• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Game, No Life Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Satisfied that No Game, No Life is finally getting dubbed. Here's hoping it will be a fun ride when I watch it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Cool cant wait to rewatch this again
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonCoder wrote:
What ever happened to Beyond the Boundary?
Probably fell into the same black hole where Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb wound up.

Dranio wrote:
LokiReed wrote:
I'm really happy that sentai is doing limited edition stuff now and that 'No Game No Life' is getting dubbed, but that 130.00 price for 12 or 13 episodes is kinda steep...... i might still end up getting it though.

Don't let that price fool you. The Chu2 CE was the same SRP, but during the sentai sale on rightstuf, with the got anime discount, you get it for $70.19. It won't won't ACTUALLY cost $130.
Plus, on an inflation-adjusted basis, an MSRP $130 in 2015 is still less than the ~2005 singles-era price ($130, or $156 in 2015$) for a standard 4-singles + artbox release that could easily be bare-bones in terms of extras.

I'm just hoping the on-disc extras like the shorts and such will still be in the standard editions.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Dranio wrote:
LokiReed wrote:
I'm really happy that sentai is doing limited edition stuff now and that 'No Game No Life' is getting dubbed, but that 130.00 price for 12 or 13 episodes is kinda steep...... i might still end up getting it though.

Don't let that price fool you. The Chu2 CE was the same SRP, but during the sentai sale on rightstuf, with the got anime discount, you get it for $70.19. It won't won't ACTUALLY cost $130.

Almost every 12 episode BD gets listed at $60-70 MSRP and usually sells for $40-$50 even when they aren't on sale. It'll probably go for ~$100 even when it isn't on sale. Kinda jaded on the boxes since they'll probably be pretty chintzy and the CD/post cards don't seem worth an extra $50.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw this one coming from a mile away given its popularity.

The one thing that I'm still confused about though is... why is it so popular? I mean, from what I've seen of it, the series seems like one of those fun little shows people enjoy watching as it airs but don't think much about after it finishes airing.

It's not like Akame ga Kill where I'm asking myself 'Why do people even enjoy this show?' constantly because I think NGNL is a fine series. It just doesn't seem like the sort of show the western anime community would usually go wild for nor the sort of show that would get a bandwagon movement of people trying to stifle its popularity.

I get SAO, I get Titan, but NGNL just stumps me.

Kougeru wrote:
Stating the obvious but this is gonna sound like crap most likely. I kinda expected it tho since it was the overrated anime of last year
Sentai tend to put more effort into the popular stuff so this actually has a chance of getting a good dub spoiler[even though Penguindrum deserved a good dub way more than Watamote and HOTD].
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dubs are always welcome, how about season 2 though?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Given that BD/DVD combos can be pricier than either individual types, adding all those features I think might justify that price.

While it's been a while since I regularly bought DVDs (I actually watch most of my anime on either legit or copyright infringing sites), I think that if AoA was charging that much and had all those mentioned features, I would think that's a good price for them.
CharlesGZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Will buy for sure!

Off-topic:
Volume 7 was delayed until further notice since 03/05

Quote:
3月刊『ノーゲーム・ノーライフ7』『機巧少女は傷つかない15』は都合により発売延期となりました。楽しみにお待ち頂いている皆様、申し訳ございません。
Source: http://mediafactory.co.jp/bunkoj/news_and_topix/index

Never trust wikipedia...
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why is it popular

Because it has many thing that people would like it in the west:
Gaming, pseudo intellect, cool main guy and easily digestable references.
If they didn't remove lolicon content as hard as they did, it would have been dead in the westerners' eyes, but Madhouse made sure that's not the case. like always.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Why is it popular? No Game, No Life got me with its lush purple design scheme, kept me watching with its "What is a game?" storyline and won me over me its guts and ability to make an exciting climax out of anything- from placing an Othello piece to Death Shirotori.

Wait, that's not why it's popular, it's why its good. Those things combining in the show to reach an audience beyond myself, that's the reason its popular. The "Colors! Excitement! Otaku bait!" reasons? Maybe but that's unfair to anime in general...

It's nice to see the standard edition released alongside the Collector's one. So my first major Sentai purchase of 2015... is going to be released in July. That's different.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit though, the color pallet and gradients for No Game No Life is utterly striking that it would make me curious about it.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very fond of Sentai dubs (I liked Watamote and HotD's but that's about it), but this is good news for those who are. Pretty stoked about Patlabor 2 on Blu-Ray though, will it have both the Manga and Bandai dubs or just Bandai's?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'm just hoping the on-disc extras like the shorts and such will still be in the standard editions.

They should be in there; unless Sentai wants to author more discs.
Pietato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Why is it popular

Because it has many thing that people would like it in the west:
Gaming, pseudo intellect, cool main guy and easily digestable references.
If they didn't remove lolicon content as hard as they did, it would have been dead in the westerners' eyes, but Madhouse made sure that's not the case. like always.

The anime was with lolicon content removed hard? Jeez. It still had way too much. Really detracted from the show.
escahime65

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to own this one! I've already watched the whole thing about 5 times on Crunchyroll.

I almost never buy special or limited edition sets but this one may be the exception. Like has already been mentioned, I love the color scheme, game theme, and fantasy aspects. I recommend it to anyone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3