• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Hakusensha isn't off limits, but it's more than 10 volumes Sad I've still not filled it out as I have literally no idea what to suggest.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
I voted for:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi (The Town Only I'm Not With): Really engaging supernatural mystery/thriller. spoiler[Time travel. Sad girls in snow. Serial killings?] TsunaReborn!, this is by the same author as Cradle of Monsters (Kei Sanbe). Since then, the author appears to have either improved either their luck or their writing skills when comparing the two works. The characters are multifaceted, by which I mean there's multiple aspects to their personalities as perceived. One of 14 nominees for the 8th Manga Taisho award, if that means anything (Koe no Katachi, Nozaki-kun, and The Ancient Magus' Bride are also in the running).

Mikake no Nijuusei: One-volume quirky comedy about a high school girl copied by mad science. The artwork and detached tone reminds me of SoreMachi/And Yet The Town Moves. Ostensibly josei. The author's possibly more better known for The Wandering of Girls' Group No. 7

Shishunki Bitter Change: A long-term gender bender, at the outset of the story, the lead duo have been swapped for the past three years. The character dynamics seem to be handled pretty well.

I really want to enter Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko (Blood Diver Ringo and the Fishbowl Man), which is very pleasantly surreal (there's a fantastic page with the lead helping his 100% non-anthropomorphic goldfish sister with physical therapy, it's basically just a fish on a table), but it changed publications recently so getting the whole thing would've eaten up two of my entries :\
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Damn it! I could swear Square Enix was okay during the last poll!

They were. I suggested Nozaki-kun during the last poll. I'd be surprised if it didn't get a look through, but with the Square Enix limitation now in place, I see Yen putting it out (unless Viz still has access to them).

st_owly wrote:
Hakusensha isn't off limits, but it's more than 10 volumes Sad I've still not filled it out as I have literally no idea what to suggest.

I had difficulty as well. Putting together a list is hard for me as I'm purely going whether a description interests me.

I went with Rin by Harold Sakuishi, Tokyo Tarareba-Jou by Akiko Higashimura and Orange by Ichigo Takano. Rin's the only hold out from last year's suggestion list.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for participating!

This round was a little frustrating. About 45% of users during the first week never made it to the second page even though they answered the first question...

So that ended up cutting down the overall numbers. But once I reorganized the survey onto one sheet, things immediately picked up. And we got around a 98% completion rate for the second week.

I have tallied up all the results. And we have a few new titles but some old vets. We're reviewing the new books. And are already working on projections for some repeats. Anywhere from 1 to 5 books will be selected for the Spring 2016 span. So the chances are better than most. (That said I think slots will be minimal for Summer 2016...maybe 1 slot; maybe 0, depending on how long our final selections for spring are).

I'm not sure if you all heard but we did pick a title from past surveys for our latest acquisition. A Girl on the Shore by Inio Asano has rated high for four of our last four surveys. It was in the top 15 of this current survey (at #12). I was a little surprised by that since it's an indie manga, but it looks like Asano's star is rising in the west; which is a good thing since we have been on the hunt for this title since 2014.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
When are the new titles going to be announced? I'll definitely be picking up the Asano one.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
When are the new titles going to be announced? I'll definitely be picking up the Asano one.

I'd say this summer at the earliest. The licensing process is not a fast one. Expect a minimum of 2 months and an average of 4 to get these done.

We possibly will have the whole spring list done by August (or at least we have to cause that's when I have sales meetings with BN and Amazon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24