• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Infamous Dragon Ball Z Scene Gets A Figure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Damn Yamucha, can't even blow up right!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
JGonspy wrote:
Aside from his debut fight against a hungry Goku, I'm not Yamcha ever got a win.

He beat the Invisible man.

He was always very unlucky in DB, though..his major defeats were against Mutenroshi, Tenshinhan and Kami-sama. He always ended up facing the strongest opponents right off the bat.

itachi06103570 wrote:
You know what's kind of funny in my opinion and I literally just thought of this now when Yamcha dies he didn't even blow up right like he just took the explosion and just got a small crater to show for it while chiaotzu ( sorry about the spelling) at least blew up completely hell even Krillin blew up and he did a better job at that than Yamcha.

Chaozu blew up himself, and Kuririn was a Freeza's victim. Yamcha was done in for a little Saibaiman exploding, so of course it wasn't the same.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
I don't even recall this character and I watched 400 episodes of dragon ball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
At least Yamcha got some wins. Chaozu never emerged victorious in anything except for some quick off-screen battles in the preliminary rounds for the first tournament he and Tenshinhan first met Goku in. (Yamcha does have the honor of being Goku's first fighting ally in the series though. Well, the first fighting ally who remained a combatant for the rest of the series, unlike Oolong and Puar.)

JGonspy wrote:
Aside from his debut fight against a hungry Goku, I'm not Yamcha ever got a win. His main job always seemed to be the credible threat who gets the stuffing knocked out of him to show that the bad guy is tough.

That said, he was one of my favourites and I wish Toriyama had used him more as the series went on, even in his less than stellar role.

Everybody except Goku and Gohan wound up jobbing or bench-warming at some point in the series and onwards, and even Gohan went jobbing for a while in the Buu saga.

But yeah, Toriyama was really not that good with a large cast, considering he'd forget some characters in his own series existed.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Poor Yamcha. I do wish Toriyama used more of the DB cast throughout DBZ too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Poor Yamcha. I do wish Toriyama used more of the DB cast throughout DBZ too.

I'm always amused by this complaint, because many members of the cast are gag characters, or at least gag-leaning. What's Oolong and Pu'er going to do against Piccolo Daimao? How's Kamesennin going to fight Raditz? What's Yajirobe going to do that will harm Freeza? Is Gyuumao going to make a big difference in a fight with Cell?

Characters serve the narrative and tone. They're bound to get pushed back if they're inappropriate for those two things.

I think I can forgive Toriyama forgetting about Lunch because I doubt any number of sneezes is going to get her to transform into something that can handle Majin Buu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
DarkLordDragon wrote:
It's kinda sad that Toriyama decided to let Yamaha be a supporting character and a weak one even though he was one of the main characters in the original DB.

Goku and Bulma were the main characters of the first arc, Yamcha was always just a supporting character.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:

I think Hameyadea meant right off the bat in the fight.

Which would still be wrong since the Saibaman blowing Yamcha up was a desperation/troll move that came after Yamcha beat it down. As opposed to it doing it at the start of their fight.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I think I can forgive Toriyama forgetting about Lunch because I doubt any number of sneezes is going to get her to transform into something that can handle Majin Buu.

But I cannot forgive Toriyama for mostly forgetting about #18. Unlike the human fighters she is not completely restrained by the limits of the human body (since she is a cyborg) and Bulma is a technological genius that should be able to power her up considerably. We saw #18 fight on one of the DBZ movies and "beat" Mr Satan thats about it. Toei made a powerup for her brother in DB GT, but not for her.

So yeah, Yamcha can stay in that hole in the ground, he is human with no energy projection technique and with the monsters in DBZ at most he can kick some grunts or be a part of a gag with puar and oolong, even Master Roshi is above him.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="penguintruth"]
grooven wrote:
What's Yajirobe going to do that will harm Freeza?

I don't know, but he beat Vegeta. :^)
Oh wait I forgot, he had help from a falling baby.

Yamcha is my favorite character from Dragonball, but yeah unless DragonBall had some kind of side story about sidelined characters theres not much they could do. I have this figure of him, its pretty good if you don't want a non-joke one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
There is one really important thing Yamucha has going for him.

He's voiced by Tohru Furuya!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

I don't know, but he beat Vegeta. :^)

He cut off his tail and then cut him later on afterwards (which did nothing). Far cry from him killing Cymbal in part 1 and literally making a meal out of him.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
It did show that Yajirobe's sword was still sharp enough, and Yajirobe skilled enough with it, that he was able to limit a fighter far, far stronger than him to one-tenth of his possible potential at the time.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Dragon Ball with manga that came after it though. Better stuff can be made by looking at the weaknesses of the things that came before it. That's the core idea of progress. Subsequent manga authors realized that most of Goku's companions fell by the wayside, and so we got stuff like One Piece and Blue Exorcist where all of the main characters improve with the protagonist. Heck, even Bleach, as much of a narrative punching bag as it is, does not allow most of its cast to become truly useless in battle.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
... does not allow most of its cast to become truly useless in battle.

I have a feeling that Toriyama could have easily made power ups for the rest of the gang (they already have senzu seeds that heal all and wish granting dragonballs) but purposely did not. Since on average people in japan on average are not as strong as the average european and if you look closely the most powerful fighters in DBZ are foreign (they are not even native to earth) so he is acknowledging the awe many asians feel of the strength foreigners (comparatively) have.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting theory, but it's almost certainly far more thought than Toriyama ever put into it; Goku always saved the day simply because he's the star of the show. It's so painfully obvious because Dragonball had already been overextended and Toriyama wasn't being given a break, so it devolved into "guy shows up to fight Goku & friends" plots. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece all give everybody a lot more enemies to fight, so it's less obvious.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Subsequent manga authors realized that most of Goku's companions fell by the wayside, and so we got stuff like One Piece and Blue Exorcist where all of the main characters improve with the protagonist.

Usopp is still mostly useless and Sanji to my recollection really hasn't had a major victory since the time skip.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Heck, even Bleach, as much of a narrative punching bag as it is, does not allow most of its cast to become truly useless in battle.

Well yeah not until they do something that ultimately makes them become useless like fighting a stronger opponent (Chad), burning through their power (Uryuu), or just not doing much of anything in spite of having broken abilities (Orihime).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2