• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring 2015 Anime Lineup.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Full list of series that will debut this Spring of 2015 had me frowining a lot so..

https://livechart.me/spring

So again, 3/4 of those are harems and some are new seasons that are hyped, except for the disappointing ones that made me skip them altogether. I just can't believe ANN missed Jewelpet Magical Change. (I'm waiting for your approval admins please! Don't ignore my submission!) Wow.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
UBW 2nd half, Kekkai Sansen, Arise with extra 2 episodes and maybe something else that isn't full of girls should work for me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
I'll be watching Unlimited Blade Works and whatever else is continuing that I'm currently watching. Garo? Rolling Girls? I don't know. Haven't looked into it. Anyway, in descending order of expectations:

Blood Blockade Battlefront / Kekkai Sensen
Pros: BONES. Even their misses are usually still better that some studios' best output. Directed by the guy who did the visually impressive Kyousogiga. Based on a manga by the author of Trigun. (Mind you, that's only a partial plus as I strongly prefer the anime but still). The premise sounds like a lot of fun. Has characters named things like Zapp Renfro and Blitz T. Abrams. There's really little reason to be anything but optimistic here.
Cons: I've been wrong before.

Ninja Slayer From Animation
Pros: Being made by Studio Trigger. That's...definitely a net positive at least right? Plus it sounds like it was ripped straight out of a prototypical ultraviolent 80s OVA.
Cons: It sounds like it was ripped straight out of a prototypical ultraviolent 80s OVA. So there's probably no scenario where this isn't super dumb right? Fun still, maybe, but dumb for sure.

Lupin III
Pros: I like the Lupin franchise in principle. Super thieves, detectives, car chases and capers and cool foreign locales. Good stuff. Chief director is an old veteran of the franchise. Other staff seem okay at least.
Cons: In practice? I've only actually seen Fujiko Mine. I assume this won't be that so what will it be? I don't know.

Digimon Adventure Tri
Pros: I could very easily ride a nice comfy nostalgia wave right through this show if it can just be decent enough even. Honestly, even as an adult I still have a certain weakness for monster battling. Plus, there's always an outside chance this'll actually just be a good show.
Cons: I really no idea which way they'll go with this. Trying too hard to make if Digimon for adults could totally undermine the above effect. Not trying hard enough could result in too much formulaic boredom. It could be a tricky balancing act.

My Love Story / Ore Monogatari!!
Pros: Odd as it may sound, I'm always interested when I see a show and can't quite tell who its for. This is...Shojo apparently? If so it certainly defies the conventional, wish fulfillment setup of having a bishounen as the apparent love interest. Plus Madhouse has been really on their game lately. And the director has done Chihayafuru, Card Captor Sakura, and NANA which are all quite well regarded.
Cons: As I said, I don't know who this is for. Maybe not me. A lot of Shoujo I don't consider to be bad...it just doesn't do anything for me personally.

Plastic Memories
Pros: Steins;Gate and (what I saw of) Robotics;Notes did a lot of things right. Some really upshot there. This sounds like it actually could, theoretically go the route of being a real serious Sci-Fi show.
Cons: Both the aforementioned are also deeply, deeply flawed shows that seriously undermine themselves with otaku pandering. Realistically, will this be any different?

Punch Line
Pros: There's an outside chance this is something really amazing an subversive or tongue in cheek right? MAPPA is the shit right now. And noitaminA too. That still carries some weight with me.
Cons: Overwhelmingly though, chances are, this is MAPPA & noitaminA playing the bills right? The premise is certainly such that I wouldn't even watch normally. Staff are nobodies too. That inspires little confidence in me that this is anything but what it seems.

Seraph of the End / Owari no Seraph
Pros: Wit Studio. If anyone can make dumb, dark, violent, action fantasy work it might be them.
Cons: Otherwise little reason to be optimistic.

Heroic Legend of Arslan
Pros: The old Arslan OVA is good right?
Cons: Terrible writer. Workaday director. Studio I've never even heard of. I really see zero reason I shouldn't just skip this and maybe finally get around to watching the original OVA.

