• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doudizhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say there are many great manga out there in this world. I have read many and i have to say i absolutely enjoyed reading Bleach, Ghost in Shell, Death Note was fantastic... Although, they all have an anime made after them. There are many that i love which don't have anime such as wolf guy ookami no monshou haha Laughing
Animefiend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
Okay, I love all types of Anime and Manga including Fanservice. I've searched the forums and could only find a thread 11 years old.
I was wondering if anyone new of some newer Manga with Fanservice in the vein of Ken Akamatsu's work but with detail, not the indistinct fanservice he draws, although I still love his work, especially Negima which is a favorite of mine.

I'm not looking/interested in full on Hentai

I'm not looking/interested in gore/horror like Gantz, although I really enjoyed High School of the Dead, go figure, but I'm also a huge Zombie fan.

Something fun and in the middle within the last 2 years would be great (Because I've read most of the older stuff already), good story like Gunslinger Girl, nudity/fanservice like Ikki Tousen aka Battle Girls.
Another great example of what I'm looking for is Dance in the Vampire Bund, cool story with uncensored fanservice/nudity.

Any Help or a link to a proper thread would be great from fellow Fanservice fans.

Thanks
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
@Animefiend

The only possibility that I have read recently is Omamori Himari about a girl who is a cat demon and defends a boy, who is a demon killer, from other demons.
I have read the first seven volumes and definitely will finish it. If I recall correctly the nudity is not really detailed in the first volume, but it does become detailed. There is a lot of fighting but it is not bloody or gory.

From what I have read about it I think that Monster Musume might work for you, but I have not tried it myself yet.

Two older series that I will recommend to anybody who has not tried them are Ai Yori Aoshi and Mahoromatic.

If you have seen only the anime for Ai Yori Aoshi you will be surprised by the detailed nudity in the manga.
The Mahoromatic anime left in some of the detailed nudity, but the manga has more of it.

There is a bit of detailed nudity near the beginning of The Sacred Blacksmith but I have not read beyond the first volume yet. I have the first five but have not gotten around to reading them yet.

The indistinct, blurry, foggy, near-nudity seems to be standard now. I see a lot of it in Fairy Tail.
Even the Kanokon manga does not have the detail that is in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefiend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@Animefiend

The only possibility that I have read recently is Omamori Himari about a girl who is a cat demon and defends a boy, who is a demon killer, from other demons.
I have read the first seven volumes and definitely will finish it. If I recall correctly the nudity is not really detailed in the first volume, but it does become detailed. There is a lot of fighting but it is not bloody or gory.

From what I have read about it I think that Monster Musume might work for you, but I have not tried it myself yet.

Two older series that I will recommend to anybody who has not tried them are Ai Yori Aoshi and Mahoromatic.k

If you have seen only the anime for Ai Yori Aoshi you will be surprised by the detailed nudity in the manga.
The Mahoromatic anime left in some of the detailed nudity, but the manga has more of it.

There is a bit of detailed nudity near the beginning of The Sacred Blacksmith but I have not read beyond the first volume yet. I have the first five but have not gotten around to reading them yet.

The indistinct, blurry, foggy, near-nudity seems to be standard now. I see a lot of it in Fairy Tail.
Even the Kanokon manga does not have the detail that is in the anime.

Thanks, I have the first Volume of Sacred Blacksmith, still have yet to read it, picked the first 5 Volumes of Dragonar Academy which looks Promising. I'll have to look for your first suggestion as I have not seen it at my local book stores.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I know this will sound like an obscure request, but does anyone know any manga where a major character has the mentality of a friendly, little kid, but needs comfort?

For example: let's use Lime from the Saber Marionette J anime. As bubbly, naive and lovable as one can get, but yet she deals with some mature fears as the series progresses and it makes one feel for her not being able to cope yet.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Anybody knows manga like Vinland Saga. I mean, similar in terms of brutality, great art and also characterized by great character development?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read Vinland Saga yet but Vagabond hits the criteria! Some of the most stunning are I have seen from a manga mixed with fantastic yet brutal fight scenes, plus some of the best character development I've seen, up there with Berserk!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I am beginning to read that one. However, one thing that I didn't like that much of Vagabond was the art. It's realistic art style didn't strike me as particularly interesting.

