• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dōkyūsei Boys-Love Manga Gets Anime Starring Kenji Nojima, Hiroshi Kamiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
So excited for this!!! Need to relisten to the drama CD tonight!

Heard about the news earlier today. Was not expecting the PV to be aired directly after Durarara!!. That was a very nice surprise.

This'll be interesting. Not only is it a bl story (though really it's a coming of age story where I don't think people will be too put off), but it's also animated by A-1 Pictures. From what we see in the PV, it looks like they got the atmosphere of the series down well, and they did a good job of translating Nakamura sensei's unique designs into animation.

Wonder if this'll be airing in summer. Hope it does well and they can animate Sotsugyousei and O.B. too.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
Oh boy. Even A-1 Pictures is doing a yaoi anime....
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Wonder if this'll be airing in summer. Hope it does well and they can animate Sotsugyousei and O.B. too.

If it's a one volume series, odds are it'll be a theatrical film.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
So darn excited! I actually would want that they adapt the sequels too and make it a 10-12 episode anime. Though that probably won't happen. But the CM looked really good!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
If it's a one volume series, odds are it'll be a theatrical film.

That hadn't crossed my mind. Usually when something is made into a movie though they'll say that it's a movie. In this case they write animation-ka. Maybe it's just me but when I hear that, I think of a TV series. You're right that lengthwise a movie (or maybe OVA) would make sense though.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:

Is no place safe from the gays? Why must they remind us they exist by showing up in works from mainstream studios? Oh, the humanity!
himeko7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
MischievousMelody wrote:

Is no place safe from the gays? Why must they remind us they exist by showing up in works from mainstream studios? Oh, the humanity!

At least it's better than those crappy, annoying ecchi. Mad

Besides, if there are people who don't like yaoi, then don't watch it. I find it really annoying (and a bit amusing) seeing comments that don't like yaoi in a yaoi. (can't people nowadays read? Laughing )
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Dokyusei?

zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
himeko7 wrote:

At least it's better than those crappy, annoying ecchi. Mad

Besides, if there are people who don't like yaoi, then don't watch it. I find it really annoying (and a bit amusing) seeing comments that don't like yaoi in a yaoi. (can't people nowadays read? Laughing )

I think you missed the sarcasm of my comment. Razz I'm gay, dude.

{Please avoid excessive quoting. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
First Love Stage, now this...Is the reign of Nakamura Shungiku finally over? Laughing

But seriously, going from the PV this looks really nice. I'll definitely be watching. And it's always nice to see another woman ascend to the director's chair - it still feels like it happens too rarely.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not really a fan of her art, it is nice to see more BL get recognition and be animated. I will definitely be watching this, especially with those two acting in it.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
More Yaoi, yuri and A-1 anime by the week. How....dull.....well except for the people that are into that sort of thing I guess. I suppose they'll be using the usual strategy of Hiroshi Kamiya plus event ticket in order to get fujoshi to pay attention and buy the Blu-Rays. It's little surprise that this would be announced after Durarara considering that's also a heavily fujoshi oriented title. My only other observation is that I think it would be nice to see more female directors given the chance to direct something that isn't a fujoshi oriented title (beside someone like a Sayo Yamamoto I mean who has risen to a level of respect and notoriety that few women in the industry will ever be afforded) cause it seems like how that always ends up. Female gaze for fujoshi stuff, and male gaze for otaku stuff is basically what this industry is all about 95% of the time these days. In any case looks like another purely commercial adaptation decision as always from A-1. I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever see anything like a Shin Sekai Yori or Space Brothers out of them ever again cause to this day those remains by far and away the best anime they've ever produced IMO.

So anyway when's Miss Hokusai coming out again? That's like one of the few recent titles to have some news that looks particularly interesting and not like it appeals to one gender exclusively over the other as has felt like the case of late with a lot of announcements. Occasionally you have something like Love Love that appeals to both genders but it's not like that's not a commercially oriented enterprise.

rahzel rose wrote:
While I'm not really a fan of her art, it is nice to see more BL get recognition and be animated. I will definitely be watching this, especially with those two acting in it.

Why? I mean specifically why is it nice to see more BL stuff get recognition? I mean too me it doesn't seem all that uncommon anymore, especially lately or at least that's how it feels. There's a lot of weird same sex oriented stuff coming out of late as producers start to realize it's potential and how easy it is to make a quick buck off of such titles at least where the BL stuff is concerned and to me it just looks like the tip of the iceberg more than anything.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
himeko7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

I think you missed the sarcasm of my comment. Razz I'm gay, dude.

Whoops, sorry. I sometimes can't tell when a comment is being sarcastic (though, I should have known). Sorry for the misunderstanding! >.<

{Please avoid excessive quoting. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge fan of this manga or the author but A1 is great at slice of life and having a non-Shungiku work is a blast.

What worries me is the length of this manga. At the most, it can fill an hour and a half. But with the sequel, it can be a two cour, I think.

But, I'm looking forward.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why? I mean specifically why is it nice to see more BL stuff get recognition? I mean too me it doesn't seem all that uncommon anymore, especially lately or at least that's how it feels. There's a lot of weird same sex oriented stuff coming out of late as producers start to realize it's potential and how easy it is to make a quick buck off of such titles at least where the BL stuff is concerned and to me it just looks like the tip of the iceberg more than anything.

I don't understand where you get this idea from. I remember only two yuri/BL titles that came out last year: Sakura Trick and Love Stage. Both of which did not sell well, and Love Stage, a BL title, sold worse out of the two.

Implied
yuri/BL and intimate same-sex friendships are where there's money to be made. Pure yuri and BL should be considered financial risks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3