• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Seven Deadly Sins (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
That'll do, pig, that'll do.

*sniff*

Somehow, I don't think we've spoiler[seen the last of Master Hawk.]
Glamrgrl104

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Have watched a few episodes of this and really liking it so far. After watching Akame ga kill, I like that this one is less drama although don't get me wrong I like Akame ga kill and drama, it can just be overwhelming watching it all the time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
Season 24 (Finale):

Well, that was a bit predictable imo but overall was fun to watch in the end.spoiler[ (there also seems to be a bit of a hint for season 2 in the future...)]

Anyways, spoiler[I'm glad to see Merlin and also Hawk returning! That brave little big is back! Good for him. Nice to know that the season ended with a happy ending although the story is far from over. We do still have the Ban OVA though so I expect the wait for season 2 to take quite a bit still.]

Rating this season as very good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ahhhhhhh, really loved the finale. It does what I like finales to do (but doesn't seem to happen as much as I like): it spoiler[wrapped up the fighting early enough that there was time to give things a proper send-off. Not to mention set the table nicely for the next series which I cannot wait for.]

I'm giving this title an Excellent rating. It was just a ton of fun with characters I really liked and interesting storylines.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

So at last my joint favourite (with Log Horizon) series of this season comes to a tremendous end. The action was spoiler[wrapped up nicely before the half time point] which, as Blood- said, gave the episode plenty of time to deal with the fallout that followed.

So with that ending, there's a slight hope that we spoiler[may get an eventual Season 2].... fingers crossed! I'm going to give Nanatsu no Taizai an Excellent+ rating for reasons I've explained over the season.

I also have to give massive praise to the score by Hiroyuki Sawano which has been brilliant the entire series but that's no surprise considering his previous work.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (Finale)

An alright ending, a great fight yet ending it fairly early so there was plenty to also see.

First thing I want to talk about it Gowther. Being a spoiler[magically created being like a homunculus] seems most likely with him spoiler[moving with his head taken off and a relationship with Merlin]. He became on of my more favoured characters, and the episode had him quite a bit like helping with the plan. Also he apparently spoiler[saved Guila by brainwashing her into falling in love with him, some kind of odd scenes of her with] the Goat's Sin of Lust. Also Gowther was spoiler[wearing Elizabeth's clothes]. And I can't get enough of his out of character poses.

Hawk still seems like a major mystery. What is he? But really I pretty much fell in love with all the other main characters too; primarily Meliodas, Diane, Ban, and King. I started off so against how this series just kept raising the stakes with higher more ridiculous shows of strength, that it took me a while to feel like there was any actual urgency. But this series got good when I started to get a hang of how things were done, and half the fun came from cheering on the powerful titan of a hero or heroine. Actually one of my favourites was King, and it made me smile when many of the knights had to spoiler[scramble when he started his sunflower attack], he was pushed out of that tournament easily but he is tough. Also great part of the episode with spoiler[human sized Diane].

This is a hot blooded shounen where the villains can be ridiculously strong and the heroes can be even more so. It was fun, it was actually emotional in parts, and any hammy over reaction like scenes were totally deserved as the action would match it. I rate the show as Very good. Along with other similar action shows like Magi, I would really like to see more.

I was actually having a little fun doing some searches the other day, I was thinking about how this show and Fairy Tail are kind of similar and I was surprised that there was some crossover work done by the mangaka. There is a picture of Elizabeth hugging Happy.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
Any reason to why it's not reviewed on here ? Just curious.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
Any reason to why it's not reviewed on here ? Just curious.

no legal stream in the U.S.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see. Thanks.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24

Pretty cheesy and expected ending. Not a bad thing but with this anime I just love to hate everything about it Anime smile.

I already knew what the Captains plan was before they explained it in the anime. It was so incredibly obvious that I think I lost respect for big bad's intelligence. But what gets me the most is why on God’s green earth wasn’t the captain using his full counter BEFORE that final tactic? I mean it just makes no [expletive] sense. He had plenty of instances in which he could of done it. But he didn’t because……………I don’t even want to know anymore man. This anime is so forgetful of it’s established rules freaking Patrick Star would be impressed.

So if Hawk is alive but mini now does that mean all the other people who died are the same way too? Or does no one care? I’m betting on the latter Razz. Don’t me wrong I’m glad Hawk is alive but there better a better explanation than “duh…….shit happens right?”. I’d like it better if they at least acknowledged why this happened by indicating Elizebeth’s strong feelings to bring Hawk back were stronger than they were for everyone else that way it sets up another strong emotional moment due to the nature of Elizebeth’s sympathy.

Probably the best thing about this episode was Gilthunder actually acknowledging that the suffering he caused people in the end cannot be easily forgiven. I'd like to see them handle this development similar to how Avatar did it. But from the ending it doesn't even look like he'll have time to think about what he's done since the plot happened before he could. Don't you dare ruin one of the only moments I've liked so far show!

