• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Endlessly Searching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of licensed long-runners, there is also the matter of Funimation's Sgt. Frog release, stalled at episode 78 for 2 years now, and counting. The whole show is 358 episodes, and verily, it is clinically insane by any metric to expect them to release it all, especially after their TV bid fell through. But the real blood-tear inducing part of them leaving it on ice, is that a suitable endpoint for them to go out on lies at the end of just one more season (the whole thing encompassing season 2's 2nd half and ending, by the original JP order).
lem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
this week's title, so true. love it. Very Happy

I was very fortunate that all eight of the Region 1 DVD Maison Ikkoku Box Sets were available at very reasonable prices when I got mine. They're on my shelf alongside Fighting Spirit, Master Keaton, Kimagure Orange Road and Urusei Yatsura. All of which I still find to be as fun and charming as ever on a revisit. Sure I'd like to have subtitled blu sets for all of 'em or at the very least a Discotek type DVD re-release but what are the odds of that? yeah, probably about the same as me taking a stroll on the moon with a certain princess. Shocked

If you're still looking for them though I feel your pain. I know all too well that utterly frustrated feeling of trying to find that final volume or that last set to complete a series you're a fan of. To this day there are still a few OOP titles in R1 that I wouldn't mind having. And I couldn't care less for which format they're in as long as it's viewable and has an audio track! I'm not about to encourage any reseller price increases by saying which ones though!
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I've always pondered upon the lost potential of the Hentai Market. Despite rampant piracy and shrinking figures, sex still sells and hentai has a lot of opportunity for this. What's stopping them from creating a Crunchyroll/Funimation model of streaming new releases and also having a back catalog of classic titles? I'm guessing hentai production and publishing works in different ways compared to its mainstream counterparts.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Parker: Hunter x Hunter 2.0 didn't get picked up, 'cus the last one bombed. And I doubt the manga re-release is doing that much better to justify betting on the new show. Though maybe someone could at least bet on the first season, and see how it flies from there.
The first one bombed because it was an incomplete 1998 anime released in 2008 during the anime bust years and financial recession. It hardly had any exposure and a sub-par dub didn't exactly help its case. I'd say it's far from a good indicator of how the remake would do in the current market, especially considering it's success on Crunchyroll (popular enough to be featured in some of the company's advertisements) and it getting put up on Netflix.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Let me be uncouth and brag that I have all those Maison Ikkoku DVD sets.

PmChivas wrote:
For Gintama, sources say it did poorly in sales which is why Sentai stopped releasing it. Anime cry There is still hope that they will pull a Funimation-like move (aka Kodocha) and release the rest of it via subbed boxsets and not worry about dubbing.

Funimation never released the second half of Kodocha at all, did they?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I've always pondered upon the lost potential of the Hentai Market. Despite rampant piracy and shrinking figures, sex still sells and hentai has a lot of opportunity for this. What's stopping them from creating a Crunchyroll/Funimation model of streaming new releases and also having a back catalog of classic titles? I'm guessing hentai production and publishing works in different ways compared to its mainstream counterparts.

The curious thing is that anime piracy isn't even big on hentai. You'd have to look hard to find fansubbers out there dedicated to hentai.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I can simpathise with long running series fading in populatity. Especially those shounen ones. I bailed on both Naruto and Bleach after two arcs as both became the same template over and over again in looping repetition. I called it "crisis fatigue".
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
but seriously -- how many fans REALLY made it to the end of Sket Dance?

*raises hand*

Hey folks, don't judge me, it was a surprisingly good series; quite watchable in fact. It had a great sense of humour and excellent comedic timing, and the characters all fed off one another really well. Not every episode was a hit - some fell flat - but most were funny. Plus the dramatic episodes were genuinely moving.
loplop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

The curious thing is that anime piracy isn't even big on hentai. You'd have to look hard to find fansubbers out there dedicated to hentai.

Fan-subbing never hurt the Region 1 market that much. What really has hurt the market is the lack of titles being available to licensing. The reverse importation of titles, which are uncensored, did more to hurt the U.S. ero-anime market than anything else. Many titles were still licensed overseas, but not to U.S. or English speaking companies.

There is still a dedicated market in the U.S. that will buy ero titles, but there is nothing new available for anyone to pick-up. On the odd case of something that does show up, it's fairly old. For example, Kitty Media a few weeks back said on Facebook that it was working on dubbing a new title for release called Paid & Laid (aka Shakkin Shimai). The problem is that it was released by Milky in 2007-2008, so I doubt there will be people waiting on it. There was a time that it wasn't that unusual to see a ero title make it's way here in 4 to 6 months from the Japanese release. Hitozuma Kasumi-san aka The Hills Have Size happen to arrive in about 4.5 months in 2006.

I wouldn't say the market is dead, but's defiantly on life support. At least Critical Mass Video has tried to keep the market segment alive.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I can tolerate long-running shows, but if the episodes get too repetitive and there seems to be no ending in sight, that's when I find it hard to stay committed to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Parker:
Quote:
The first one bombed because it was an incomplete 1998 anime released in 2008 during the anime bust years and financial recession.

Perhaps, but we got the manga during the 2000 bubble, and it's not a popular series, like, say, Yu Yu Hakusho.

Quote:
I'd say it's far from a good indicator of how the remake would do in the current market, especially considering it's success on Crunchyroll (popular enough to be featured in some of the company's advertisements) and it getting put up on Netflix.

Again, unless there's a significant bump in manga sales for HxH, there's no incentive to bring over the new one. Maybe someone will at least test the waters by picking up the movies.

brave:
Quote:

Hentai's definitely big with scantalators, though. Or so I'm told. Rolling Eyes Anyway, the current market seems to be in doujin based off crappy harem and LN novels. So there's not much money to be made in 'original' hentai in Japan, either.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
I could definitely see it taking off if marketed correctly, perhaps with a well-timed slot on Toonami. Surely, something needs to come up to replace Naruto: Shippuden when its run ends?

Another 100 episode plus, series being shown on a weekly programming block?

That barely anyone watches?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hentai's definitely big with scanlators, though. Or so I'm told. Rolling Eyes Anyway, the current market seems to be in doujin based off crappy harem and LN novels. So there's not much money to be made in 'original' hentai in Japan, either.

Yes, there's a lot of hentai manga being released and translated more so than animated ones. However, doujins are fan made works with nonoe of the input nor profits going to the original creators so it's hardly relevant to the hentai industry. Most of it are adaptations of Visual Novels. LN's never tread into hentai waters no matter how close it's crossing the border.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else ever noticed an increase of hentai adapted from LNs lately? I'm looked up quite a few hentai anime titles coming out because of boredom and quite a few have LN sources.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
I feel for ya, Seth! I tried to collect Maison Ikkoku but pretty much gave up because of scarcity and the sky-high prices whenever I do find later volumes!

That was also the main reason I asked the question (thanks for answering Justin). I have come across the later volumes for sale, but they are a LOT of money, and before I deplete my bank account, I wanted to ask someone who had a better idea of the possibility of a re-release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7