Failed Knight Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanRootBeerDubber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I figured this would get an anime and I haven't read the source material itself. I hope to watch this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I swear these light novels are sounding more and more like middle school fanfics every time. Written by chuunibyou lol. 5 years ago I probably would be semi-interested in this but after seeing so many like it I'll probably watch 1 episode just to see if it has unique enough to characters to differentiate itself.
Saeglopur25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
- modern magic-users
- weapons converted from their souls
- protagonist has no magical skills
- main female character is the top student
- challenges the MC to a fight

This is like a checkbox list of the most generic fantasy LN setup imaginable.

It is interesting that almost all the LN covers have the lead female on them though. Usually with these kind of series you get a different girl each volume. Is this not a harem then?

Last edited by Saeglopur25 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Calculus20

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Oh look another generic trashy looking LN adaptation. As if we haven't had many of those before...
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Did all the LNs writers came together in a meeting to share their ideas of something? Because this show premise sounds just like every other shows that were adapted from LNs from the past few seasons.

Now I'll predict that this "failed knight" will somehow beat the girl and make her obey him forever? Anime hyper

PS. That MC looks intriguing like Onii-sama from the side O.O
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
I had never heard of this light novel, but unlike some posters whose motto is "judge a light novel by it's sinopsis" I searched and just started reading the scanlation and it has some strong The Irregular at Magic High School vibes, heck in this universe spoiler[Japan won ww2].

Depending on the adaption this might get quite interesting *continues reading the scanlation*
blessed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
Everybody doesn't seem too happy about this adaption and here I am just glad it's not solely a harem. Good enough for me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Meh, I knew this would get an anime adaptation someday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I searched and just started reading the scanlation and it has some strong The Irregular at Magic High School vibes

Hmm, I guess that's why I see the similarity in features between Tatsuya and the MC of this LN.

Quote:
Everybody doesn't seem too happy about this adaption and here I am just glad it's not solely a harem. Good enough for me.

Personally, I don't hate it, just that the synopsis as I said sounded just like: Blade Dance of the Elementalers, World Break, and Absolute Duo which were average shows at best........ But I guess we will have to wait and see, because these anime usually get like the weakest production teams (which I think is pretty sad since they actually have potentials to be good shows) and always turn out to be worse than what the show could be.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Oh look another generic trashy looking LN adaptation. As if we haven't had many of those before...

For information purposes this anime is not generic.

Saeglopur25 wrote:
Quote:
- modern magic-users
- weapons converted from their souls
- protagonist has no magical skills
- main female character is the top student
- challenges the MC to a fight

This is like a checkbox list of the most generic fantasy LN setup imaginable.

It is interesting that almost all the LN covers have the lead female on them though. Usually with these kind of series you get a different girl each volume. Is this not a harem then?

Even if the anime has all those setups it is not those that make the anime generic. It is what you do with them that does. An anime can have the most used genres and story setting as any other anime and still not be generic.

For people that are jumping the gun and are already calling the show trashy or generic you are wrong the manga and light novel do have similar genre and story to some others but that alone does not make it generic. After all it is not the genre that make something generic. It is what you do with the story and such that does. The manga and light novel were awesome and very entertaining to read, though rakudai does have similar genre for a few other manga or anime but the story themselves are different and they take different routes.

[Edit]: combined your three successive posts & fixed grammar. Errinundra.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
This... Does sound kinda generic. First thing that came to my mind was Absolute Duo. Which I'm enjoying, but then again I like 8-bit and Julie's hella cute. I don't know about this though... At least the art is nice. If the studio or director catches my interest I may check it out.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:54 am Reply with quote
I have heard this exact synopsis way too many times to start thinking positively. It might be somewhat different as some of you say but it certainly doesn't sound different at all. Oh well I guess I wait until I hear thoughts of the first episodes then decide if I will watch it. But for now this doesn't look exciting at all.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Oh look, another...Yup. Im watching this.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Did all the LNs writers came together in a meeting to share their ideas of something? Because this show premise sounds just like every other shows that were adapted from LNs from the past few seasons.

They're mainly fans copying popular light novels that came just a few years before. These aren't seasoned writers but young guys who're getting published for the first time.

It's the equivalent of a bunch of us on this forum submitting stuff to publishers and actually getting signed because companies eager to throw any mud at the wall to see what sticks.
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
as someone who has actually read some of the source material spoiler[Lorelei loses to Raikiri]

I can say that it's mostly [s]garbage[/s] cancer. It's riddled with character stacking, forced romance, and bullshit powers.

I initially got hooked reading the manga adaptation where spoiler[Ikki (MC) rekts Stella ("weak" (magically) beating strong hype)] and the MC deals with hardships (past and present) being a guy with low magic (which spoiler[gets resolved pretty shallowly and "cheesily"]). That's volume 1, and it goes downhill from there (as of reading spoiler[volume 3 chapter 1]

It's probably gonna be 1-cour, cut out some LN context and be fast paced to fit the time slot. It's probably going to adapt 3-4 volumes.

Treat as "PROMOTION".

I am no way surprised or excited (rather depressed) about this shit getting an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4