Bleh it's whatever though. I kind of went into this anime with low expectations. Expecting it to be a big dumb action adventure with a hint of romance. That’s something I’m typically ok with but this anime just pushed all the wrong buttons for me. The sheer reliance on luck, coincidences and dumb villains rivals Akame ga Kill standards. I strongly stand by the fact that an anime can be stupid but smart at the same time. It doesn’t have to be ALL stupid contrived nonsense. And to it’s credit the anime DID foreshadow some events in clever ways but those moments were far and inbetween. This is a series that runs on shock factor not coherent linear progression. Instead of giving us characters we can feel sorry for we are giving douchebags who when it’s most convenient make a sudden leap towards redemption when it’s rather unearned. Instead of making them sympathetic we have to see them only as jerks so we can be fooled by their 180 heel turn later. It’s that kind of manipulative writing that will NEVER sit well with me. I’ve seen that shit so many times in shounen it’s not even funny. I’m just not one of those people who can change my opinion of someone at the drop of a hat. Same thing is done with the heroes to. They end up doing things that the show had PLENTY of time to build up but just hides until the right moment to surprise the audience. Nope not flying with me.

Overall can’t say I enjoyed much about this anime. The Sins were pretty annoying (except for Hawk who isn’t even a sin), there was nothing really compelling about them and I wouldn’t really be sad if any of them kicked the bucket. The fights barely ever had any tension since most of the time it was just a matter of the Sins not using their full power similar to DBZ. And even later on when the fights got more serious you can count on stupid villains not finishing the job or deus ex’s popping up.

My redemption arc:

In all seriousness I acknowledge this anime just pushed my personal buttons and can see why people who don’t take it as seriously as I do like it (because they aren't retarded spazzes like me).

Hell I liked Kill la Kill (even if that’s more of a guilty pleasure) which is much absurd than this show. So I’m not acting as if I’m without fault here. It’s just that this is one of the few shows I decided to watch this past season since I’ve been slowing falling out of anime. So even with my low expectations for it to manage to piss me off to such a degree made me lose my cool a bunch. Not sure why Sad
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a lively and good series.

It was balanced, even if it's over the top. That's the style of the manga. Given that's been green lighted for second season, its a good sign.

I hope the next season/series can keep up the quality and pacing the original series set as milestone for a successful series.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
When did it get greelighted? I haven't seen confirmation on any major site yet. There is a joke post on MAL but that's it.

I don't doubt it will get a second season (much to my dismay) but it'll likely take the Magi route and wait about a year before continuing again so they have more source material to work with.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
you're going to be stupid and watch another season of a show you don't like, aren't ya?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I don't doubt it will get a second season (much to my dismay) but it'll likely take the Magi route and wait about a year before continuing again so they have more source material to work with.

Because people cannot enjoy a fun show that likes to make action go over the top, you have to feel dismay over it. Fine I was not going to go through your post apart but here we go.

leatherhead333 wrote:
I already knew what the Captains plan was before they explained it in the anime. It was so incredibly obvious that I think I lost respect for big bad's intelligence.

That is because you are familiar with the genre, not because it is obvious in universe, after all it was a secret technique.

leatherhead333 wrote:
But what gets me the most is why on God’s green earth wasn’t the captain using his full counter BEFORE that final tactic? I mean it just makes no [expletive] sense. He had plenty of instances in which he could of done it. But he didn’t because……………I don’t even want to know anymore man. This anime is so forgetful of it’s established rules freaking Patrick Star would be impressed.

Well it was not even just a full counter that is what he needed to use to do much damage, he had to build up damage to unleash a full counter at high power. We can see that the mention of taking damage more at that point that he had largely already used full counter as a way to deflect damage during the fight.

leatherhead333 wrote:
So if Hawk is alive but mini now does that mean all the other people who died are the same way too? Or does no one care? I’m betting on the latter Razz. Don’t me wrong I’m glad Hawk is alive but there better a better explanation than “duh…….shit happens right?”. I’d like it better if they at least acknowledged why this happened by indicating Elizebeth’s strong feelings to bring Hawk back were stronger than they were for everyone else that way it sets up another strong emotional moment due to the nature of Elizebeth’s sympathy.

Or you know, the damn talking pig is not normal. We have no idea what Hawk's origins are, but he seems to have a giant pig, which is apparently his mother, and carries a building. What was on Hawk's ear, something about star pig? The secret behind what the deal is with Hawk seems to be something to be revealed later in a series, kind of like what the deal with Happy is in Fairy Tail as a cat.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Probably the best thing about this episode was Gilthunder actually acknowledging that the suffering he caused people in the end cannot be easily forgiven. I'd like to see them handle this development similar to how Avatar did it. But from the ending it doesn't even look like he'll have time to think about what he's done since the plot happened before he could. Don't you dare ruin one of the only moments I've liked so far show!

We know that he was being forced to act a certain way, and which was to act like the overzealous Knights he was a part of. And even if it was done to protect someone close to him, he did feel guilty and started to try and set things straight as soon as he was able, and planned to do more. Was that enough or do you actually want to see him suffer more.

leatherhead333 wrote:
This is a series that runs on shock factor not coherent linear progression. Instead of giving us characters we can feel sorry for we are giving douchebags who when it’s most convenient make a sudden leap towards redemption when it’s rather unearned. Instead of making them sympathetic we have to see them only as jerks so we can be fooled by their 180 heel turn later. It’s that kind of manipulative writing that will NEVER sit well with me. I’ve seen that shit so many times in shounen it’s not even funny.

