• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hide and Seek GN 1 - 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are no life-threatening events in Hide and Seek, no desperate situations. It is simply the story of two men falling into a relationship and eventually love...

This is one of my favorite titles for just that reason. It's refreshing to see two grown men act like adults and become a couple without a ton of angst, trauma, or "gimmicks". The fact that the lovey-dovey scenes are steamy doesn't hurt either. Wink

Thanks for the review!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
This was a really fun read. Sensei is a hoot (even if he does creepily remind me of Stephen King Confused). I'd really love to see this made into an anime, but since it's finished, I supposed there's no incentive there. Too bad, the facial expressions animated would be priceless.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oh I liked this series.

Good review.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much for this review, Rebecca! I'd been looking for a good BL manga, but I'm pretty picky, so I'd kind of given up on finding something just right for me. But your review convinced me that this series would fit the bill nicely, so I went right out and bought it. It just came in the mail today, and I read the whole thing in one sitting. LOVED it. Smile

Quote:
The scenes are all consensual, a major bonus for some readers,

Oooh! Me, me, me!! *waves hand excitedly like a little 3rd grade teacher's pet* Adults having consensual sex is one of those things I'm "picky" about. No judgements for anyone who doesn't agree, it's just my preference.

Quote:
Making homosexuality a non-issue was definitely part of the appeal of the series for me, largely because it simply allowed Sakuragi to get on with telling the story.

This was a big draw, too.

Quote:
There are no life-threatening events in Hide and Seek, no desperate situations. It is simply the story of two men falling into a relationship and eventually love, with one learning to be a bit less clingy and the other that he is capable of lasting love.

So refreshing...

Quote:
It isn't the hottest or sweetest, but it is enjoyable, and even if you haven't read the volume it is spun off from, it's a nice way to spend some time.

And this is what really convinced me. I don't like coming into the middle of a series or spin off and feeling off kilter because I don't know something intrinsic to the story because I haven't read everything the author has ever written before (and I tried once to read everything in the CLAMP-verse so none of their crossover stuff confused me and that was a MESS) so knowing that I can just read this on it's own made me confident that I would like it.

Your review was everything I needed to know, thanks!!
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Seconding what wyntre_rose said, except I haven't bought the series yet! Your BL reviews are super helpful, and I hope you will continue writing them Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you found the review helpful! Very Happy I don't get as many review copies for BL as other genres, but I try and seek books out if it's been too long since I last reviewed a series.

I've really been lucking out in my random choices lately - this and False Memories are easily two of my favorites! (Though my all-time BL favorite is still Only Serious About You.)
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
(Though my all-time BL favorite is still Only Serious About You.)

That's one of my favourites too! It was so cute. Smile I would die if it ever got an anime.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
(Though my all-time BL favorite is still Only Serious About You.)

That's one of my favourites too! It was so cute. Smile I would die if it ever got an anime.

An OVA of that series would make me very happy. It was actually thanks to the reviews on here that I picked it up and it's still one of my all time favourite BL series. I'm looking forward to the 3rd volume of this; I just wish I'd got Tea for Two and Hey Sensei whilst I'd had the chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1