• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Grand Prix awards

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samuknight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Right now I'm rewatching Hokuto no Ken and I am just amazed at such exceptional quality the series has. In addition I am also watching the Z segment of the Dragon Ball TV series and also am amazed.

Both franchises were some of the biggest hits ever in the history of anime/manga to the point their original mangas sold over 100 million copies and still remain among the top 10 bestselling mangas of all time to this day. Their TV adaptations also took Japan by storm running for almost an entire decade (in the case of Dragon Ball it actually ran for nearly 2 decades if you count Z and vanilla as a single show).

So I'm incredibly shock neither won the annual Anime Grand Prix Award despite being some of the highest rated shows in Japanese TV history. Not even a single nominee for any category such as best character or best voice actor!

At first I just thought it was because both shows were too action packy and thus viewed as lacking the artistic license for the Grand Prix Award but I also noticed many beloved classics with far superior artistic merits such as the rest of the Gundam UC timeline (though the first one did win the first ever Grand Prix Award), Doraemon, City Hunter and Magic Knight Rayearth were never nominated for a single category throughout their show history.

So I am quite curious why many shows that were so beloved back in 80s and 90s Japan and would later get beloved when imported tot he West never qualified for a single Grand Prix nomination?
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Edited the title to this one as well. "Most impactful" sounds like a subjective, loaded statement. How do you define such a phrase?

I am unfamiliar with the Anime Grad Prix. How long has it been running and what shows have won?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's a poll that Animage magazine runs in Japan every year. The lack of DBZ or Hokuto no Ken only means that the readers of that magazine found stuff they liked better for those years.

Last edited by vanfanel on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Here you go, Willa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animage

I find it more surprising that Madhouse only appears on the list for CardCaptor Sakura. Most of the winners are mainstream hits rather than more "artsy" offerings.

My sense is that all anime awards reflect industry politics at least as much as artistic value. Am I being too cynical?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
My sense is that all anime awards reflect industry politics at least as much as artistic value. Am I being too cynical?

Well, this is just a reader poll, so I doubt politics has anything to do with it. Animage does this kind of poll every month, actually, for favorite characters; the Grand Prix is just the big one where they ask readers to look back over the year and decide what they liked best. Since it's a popularity poll, it's not surprising to see lots of popular hits on there.

Incidentally, the monthly poll for favorite female character had Nausicaa at or near the top for years on end, well into the 1990s. Although Animage was where the Nausicaa manga was serialized, I think the real reason for this was a large group of "Nausicaa's stormtroopers" who made a point to keep her in the top spot for as long as possible.

What I like about these polls is how clearly they outline the changing tastes of fandom, at least as expressed in one magazine's readership.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Well, this is just a reader poll, so I doubt politics has anything to do with it.

Even less of a reason to take it seriously as a measure of an anime's worth.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
A good list of artistically accomplished titles to watch are those who won the grand prize or excellence award in the Japan's Media Art's festival, or other works by the same artists. For instance, Miyazaki won with Princess Mononoke the first one in 1998, Madoka won in 2012, as Yuasa's Tatami Galaxy won in 2011, Kaiba won the excellence award in 2008, as did Serial Experiments Lain in 1998,

Jury members who choose and vote are usually directors or academics of animation. (http://j-mediaarts.jp/jury?locale=en)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1