The show really did throw the shock thing up to 11, and in my opinion is done in knowledge of how things are done in shounen. You were not meant to watch it expecting a normal story, you were meant to follow what crazy things can happen in this world of shounen fighting. What events could push the characters to push their strength, and where their limits were. There is saying what you did not like, and then there is mistaking the core theme of a series as bad writing.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
you're going to be stupid and watch another season of a show you don't like, aren't ya?

You know me so well Laughing

DuskyPredator wrote:
Because people cannot enjoy a fun show that likes to make action go over the top, you have to feel dismay over it. Fine I was not going to go through your post apart but here we go.

When did i say I cared about what other people think about the show? You guys really need to stop being so touchy when nobody is even attacking you directly.

DuskyPredator wrote:
That is because you are familiar with the genre, not because it is obvious in universe, after all it was a secret technique.

When he saw his friends attacking him Hendrick should have seen something was up. Yet he just continues to attack Meldioas being confident he's doing all this stuff for no damn reason. I find it odd that he never went for a killing blow against him like trying to rip his heart out or cutting off his head. It's not like he was uncapable of doing it. He was toying with Melodias the whole time. I mean he cut Gowther's head off and cut ban in half. Of course he'd only do this against people who can't die and not the mortal characters. Funny how that works eh?

DuskyPredator wrote:
Well it was not even just a full counter that is what he needed to use to do much damage, he had to build up damage to unleash a full counter at high power. We can see that the mention of taking damage more at that point that he had largely already used full counter as a way to deflect damage during the fight.

I'm talking about BEFORE he tried that damage counter. He didn't try that until after he was healed and Gowther communicated the plan to everyone. He could have used it against the energy based attacks Hendrick was doing. Two examples being when he chose to shield Elizabeth form an energy blast with his body instead of........you know USING HIS [expletive] COUNTER to send the attack back. Or the big attack Hawk had to protect him from. Don't even try that "He was still hurt" argument either. He could have very well just unleashed a portion of his demonic power to give him an energy boost (like he did in the fight vs Ban) which is shown to give him strength and heal is injuries. So yeah all in all I suppose they needed to make a situation where Hawk had to sacrifice himself abandoning any sense of logical reasoning. That's fine for the kind of show this is but isn't something I have to agree with.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Or you know, the damn talking pig is not normal. We have no idea what Hawk's origins are, but he seems to have a giant pig, which is apparently his mother, and carries a building. What was on Hawk's ear, something about star pig? The secret behind what the deal is with Hawk seems to be something to be revealed later in a series, kind of like what the deal with Happy is in Fairy Tail as a cat.

Hawk hasn't shown anything that makes him special other than his ability to talk. That's not even that weird in a world with giants, fairies etc. Elizabeth at least showed her special power earlier in the series which made the reveal of her special power actually make sense. I'm willing to entertain the idea he could hold some special power that will show up later (which is in line with how this series likes to do things) but it's still silly. Why would his only power be to somehow escape death because "reasons"?

DuskyPredator wrote:
We know that he was being forced to act a certain way, and which was to act like the overzealous Knights he was a part of. And even if it was done to protect someone close to him, he did feel guilty and started to try and set things straight as soon as he was able, and planned to do more. Was that enough or do you actually want to see him suffer more.

He never suffered at all. At least never on screen. Which is why I hated his redemption episode. He was set up to be this tragic character who was forced to do the work of his enemy for many years yet we NEVER saw what he was going through. That's just bad characterization in my opinion. They had a chance to at least show the process he had to go through in order achieve the completely emotionless facade he had at this point but nope we never even got that. Why should I feel sorry for someone who I NEVER saw in pain over his misdeeds until the VERY end of the show? Again this proves my point about the show lacking build up for these events which makes any emotional connection these characters nonexistent.

DuskyPredator wrote:
The show really did throw the shock thing up to 11, and in my opinion is done in knowledge of how things are done in shounen. You were not meant to watch it expecting a normal story, you were meant to follow what crazy things can happen in this world of shounen fighting. What events could push the characters to push their strength, and where their limits were. There is saying what you did not like, and then there is mistaking the core theme of a series as bad writing.

Full Metal Alchemist would like a word with you. Just because something is shounen that gives it an excuse to be stupid? Ummmm nope. Heck even Naruto to some point explains a lot of it's logic even if some of the explanations are just to cover up plot holes.

Sorry but when an anime continuously forgets it's own established rules that IS bad writing. Which is what the series does on several occasions. Having to move the plot forward through convenient circumstances at every turn? Just decreases any tension of the situation. I understand the "Samurai Flamenco" argument but EVEN that show explains it's logic even if it was a deus ex. This series hardly explains ANYTHING especially it's very important plot points like how Melidoas knew about Gilthunder's situation.

I've been told by manga readers about some events the anime skips which explained some of my issues but the adaptation is still at fault for skimming these details and making a confusing/nonsensical plot. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8