So yeah...not a bad crop. Only one that I'm really super excited for but a whole lot of shows with some potential. Hopefully a few pan out.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
UBW 2nd half, Kekkai Sansen, Arise with extra 2 episodes and maybe something else that isn't full of girls should work for me.

And I am the exact opposite. All the stuff listed above {UBW isn't full of icky girls?} makes me groan. Anyway:

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected Zoku. As much as I love the first season, I'm still uncertain if that love will move on to the second but I'm willing to find out.

Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. The author's much better first series, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan , never made it to anime but the follow up... Actually, I never could get into it but I already know I like the designs. I only like the designs.

Triage X. Trash by the guy who drew the High School of the Dead trash. I can get behind that.

Sound Euphonium, Kyo animation work, I don't know if it'll get licensed but I'd be there if it is.

Plastic Memories. I sing the body electric! Bound to be in there or something like it, it sound very much an anthology but as long as it's not as badly framed as Mushi-shi, I'll try it.

Ore Monogatari. Maybe, I don't know. I'll try an episode or two.

Nisekoi 2. Wait, wasn't there enough damage done by Nisekoi 1? I'm out.

The Heroic Legend of Arsla. Is there a fantasy requisite? Ok, guess this is it then.

Hello! Kin-iro Mosaic. Really? I mean, why? The series that needed two blonde foreigners to make it through the first season got a second; Is there a third blonde now?

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? If my taste is what's wrong with anime these days then I have to keep doing my job. The sheer stupidity of it makes it one of my top picks.

Around 8 series, sounds like too many. It'll probably be down to four or so after the first two weeks.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Directed by the guy who did the visually impressive Kyousogiga.

Rie Matsumoto is a woman. Wink

The only things I'm interested in:

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
The second season of my favorite romcom of all time. With Shoutarou Suga on series composition, I'm pretty sure it will be just as awesome as the first season.

Kyousougiga was one of the most visually impressive anime I've ever seen. I would watch anything by Rie Matsumoto even if it had the most dumb premise ever (and with BONES x Trigun, that doesn't seem to be the case).

Last edited by Ignatz on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gamlin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Pros: BONES. Even their misses are usually still better that some studios' best output. Directed by the guy who did the visually impressive Kyousogiga. Based on a manga by the author of Trigun. (Mind you, that's only a partial plus as I strongly prefer the anime but still). The premise sounds like a lot of fun. Has characters named things like Zapp Renfro and Blitz T. Abrams. There's really little reason to be anything but optimistic here.
Cons: I've been wrong before.

I watched a few episode of Trigun but I never got into it so yeah. So my expectation on the other series maybe miss. Now for my expectations:

Kyoukai no Rinne
Pros: Rumiko Takahasi is a no brainier for this. I actually never read the manga myself and seeing the premise it looks kinda interesting.

Cons: If the producers dragged this long like InuYasha did, then I am seriously not bothering watching the later episodes.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid
Pros: Least were getting a decent Nanoha sequel after StrikerS and since its from the manga it won't be a bad thing right? But exactly I was wondering if they're gonna adapt all manga chapters instead of being a 12-episode series.

Cons: A1 Pictures is a hit and miss studio these days. HOW come they were hired to animate this?? I skipped The IdolMaster series because its boring and the animation studio isn't trying something new.

Jewelpet: Magical Change
Pros: Yay 7th season! Now they finally ditched the human character concept and go all out and make the Jewelpets transform into one. Though this is not the first time such a concept is used in an Anime.

Cons: One giant storm cloud is looming over this series. As if Kira Deco, Happiness and Sweets Dance Princess are bad enough to be considered Worst Anime Series and Movies of All Time, I'm fearing Magical Change will go to the "pointless plot for young overhyper children" route again.

Show By Rock
Pros: Sanrio became bold with this. Adapting their smartphone game into an anime is not bad but I was wondering how will the premise work.

