• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto Wins 'Rookie of the Year' Award for Naruto

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Rookie? Naruto ran for 15 years!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, 15 years of Naruto, a multi-billion yen franchise, and Kishimoto is still a rookie. Japan is harsh.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Rookie? Naruto ran for 15 years!

You're not alone, I shared that same thought. I'm not sure if the term "rookie" has a different meaning in Japanese. But congrats I guess. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Waraich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Japan being dumb as usual D: Whos next? George Morikawa? He really deserves a rookie of the year award.. I mean hajime no ippo only has 1100 chapters
Vennex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the requirements are to qualify for such award, considering 15 years of work and he wins a "rookie" award. Congrats anyways though
Calculus20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I believe he qualifies as a "Rookie" because Naruto was his first serialized manga and he turned it into a global phenomenon.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Kishimoto began serializing Naruto in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in 1999, and ended the series in November. The ninja manga is Kishimoto's first completed series.

That line makes me think that the Agency for Cultural Affairs definition of "rookie" is someone how started is first serialized work, and they are eligible to receive the award once their first serialized work has concluded (finished serialization).

If that's true, then Oda Eiichirō, One Piece's author, could possibly win that award as well upon completing his series, since One Piece is his first serialized work.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
How he ended the manga was very amateur-ish, so I suppose this makes sense.
Vennex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
Kishimoto began serializing Naruto in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in 1999, and ended the series in November. The ninja manga is Kishimoto's first completed series.

That line makes me think that the Agency for Cultural Affairs definition of "rookie" is someone how started is first serialized work, and they are eligible to receive the award once their first serialized work has concluded (finished serialization).

If that's true, then Oda Eiichirō, One Piece's author, could possibly win that award as well upon completing his series, since One Piece is his first serialized work.

That seems most likely to be the answer, still seems strange to attach the word rookie anywhere near his name. And we'll see about one piece IF it ever ends
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I hear Osamu Tezuka is being considered for an "up and comer" award. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Next let's see if having his first series be a huge success ruined him.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
people, he is qualified as a "rookie" because naruto was his first project. in my opinion, despite how the manga turned out, this award is well deserved. what an incredible and influential work for its time, from a newcomer nonetheless. i don't think i had ever been so wrapped up and obsessed over an anime/manga (sans miyazaki's works) until naruto came along... at least the first half of the series anyway. i have not taken a look at naruto in about 7 years and have no plans on returning, but man was the first half great Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
people, he is qualified as a "rookie" because naruto was his first project

But that's nonsensical reasoning to call a person a rookie. Plenty of people have five or six different manga series out and they could be just a few chapters long, and how does that make them any more experienced than Kishimoto? Does that mean I could write twelve five chapter manga stories and I'm less of a rookie than Kishimoto?

I don't care if Naruto is his first big work, Kishimoto made that manga for over a decade. He's not a rookie.

Granted, Naruto is pretty bad, but if you're going to give him an award for his body of work, it shouldn't be because he's a good "rookie".
danny.dement.5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Apparently this award is handed out based on level of skill.

In which case others still got screwed over for it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Very strange for Masashi Kishimoto to be awarded "Rookie of the Year" despite Naruto running for over a decade and a half. Confused Perhaps the Japanese award ceremonies have their own unique way of handling their awards?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3