• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-07-13]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Good rant. I've seen a lady on Imdb ranting about how the new Horton Hears a Who is against abortion. And she keeps going on an on about it, referencing bible quotes and everything. Barely bother reads anyone else's replies, just keeps ranting away about good and evil and light and darkness and how horrible abortion is.

Course, I'm really no saint. I've been feeding the fire with dumb questions every once and awhile. But all in good fun. She still won't tell me what the number 2 in her username stands for.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Fansubs, I for one can honestly say that I have fansub versions of both Shakugan no Shana and Fate/Stay Night BUT I have bought every DVD for both series thus far cause I've been very Impressed with the way both series have turned out. Likewise with Monster(if it is ever licensed) I will buy every DVD for that Masterpiece.

In regards to Berserk question, all I have to say is read the manga which is pretty much uncensored and has much much better art than the berserk anime series had. The only reason why the berserk anime was made was so that it could simply advertise the manga. Not too mention the events that took place at the end of the anime makes a lot more sense if you decide to read the manga. Also, the series has just passed the half way point and is possibly expected to end with somewhere between 53 to 64 Volumes. 31 Volumes have been put into print thus far(in Japan) with Volume 32 hopefully being compiled before the year ends.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
*cries a river of tears* I click on ann.com for my weekly answerman and to my dismay and object horror there isnt a new banner. Something in my heart broke.

Personally, I enjoyed all of the One Piece movies i've seen so far. Sanji almost always kicks ass and looks good doing it. *cough*. But with the Naruto movies it seems like spoiler[he's always making a new friend and helping said friend.
Rock Lee threw down in the second movie though, so I was a happy camper.]

Oh God the fansub research paper. For me I use fansubs as a preview to the show. or in the case of Ouran it seems like its the only way i'm ever going to see it. I wonder if japanese dvd makers were to put english subs on them would they see a real increase in sales. I know i'd pick up everything I missed even though it'd be a hefty price tag.

I'm not into Beserk but it seems like another director would have just picked the show up. They could have finished it. I'm going to guess (and feel free to correct me) that it wasn't that big of a show in Japan.

MoHS....after watching the frist dvd and reading reviews on the second- yeah they should have stuck to broadcast order. I'm glad to dig into the plot- but if its going to end after the next disc- I'm wondering how the other discs will be. This was a big show...i wouldn't be surprised if it gets 7300 different versions like Eva. *cough*

Is that a polar bear and a hippo?!

Ranter...
I hate to say it but not everyone will be open to their kids hearing about periods. i can see several soccer moms cluthing their sons or daughter to their breasts screaming at Disney because their angels are too precious to hear or see a body function for females.

Parents...in my community at least seem to be getting younger and younger. They're still kids themselves trying to rasie childern. Others who are old enough to raise a kid don't know how to take responsiblity for their actions.

If you leave a kid in front of a tv and expect it to babysit your kid- well you'd think said parent wouldn't get mad at the tv company if their 8 yea rold turns on a R rated show. Doesn't work that way. A lot of times, the parents blame the station for being ON the tv.

its ludacrious. it's maddness. It's stupidty.
It's dumb parents and the companies who try to avoid them.

nice column as always Zac. keep up the good work.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
You know Answerman's running out of questions when he has to answer the Berserk question.
rayechu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I honestly shouldn't complain about the editing to the new TLU dvd. But that one line says everything about Molly and I am upset it had to be changed. I watched that movie when I was three and obviously survived, I don't see why children today couldn't do the same.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I'm not into Beserk but it seems like another director would have just picked the show up. They could have finished it.

Citation please.

frentymon wrote:
You know Answerman's running out of questions when he has to answer the Berserk question.

Fansub, Berserk, and Haruhi episode orders took three out of four questions. Rolling Eyes I'd say he's still busy with AX aftermaths, and Otakon in not far from now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Fansub, Berserk, and Haruhi episode orders took three out of four questions. Rolling Eyes I'd say he's still busy with AX aftermaths, and Otakon in not far from now.

The column was almost on hiatus this week but I figured I'd crank one out anyway. Couldn't hurt, right?

