• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
We do not need another extended argument about "the proper" way to watch the Fate / Stay night franchise. If someone actually asks The Question, then that's one thing; but I do not want people trying to derail this thread merely so that that they can vent their pet peeves.

EDIT: And if anyone does have questions, then you can find the pertinent threads in this index.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This is not an argument for the correct watching order. This is an advice to move on if you don't find this interesting, but really want to watch the next thing.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Goddesses, I hope so!
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Onto Highschool DxD for me. So much pervy fun action comedy eye-candy goodness.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
(To anybody who mentions the visual novel, no, I don't care about what happened there.)

Then I suggest not asking questions like "Why X happened in this way" and "why character Y acted that way".

You don't have to watch the old adaptation to get into F/Z anyway so if you find it boring just jump to Zero or the new UBW. All you'll get is a better understanding of Holy Grail War rules and Saber's story resolution that may or may not piss you off.

Thanks for your advice! Really, thanks. Laughing

Anyway, I think I'll stick this one through for all twenty-four episodes. I kind of have a thing for completing what I watch, and to me, it feels like cheating to start Fate zero first. Besides, I know that people around here have very strong opinions on the franchise, and I'm watching the first anime so that I know what I'm talking about in some regards. I've also kind of been told to stay as far away from the original visual novel as possible, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I should also mentions my thoughts on the dub. It's listenable. Liam O'Brien and Julie Ann Taylor are very good so far, Sam Riegel delivers plenty of charm in some parts, but Sherry Lynn is pretty flat as Sakura. (Which honestly isn't her fault, since her character has had very little to do in the first episode.) I'll probably come back for my thoughts on Episodes 2-6, along with a review of Paranoia Agent. So! See you there.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I've also kind of been told to stay as far away from the original visual novel as possible, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I'm curious as to why you were told to stay away from the VN? Is it because of the sex scenes? If so, the RealNua version (which was used for the PS2, IIRC) has them removed. Other than that... yeah, I'm curious what would've prompted that advice, though admittedly VNs in general aren't for everyone.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom

Because I started watching this series over a year ago and never got around to finishing it, due to lack of emotional investment. This significantly changed in the second half. Still, after watching Berserk before, the soundtrack of Phantom really stood out in a negative way, never knowing when to keep things quiet and subdued (which Berserk was perfect at). Episode 18 was my favorite by far, which is where everything came together in an unexpected emotional way. An interesting show, pretty to look at, with a questionable soundtrack or rather use thereof, and an ending that felt like the creators really just felt the need to kick the audience in the private parts once more, for fun's sake. I'm exaggerating, the ending was foreshadowed long before, but still, was that necessary, guys? Have some mercy. Rating it good, with some episodes standing out as excellent, like the aforementioned episode 18.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I watched a cheesy one shot 80s ova called Le Deus (or Ladius as the subbers called it). Very adventurous and pretty looking with a random giant robot fight at the end. Laughing At first I thought it was from Masami Obari until I went to MAL and found out this was made by the same guy that directed the first Machine Robo series and Dancouga. No wonder it looked so similar to Obari style. Very entertaining, if you have 45 minutes to kill I'd say give it a watch.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Highschool DxD New

I'm a perv.

It makes me laugh.

Characters are endearing cliches, which I am all aboard for.

I love Fantasy, Romance, Comedy, Ecchi stuff. Plus I am HUGE into mecha and the dragon armor looks INSANE!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Ōkami-san and Her Seven Companions. It was quite a fun watch. The show's parodies of classic fairy tales was what made it so enjoyable, like how Ryōko tries to hide her gentle side with her slightly quick-tempered facade and Ringo's tendency of being manipulative. It's too bad that it only lasted 12 episodes...
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching Hourou Musuko very nice mature and serious treatment of the pscyhology of teenagers who challenge gender identity rules imposed by society: main character is a boy who looks cute in girls clothes, so why he shouldn't be allowed to dress the way he wants?

Animation is excellent as well, with very high framerates for a TV show. Indeed, I was surprised such obscure title would have such incredible animation.

