• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Haruhi Suzumiya Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Figured I'd start the inevitable thread about the Haruhi series by Nagaru Tanigawa.

What do you think of the series, in general? I find them light, enjoyable reads (which they're after all, meant to be), even though they get a bogged down in the time travelling aspect in several stories. I'd rather see more of the Closed Space or Data Entity at work.

I just finished "Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!" from The Indignation of Haruhi Suzumiya. which has some elements of Itsuki's work with the Agency, plus a new "villian" for Haruhi to fight against. I found Mikuru's story (edited by Haruhi) to be the most interesting. I also like that Haruhi managed to rope in so many people to assist them in their publication.

I only wish that somebody would license and translate the novels for purchase so I could hold them and have them to put on my book shelf.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I only wish that somebody would license and translate the novels for purchase so I could hold them and have them to put on my book shelf.

These I would definetly buy if they were translated, but for now the only I guess is to make the best of it and try to read it in Japanese. I've tried reading Japanese novels, particularly for Japanese homework back in the day when I was in school. You get it to a point, but whether it actually clicks with you to continue reading it depends on your level of Japanese, from my standpoint.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

These I would definetly buy if they were translated, but for now the only I guess is to make the best of it and try to read it in Japanese. I've tried reading Japanese novels, particularly for Japanese homework back in the day when I was in school. You get it to a point, but whether it actually clicks with you to continue reading it depends on your level of Japanese, from my standpoint.

Are there anything translated in other languages. I could translate an easier language with research. If its in french i could understand just a bit but enough to know whats going on.

If england translates it then we could get that since its still english.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Indeed. I would not hesitate on this one. I need this piece of scripture!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
The novels are one of those must-own collections which I would keep in a much nicer place than my shelf. I want to see how the anime relates to its novel counterpart. And the cover illustrations themselves are worth it.

Oh, and, we need the manga, too. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I would most defintely get these if it came out!
But I have this feeling they will, and soon. Didn't the Haruhi R1 DVDs sell, like, over 1,000,000 units? Not bringing over more Haruhi would be a stupid move on the American anime industy's part!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Sell over a million units? They won't get anywhere close to the same league as that. While we know that Haruhi is very popular among otaku in Japan and among hardcore fans in the U.S., I don't think anyone has said anything to indicate how well the Haruhi DVDs are selling in the U.S.
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Sell over a million units? They won't get anywhere close to the same league as that. While we know that Haruhi is very popular among otaku in Japan and among hardcore fans in the U.S., I don't think anyone has said anything to indicate how well the Haruhi DVDs are selling in the U.S.

Hm...maybe it was 10,000 to 100,000? I was thinking about how all the LEs sold out, and then lots of people bought the standards...I could have sworn I heard it was selling as well as mainstream video, but maybe I'm wrong.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you heard that it sold that well, but they are almost certainly wrong. The companies will never disclose the actual figures and they almost never even give a remote estimation, so we'll never really know how well they actually sold. But there are only 20,000 LEs and a brief look at a few e-tailers indicate that it hasn't sold out yet (TRSI still has about 250 copies). So it hasn't sold out. How well its actually doing is anyone's guess.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't even think of an anime that would sell a million units in the U.S., even the stuff on tv.

Even in Japan only about 70,000 and 90,000 units sold of the first two dvds, and that's a lot, but I don't think we would sell more of a series here then over in Japan. [source] There are just more anime fans in Japan.

I do think someone will license the books here in the U.S. With all the light novels getting licensed recently Haruhi is a title that would be hard to pass up because it does have some serious hardcore fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I'm not sure where you heard that it sold that well, but they are almost certainly wrong. The companies will never disclose the actual figures and they almost never even give a remote estimation, so we'll never really know how well they actually sold. But there are only 20,000 LEs and a brief look at a few e-tailers indicate that it hasn't sold out yet (TRSI still has about 250 copies). So it hasn't sold out. How well its actually doing is anyone's guess.

I feel so stupid! Laughing LOL. I could've sworn I heard it on the immense Haruhi thread, but I probably misunderstood.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone ordered the novels in Japanese? If so, where?

Mr Prinny wrote:

Yes. A translated version would be nice too.
logal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
A translation would be very nice. I unfortunately cannot read Japanese, so even if I was able to get my hands on them, they really wouldn't do me much good.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed the Haruhi novels so far...well, it's a step up from manga and a step below hardcore Japanese literature or full novels. If you have the patience to sit down and plough through a few pages a day with a kanji dictionary, it gets much easier, so I really recommend any Japanese learner who has enjoyed the anime to give these a try in Japanese.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
logal wrote:
A translation would be very nice. I unfortunately cannot read Japanese, so even if I was able to get my hands on them, they really wouldn't do me much good.

Fan translations are out there, you just need to look for them a little. I'm sure the novels will be licensed before too much longer. A legit English version should be available at some point in the next year or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8