"AX aftermath" is an understatement. Next weekend is Otakon, weekend after that is SDCC. I'll try and have columns up on both of those weekends.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
You might wanna get some together now if you got a chance and simply throw them on the site when it comes time. Save yourself some trouble later heh. I'll be sure to read this week's article once it bloody shows up on my menu. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
Zac, you liked the Escaflowne movie? I can see people who'd never seen the series liking it, but I thought that was one awful mess of a movie. The character redesigns I can handle, the slight character shuffle and cuts aren't all that terrible, but the crunch, oh the crunch of the plotline and the endless useless characters, not to mention a poor explanation of nearly everything and an anti-climactic final showdown mars that movie.

I liked both the Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist movie, despite their superflous nature, I found that they were both very enjoyable. The Cowboy Bebop movie captures what was great about the series and turns it into sort of a long episode, but coreographed as a movie. The FMA movie, while not as good, tied up some of the lose ends of the series (though it didn't need to).

Anyway, get as much rest as you can for all that work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
escahime65

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
I thought it was very nice of Zac to answer those questions about fansubs even though he was probably rolling his eyes the whole time.

I do have to agree that anime movies are generally more boring than most filler episodes but Fullmetal Alchemist: Con. of Shamballa was awesome!

Also, it is just me or has the quality of the rants been going downhill ever since it was started? Are people just not submitting them anymore?
blind_assassin

dormcat wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I'm not into Beserk but it seems like another director would have just picked the show up. They could have finished it.

Citation please.

I don't think a citation is possible when it's just logic. It stands to reason that if one director isn't working out then taking your business to another would solve the problem. There really isn't much of a reason for the show to remain unfinished considering there is a massive amount of material to use.
britannicamoore

dormcat wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Citation please.

This is my fault, I went off of what the person stated about what he heard. Even now after searching I still can't find anything to tell me why they stopped making the show.

I could change my orginal post if need be.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to hear about Only Yesterday not being released in the US, as it's been available here in the UK for quite some time. Although by that point I had already purchased it directly from Japan, where Ghibli releases include English subtitles.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
rayechu wrote:
I honestly shouldn't complain about the editing to the new TLU dvd. But that one line says everything about Molly and I am upset it had to be changed. I watched that movie when I was three and obviously survived, I don't see why children today couldn't do the same.

Aww man, it's edited? I haven't watched mine yet, so I had no idea. Wonder if I should't have sold off the older DVD release. Grumble.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
Fansubs: I never use fan subs except in the case of One Piece but with the Funi dub I think I'm going to stop. Whenever I want to see a series I always buy the dvd or watch it on tv because I just can't do something illegal to save money. I don't go for the whole thing about people buying the DVD's after they watch the fansubs. I mean Naruto and Bleach are very popular and I never see the dvd's sold out out. The only anime I have ever seen sold out that was fansubbed a lot was Advent Children. I still don't understand why people watch fan subs when a series is licensed because its not going to kill you to wait each week for a new episode or 2-3 months for a new DVD unless I'm missing something.

Rant: I agree with the ranter that people tend to be over protective of kids but all parents want whats best for thier child. Parents are usually more protective of their first child then their next since by then they know what they are doing but it is still parent nature. Me and my sister are only 4 years apart but I notice my parents tend to let her do more things then they let me do. I do think tv stations should no be fully responsible for what kids see because its the parents job but there are something the tv stations should be responsible for. A few weeks ago I was watching Not Another Teen Movie on Comedy Centrals secret stash and the only thing cencored was the nudity which ruined the whole forigen exchange student joke. Now I think they should have kept it in because this was at 1 am and little kids should be alseep and if not thats the parents fault so in that case the tv station should be at fault. Now if that was aired at 6pm then I can understand parents getting mad since kids are still up, atleast thats how I see it. So for what disney did I find it rather stupid but thats life. if anything what they should have done is take it out of the english version only since no 8 year old is going to watch it in japanese anyway. Also I remember a few years ago Adult Swim posted a letter during one of their bumps of a letter from an 8 year old saying "I used to love watching Cartoon Network late at night but now I hate it because of all the bad stuff on Adult Swim, please take it off I hate it" - Tyler age 8 and Adult Swim responded by "Dear Tyler you write well for your age, dear Tylers parents, why are you letting your 8 year old stay up this late?" Kind of speaks for its self.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7