It also reminds me of that series about a 27 year old man who falls in love with his 15 year old sister. Forgot it's name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It also reminds me of that series about a 27 year old man who falls in love with his 15 year old sister. Forgot it's name.

Perhaps you were thinking of Koi Kaze?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I started watching some one course anime called Stray Cat Overrun! and I can safely say this is the most boring anime I have ever seen. Not counting trash like Soul Link, Prism Ark, Muv-Luv Total Eclipse, Fate/Stay Night and Zero in this only because those are eroge adaptions which are all in limbo to me. Anyway, never have I seen an anime that started off with such slow pacing and kept getting slower over time to the point where time itself is faster than episode progress if that makes any sense. Also, random subplot of an institution in the last two episodes that goes literally nowhere. On top of that the music was bad, the ecchi and comedy were very poor, and Fumino was such a horrid character I have a theory this could have been decent if they made her tolerable. The only things preventing me from giving this a 1/10 were the fact that eps 6, 7, and 8 actually entertained me somewhat and the art was not bad. How funny that an anime with cats in the title do nothing with them aside from pop up once in a while. I am actually baffled no anime site classifies this as slice of life, is it too over the top or comedic?

May as well give round up thoughts on stuff I finished that was airing:

-G-Reco: On one hand it's Tomino's best anime since Victory Gundam, on the other hand the structure between episodes was incredibly erratic like the sequels to the Universal horror movies of the 1940s. Tomino may have lost his glory, but he tried very hard to reclaim it, I'm glad he went out with this instead of the raw disappointment of Turn A.

-Aldnoah.Zero Season 2: Continued the progress and aside from fan servicy bits and pacing hiccups it lived up to the hype of the first half with good payoff. Perfect score from me! Nice way to kick off the year.

-Cross Ange: Aside from issues like the setting could use more fleshing out, the ecchi crap, the bad music, and the lack of mecha action I think it was very well done with a surprisingly happy ending. Plus I know people are going to disagree, but it has one of the best couples in anime history. There. I said it. Not taking that back and I can see Vaisaga going back to Mecha Talk going "Chris, Duel did it again, he praised Fukada and made an outlandish statement" and someone will drop the D word. Razz Of course I do kid with that last sentence.

I've been giving thought as to whether or not I should take on Maria The Virgin Witch, for those that have seen it please tell me spoiler[was there rape in this in the last third or was that a false alarm? Just say was or false alarm, please.]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
LOGH: Spiral Labyrinth - really boring series. Has some great writing but some parts feel like they last forever, I find it way less engaging than the original Legend of Galactic Heroes or the films of the franchise (haven't watched Golden Wings though).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! So, remember when I said I'd be posting my thoughts on Episodes Two through Six of the first Fate stay Night anime? Here they are! What do I think of the first quarter of this show?

At the very least, Episodes Two through Six are much better than Episode One by sheer virtue of not being boring as tar. Things actually happened during these episodes. Well, there was also a lot of talking, but still, plot progression! Isn't that great?

Thing is, I've done a lot of research into the Nasu-verse fandom. General consensus is that the Fate route- which this anime is an adaptation of- is the least favorite route in the original visual novel. Fortunately, should the critically praised Unlimited Blade Works adaptation be dubbed soon, I'd be happier. Even then, what I'm watching now hasn't reached intolerable levels for me yet. By the way, I'm skipping the movie on hearsay that it's incomprehensible to outsiders.

In regards to the characters, the only three I actually like right now are Rin, Archer, and Saber. They're the most interesting out of the cast so far. Shirou is your average harem lead (understandable, since this was adapted from an eroge), but once again, Sam Riegel is very good at giving him some personality. Taiga was funny...for one episode. I don't hate her, but since she has no purpose aside from being a cliche "sensei-chan" comic relief, she's starting to get on my nerves. At least Mako Makanshoku from Kill la Kill did something once in a while, and she was hilarious at it!

So, yeah. I'm officially twenty-five percent done with this. Those are my opinions. The show is okay, gets dull in places, but doesn't actively try to make me want to quit. Besides, I can watch Fate zero afterwards, so this cloud definitely has a silver lining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 843 of 1061