Cons: Sanrio worked on darker animes in the past like Ringing Bell however, if there is no decent plot on this and is just mindless CGDCT then I will say "NO DAMN WAY" in Japanese. At least Sanrio should announce the full plot and animation studio damnit!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

And I am the exact opposite. All the stuff listed above {UBW isn't full of icky girls?} makes me groan.

Such a song and dance from you about giving up the show a few weeks into the first half, so who are you to talk when only 3 of the main characters in that show fulfil your criteria for entertainment.

You have your shows, I have mine. I'll continue anything from this quarter that doesn't end in March plus a few new ones, but I'll be glad for less to watch in the next quarter.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I've got lots of stuff that I'm looking forward to for Spring Season, I'm actually worried I won't have enough time for everything.

Definitely watching:

As always, the sequels: Saint Seiya Soul of Gold (this is probably the series I'm more hyped about!), Digimon tri (please Toei, don't pull a Crystal on us), Unlimited Blade Works and UtaPri3

Kekkai Sensen: I have a blind faith in Bones, of their recent offerings none have really disappointed. The phrase "stylish superhumans" from the summary has me completely sold.

Shokugeki no Soma: The manga's been getting a lot of buzz lately, it seems to be one of WSJ newest hits and the character design looks right up my alley. Since it's not Toei animating it, I'm not worried about it going the disaster no-budget way World Trigger did.

High expectations

Ninja Slayer: Although I'm not a religious Trigger fanatic (I called pass on the LN based thing they did in Fall), they're still on the upper scale in my studio ranking, and this sounds original and with the potential to be some real crazy stuff.

Heroic Legend of Arslan: I read the first chapter of the manga (the new one, with Arakawa) and it seems like just my kind of medieval fantasy story, even though the studio makes me uneasy about it.

Will check out:

Owari no Seraph: The story sounds terribly generic, but I'll put some faith in Studio Wit, plus the color scheme reminds of last year's Chaika, also Hiroyuki Sawano is doing the music and the guy seems to be on a roll this year.

Punchline: I'm going to be honest, after watching the PV, I wouldn't even give it the time of the day if it wasn't both a noitaminA and MAPPA show. MAPPA didn't only produce two of my favorite series last year, but also one of my all-time favorite noitaminA show, so I have faith in them.

Kyoukai no Rinne: Sounds like a rinse-and-repeat of other Takahashi works, but the characters look cool. And I'm not going to act like I don't like Takahashi's brand of supernatural fantasy romantic-comedy. Also Kaito Ishikawa voicing the main guy.

Nar Doma: I'm not going to pretend there's anything attracting me to this other than the promise of BL, because there isn't

May check out (if they receive some massively positive response in the Preview Guide and its corresponding thread)

Hibike Euphonium: Your Lie in April has left me a little disenchanted with music anime, and I'm not feeling particularly enthusiastic about CGDCT + teenage music melodrama, but I'll check it out if I hear good things about it, because in principle I love music anime.

Ore Monogatari: This sounds cute and original, it would probably be on my front-runner list if the season wasn't so busy.

Unsurel (sound just remotely interesting, I'm willing to give them a try if other shows I picked turn out a disappointment and/or they receive extremely good responses)

Re-Kan: Main character looks cute, sounds like Natsume Yuujinchou.

Lupin III: Only if it's closer to Fujiko Mine than to Castle of Cagliostro

Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan: The onesided(?) Nagato/Kyon romance was easily my least favorite part of the otherwise brilliant Disappearance movie, but it is the only Haruhi related stuff we've gotten in a while... I'll think about it

Vampire Holmes: Sounds terrible in every possible way. For some reason I still feel inclined to check it out.

Yamadakun to Nananin no Majo: The fact that it's a harem is already a strike against it, but the cast looks colorful and I tend to enjoy witchcraft stories (although Witch Craft Works... ugh). Maybe if everything goes wrong.

