• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick Neon Genesis Evangelion For Best Background Music

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Pretty surprised there's absolutely NO Yoko Kanno in the top 10.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Wait! What?! How the crap are Death Note, Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED not even mentioned? They have better osts that pretty much every other anime listed. Even if it is just my opinion, they are still awesome.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely some good picks though, especially if you add the other choices that didn't make the list. Other great anime OSTs IMHO I can think of off the top of my head are FLCL, Gurren Lagann, and Higurashi.

I actually just bought the Attack on Titan OST CD a few months ago, it is a great soundtrack. Nice mix of ominous horror tunes, kick-*** battle themes, and melancholic tunes.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Lack of Yoko is disgusting. Blue Spring Ride kinda made me laugh since the music in that was pretty forgettable/unnoticeable. Outside the Joe Hisaishi this list makes me pretty sad.

I think there's several kinds of music in anime. Emotional music that makes you relive the time you were watching the anime when you hear it (Clannad, 5 Cm, Kanon, ect.), fun music like Bebop (though some tracks in that are also emotional), and then literally just background music that isn't anything special. I personally think most of these soundtracks fit #3 for the most part. I like emotional music the best though. I think the Sola OST is probably the most underrated OST out there...most of it is just really beautiful. Too tired to pick an absolute favorite so based off the ones listed in the article, I would say Bebop. Sawano Hiroyuki is very overrated.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 list:

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Spirited Away
4. Madoka Magica
5. Nausicaa

Surprised that nobody mentioned Haibane Renmei and IMO the best Hisaishi score is Princess Mononoke (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38) and also the best score of any animation ever made (among those I know).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm so unhappy Cowboy Bebop isn't in there. That soundtrack has sound and makes you feel melancholy, happy, relaxed and pumped. What is going on over there.

Top 5:
Cowboy Bebop
Spirited Away
FLCL
Paprika
A tie between Ouran HS Host Club and Azumanga Daioh (one is very classy and the other is simple but happy)
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No Cowboy Bebop? No FLCL??? No Serial Experiments Lain? I am dissapoint.

ETA: No Dot Hack Sign?????
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So, it's out of any feature or series ever made in any decade, and Katsu Hoshi's score for UY2: Beautiful Dreamer didn't even get a mention? Shocked

That's why you've got to put some kind of boundaries and categories on these-here fan polls.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised to see Evangelion topping the list, but just like everybody on this thread, the lack of Yoko Kanno's score really disturb me. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cosain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I got to say either Pandora Hearts or Tsubasa Chronicles has my fav OST/background music. Yuki Kajiura is goddess. Can't get enough of her music.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
As said, Bebop though a bit overrated, is still very, very good. Call Me, Call Me, which plays during Edward's touching leave of the ship, Waltz for Zizi is a beautiful and painfully nostalgic piece, the haunting jazz that closes out Jupiter Jazz Part 2, and it's equally beautiful music box rendition, and Blue, among others.
Eureka 7 is also a great soundtrack, has an incredible sense of atmosphere. The tunes may not be complete masterpieces on their own, but altogether it's composed with amazing cohesion.
And I admit to bias about this one as it might not be as good as I think it is, but I love the music for Lagrange: the Flower of Rinne. The orchestral bgm is sweet and compliments the scenes nicely, has some lovely tracks for the yuri scenes, and the opening and ending songs primarily the first seasons', are very energetic and memorable. But that's what you should expect from vocal Trance composed by Yoko Kanno.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball's OST is pretty great... hard to top really. Fist Of The North Star's is really great too.

I'd rank Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin up there as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Tough to say if I would put .hack//SIGN or Noir as my favorite BGM. I think SIGN being slightly more diverse in its tracks gets it the nudge this time.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Tough to say if I would put .hack//SIGN or Noir as my favorite BGM. I think SIGN being slightly more diverse in its tracks gets it the nudge this time.
.hack//SIGN would be my pick as well, I just never get tired of that one.
I'd probably pick GITS: SAC as a close second. I listen to those two more than any other anime soundtracks.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
DB's music is #2. Because Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is appreciated in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3