• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Let's Go To Tokyo: Days Five & Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7--
That's OK; my mind is boggled, too! Shocked
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Wow. That's some dedication. I'm guessing there's some level of social shame for not following those rules then? Because where I live, not only is there a littering problem, there is an illegal dumping problem. It's so bad, some districts spend upwards of $1 million per week removing furniture, mattresses, TVs, refrigerators, trash bags, batteries, car parts, and decades-old large toys off sidewalks, alleyways, and sometimes in front of people's houses. A few task forces have popped up recently, some of them working with the police, but they are totally overwhelmed.

The reason it boggles my mind that people in Japan almost universally sort out their trash and make it easy for sanitation workers is because there is no real incentive to do so. Even if it's illegal, even if people could get arrested for it, if you dump it somewhere no one's watching, it's near impossible to actually get caught because it's a crime with no useful evidence.

(Illegal dumping drives me nuts, by the way. I always go through the most legitimate way possible if I have to dispose of irregular trash, but I get called a fool by some people for going through more trouble than I have to. Now I want to just ship all those people to Nagoya.)
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Regretably I noticed a lot of rubbish in the Usui Pass (between Karuizawa and Yokokawa, featured in Initial-D), dumped from the road into the ravine, where it would be extremely difficult to clear.

In Ōarai, Ibaraki prefecture (大洗町) famous for Girls und Panzer, I saw this sign in May 2013:

enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:28 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Wow. That's some dedication. I'm guessing there's some level of social shame for not following those rules then?

Yes. Japan is all about everyone following rules. Garbage bags have to be see-through clearly-labeled/color-coded and usually put at a common collection station, so your neighbors could see exactly who didn't sort out correctly or put the wrong garbage on the wrong day. (Not to mention learn what exactly you've been throwing away.) Laughing

Otherwise, you get this big red sticker from the garbagemen saying they're not taking your trash. And some nosy neighbors would even bring that bag back to your front door, so everyone knows whose trash bag it is.

omiya wrote:

Regretably I noticed a lot of rubbish in the Usui Pass (between Karuizawa and Yokokawa, featured in Initial-D), dumped from the road into the ravine, where it would be extremely difficult to clear.

Some people illegally dump 'em into the ravine to avoid having to pay the fee for bulky garbage collection.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Not to go off topic, but after reading both Omiya and Enurtsol posts. I'll say this: I never seen any Asian countries doing this type of practice like Japan when it comes to trash/recycle/rubbish handling. I never seen South Korea doing something like this when it comes to trash/recycling that include cutting and drying milk carton (and I know this because I was in South Korea for a month long vacation last year). I never heard of other countries in Asia like Taiwan doing this practice? Is this practice only exist in Japan?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I recall that Garden and Park from my visits. The national museum at the north end of Ueno park is worth a visit, by the way. Did you visit Shinjuku garden by the way? On my last visit I spent about two hours there just walking around and taking photos.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yes. Japan is all about everyone following rules. Garbage bags have to be see-through clearly-labeled/color-coded and usually put at a common collection station, so your neighbors could see exactly who didn't sort out correctly or put the wrong garbage on the wrong day. (Not to mention learn what exactly you've been throwing away.) Laughing

Otherwise, you get this big red sticker from the garbagemen saying they're not taking your trash. And some nosy neighbors would even bring that bag back to your front door, so everyone knows whose trash bag it is.

I take it, then, that for the same reason as to obedience to rules, you don't have other people tearing open your garbage bags to rummage through them and get stuff they want, not even homeless people?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I take it, then, that for the same reason as to obedience to rules, you don't have other people tearing open your garbage bags to rummage through them and get stuff they want, not even homeless people?

Even homeless people in Japan set up their own rules, usually not to be a nuisance and be invisible (that's good and bad, but that's another story).

But as mentioned, there's nothing stopping nosy neighbors and gossips about your trash though. Laughing
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hi Bamboo! Yes and Yes it is. Technically then we both agree Stinky Tofu is worst and I rank uni 2nd. To be fair though, you make a good point and maybe I haven't had really good and fresh uni. Goes to show how individual food preferences are. I still can't get my head around some of my Taiwanese friends who love ligitimately great food and then relish Stinky Tofu. Sorry, I really appreciate your photos but that one of the uni bowl says the opposite of "heaven" to me. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great uni is great. Mediocre or bad uni is REALLY bad.

In other words you get it really fresh or not at all IMO.

Gotta agree with that. Fresh uni is sublime. Uni that is only slightly past its freshness prime is almost uneatable. I don't think I know any other food that goes bad so quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2