Weellllll... that's a long list. It's a good thing that most of the stuff I'm watching is finishing (even though I don't really want Yona or Garo to end, they're so amazing), otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep up. Of continuing series I'll only have KuroBas, AssClass, JoJo, Fairy Tail and Crystal (does anyone know if Seven Deadly Sins is continuing? Because it's wickedly fantastic), so I'll have plenty of room left for all the new stuff
Gamlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I've got lots of stuff that I'm looking forward to for Spring Season, I'm actually worried I won't have enough time for everything.

Definitely watching:

As always, the sequels: Saint Seiya Soul of Gold (this is probably the series I'm more hyped about!), Digimon tri (please Toei, don't pull a Crystal on us),

I'm sure tri is gonna pull another Crystal again...

{Edit: I edited your post due to our rules on Over Quoting. ~ Psycho 101}
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
finally took a moment to look at spring. something like 48 new shows for the new season. for starters, I'm going to keep watching Aikatsu!, Ace of the Diamond, World Trigger, Assassination Classroom, Fairy Tail, and for reasons I can't fully comprehend, Sailor Moon Crystal

Shows I'm certain I will be watching/trying:
OreGairu 2: loved the first season, and it will be fun seeing how snarky 8Man will get
High School DxD BorN:One of the he shows I'm looking forward to the most this season.
FSN:UBW part 2:Should be fun. looking forward to more battles
Uta no Prince-Sama season 3: this show is goofy and it's fun
Baby Steps 2: gets a little tedious at times, but I like where it's going
Kiniro Mosaic 2: first season started out strong, but my enthusiasm wore off the further along it got. I'll at least try the second season
Knights of Sidonia 2: Fantastic SciFi series. really looking forward to this
Grisaiafirst season was a bit disappointing due to trying to compress everyone routes into 13 episodes. Still, liked it enough to keep going
Nisekoi: Really didn't think they could drag something so simple into the ground, but it could still be amusing. I'll at least try it
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVidI like this franchise, especially StrikerS, and Vivio is adorable.
Disappearance of Yuki Nagato.: I like this version of Yuki the most
Food WarsI like food, and this sounds awesome.
Seraph of the End: premise sounds neat
Plastic Memories: Dogakobo is doing an original series. more than enough for me
Sound! Euphonium: I've liked most of KyoAni's shows. I also played brass instrument in middle school, so this has my interest
Ore Monogatari: this sounds funny, and rooting for a guy like Gouda could be fun
Punchline: this sounds ridiculous, and could be extremely stupid. But it could also be fun, so I will definitely be trying it
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches: I like the recent OVA, and the body swapping could make this very funny
Is It wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?: so, this is another magical-fantasy-action-harem anime based on a light novel with a Yoshitsugu Matsuoka main character. One of them turned out to be really good this winter and the staff for this show makes me hopeful it will turn out well
Denpa Kyoshi: This kind sounds a bit like GTO, which I liked, and it sounds funny
Gunslinger Statos: Looks like it could be cool
Blood Blockade Battlefront: it's by the guy who gave us Trigun, and Bones is animating it. could be a blast
Show By Rock: battle of bands sounds neat
Triage X: Don't like that Akio Tamaki stuck with his usual character designs for this, but I'm up for some mindless entertainment
Ninja Slayer:Over the top Ninja action by Trigger sounds exciting

Uncertain
Re-Kan: Sounds a bit dull
Vampire Holmes: As does this. detective stories are neat, but the main character sounds like he'd be annoying
Kyokai no Rinne: Nothing's really catching my attention
Arslan Senki: need to give this a little more thought
Mikagure School Suite: Cultural clubs doing battle to secure club funding. Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure
Houkago no Pleiades: Car company Subaru is backing a show. sounds neat, but magical girl show
EtotamaCat trying to become a part of the the Zodiac. could be interesting
Lupin the only part of this franchise I've seen is the relatively recent Fujiko Mine. I liked it so I'm thinking of trying this

Wow, so that's 26 new shows I know I will be trying this season, for a total of 32, for now.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
I will check out Arslan Senki out of curiosity. The rest I will see, something may catch me attention. I don't intend to continue to watch Fate/Stay Night: UBW as the first part bored with its pretentiousness and glacial pace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1