One thing about most modern manga is the utilization of an art style where you feel the "pleasure of the line" (as some manga critic defined it), characterized by strong, well defined, straight lines arranged in an angular fashion against one another. Nearly all otaku styled art is of that form. Vinland Saga looks like that, Vagabond's looks are more organic and hence not like that. Though I am still enjoying it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
^I'd also recommend Berserk as well, if you haven't read already it. And although you didn't like the art style of Vagabond, you might try Blade of the Immortal. It has a similar setting to Vagabond but you might like the art style more, otherwise Blade of the Immortal is also a pretty dark story with interesting characters and lots of bloody fight scenes.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I read the first 45 chapters of Vagabond. While the art style of Vagabond is not my particular preference I appreciate it and I am loving it so far. Really great characters. I shouldn't have minor quirks with the art if I the rest is amazing and Vagabond is amazing indeed.

I have read Berserk but I already watched both the TV and movies adaptations of it so I don't feel like going through the same story for the third time already. Very Happy Though I plan to read it in the future. Blade of the Immortal also looks interesting.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
^Aww, no no, you should read Berserk. The movies only really do the first major arc, and my understanding, so does the TV series. That goes about 13 volumes in and there's like 37 volumes out so.... yeah, lots that you're missing.

I'm going to say for recommendations though:
Wolfsmund-ok, so this might not quite get it on the "strong characterization" part, but that's mostly because characters die like they thought they were in Game of Thrones. But brutality and great art? Yep. In fact, I believe the mangaka was assistant to Kentaro Miura.

Ikigami is one of the most depressing manga I've ever read, it's why I actually haven't finished it. Each volume has two stories about someone receiving an Ikigami and then, of course, dying by the end of their story (hardly a spoiler as it's kind of the plot). But the main dude who delivers the Ikigami (or death notice) does start to get some characterization as it goes on.

Shin Angyo Onshi is something that someone needs to license. It's been popular with fan scans for years, and 17 volumes isn't insurmountable. I mean, sure, it's by two Koreans, but I'm pretty sure it reads like a normal manga and ran in a manga magazine. But it's been so long since I've read it (and I wasn't able to finish it) so just going based on guessing here, but you should probably check this one out.

Ajin: Demi-human is ongoing and quickly becoming a series I'm always looking forward to new volumes (I really hope Vertical has v6 early at Otakon for me!) The more I read, the more I like it. And since characters are immortal, that kind of invite brutality. And our main is developing too.

And I'm hoping you read Parasyte, which is older, but got that recent anime. I think the manga is more brutal though. Also, while not terribly brutal, his other series, Historie is really good too (and comes out like molasses)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
hello 1st of all i'm a guy and i'm pretty new about manga/anime

i'm looking for a some serious mature, slice of life or/and romance manga. by mature i mean realistic in the way they react on their situation.
so a sci-fy story, little bit comedy and echii is not a problem. harem is fine too as long it's not too comedic and childish (haven't found one though lol)

so far i've been reading and liked :
5 cm per second
horimiya
usagi drop
sakuranbo syndrome
oyasumi punpun
Koe no Katachi
Sukitte Ii na yo

and please dont recommend toradora, nisekoi or clannad they're not the kind that i wanted lol.
Bianca-Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy mangas with a main female heroin, I've read a few but akatsuki no yona is definitely one of my favorites now Surprised
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
^Since you liked oyasumi punpun, have you tried any other of Inio Asano's other stuff like What a Wonderful World and Solanin? I personally like slice of manga with characters in their 20's-30's or in a college setting. The original Genshiken (vols 1-9) is pretty good. The writing and dialogue is really natural-sounding and it's got a good mix of humor and romance with some light drama. It's also one of the few manga about college students and in a college setting.

I would also say Welcome to the NHK, but the humor is very dark, and the romance is kinda twisted, so I don't know if it'd be your style. Other than that, I recently read Ohikkoshi by Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal artist). It's a collection of short stories, but the main short story is about these college students in a band hanging out with each other. There's some light romance and humor.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Hi there! How do you feel about BL series i.e Awkward Silence or a non BL yet mature series like Wandering Son?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 33