• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Endlessly Searching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
I think the best way to keep that long running anime is to split them in 1 or 2-cour arcs with some months or even a year between a new arc and avoid the fillers.

For a license perspective is more easy to license a 13 to 26 episode season. This avoid licensing a 200+ episode anime with all the danger of the fans lost interest and last discs not sale like the firsts.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
In addition to losing those normal "waking hours" timeslots

There's certainly little to no interest in allotting additional day or evening timeslots to anime, but how many has it actually lost? You keep asserting that there's been a significant contraction, but you have yet to even name a year or so much as a general era for the sake of confirmation, let alone cited any data yourself. I've investigated a few random years out of the past twenty, during much of which the late-night market has grown substantially, but so far there's been no indication of anything more severe than late afternoon/early evening anime on the weekends migrating an hour or two later on the schedule.

It would be nice if you would at least point me to which year or range of years there were a higher number of anime airing in the day and evening than have been recently, so that I could verify the accuracy of such claims without having to compile, analyze, and compare data from every single year from roughly the past two decades. Obviously the proportion of day/evening anime to late-night ones has changed, but that appears to be a failure of the former to gain as many timeslots, not evidence that it has actually lost any. Perhaps it has, but I prefer to confirm such things for myself.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So long as they don't go overboard too. Used to be, about 200 eps is the most people could tolerate. Ranma 162 eps, Urusei Yatsura 200, Sailor Moon 200. Unless it's episodic enough like Detective Conan. Longest was DB/DBZ, but that one ya could miss a few eps here and there yet still get caught up without being lost. That is, until the serial the likes of Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece blew that up. Fans hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, apart from Folktales From Japan (wow, that's still going on! Shocked ), nowadays seems like shonen serial fight is the only genre that goes past 200 episodes.
Used to be, American licensors were scared off by Doraemon after being told it "ran for thirty years" (off and on), but now the companies are jumping at the chance to license any endless, endless goofy serial-fight Fairy Tail or Magi that has a chance at being licensed to Cartoon Network...Which pretty much only airs serial-fight series now anyway.

(And yet, when the issue of relicensing UY after Ranma comes up, ten bucks says we'll still get "Eww, that show was 197 episodes--That's almost 200!")
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
An exception to the 100+ ep. series in that it has had success here would be Hetalia.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So basically, for more long-running anime to return, they have to be less dependent on disc sales. Unfortunately not many new titles could do that.

Space Brothers is the only show I can think of from the past few years that qualifies. It did pretty well in the ratings, reaching 4-5% of the audience, especially after it moved to late Saturday afternoons. However it also had a fairly popular manga to support the franchise and a live-action movie as well.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
In addition to losing those normal "waking hours" timeslots

There's certainly little to no interest in allotting additional day or evening timeslots to anime, but how many has it actually lost? You keep asserting that there's been a significant contraction, but you have yet to even name a year or so much as a general era for the sake of confirmation, let alone cited any data yourself. I've investigated a few random years out of the past twenty, during much of which the late-night market has grown substantially, but so far there's been no indication of anything more severe than late afternoon/early evening anime on the weekends migrating an hour or two later on the schedule.

It would be nice if you would at least point me to which year or range of years there were a higher number of anime airing in the day and evening than have been recently, so that I could verify the accuracy of such claims without having to compile, analyze, and compare data from every single year from roughly the past two decades. Obviously the proportion of day/evening anime to late-night ones has changed, but that appears to be a failure of the former to gain as many timeslots, not evidence that it has actually lost any. Perhaps it has, but I prefer to confirm such things for myself.

I would like to know myself with some numbers. I see more and more long running franchises popping up. Jewelpet premiered in 2009 and has 310+ episodes under it's belt if you add up all the different series. Ditto for Battle Spirits, Duel Masters, Pretty Cure, and lots of other popular series. The only difference between now and then seem to be more shows follow the Super Sentai/Kamen Rider route of changing the cast every year so as to keep the show fresh. In some cases, like Yu-Gi-Oh, they usually run for 3-4 years before changing the cast. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of long running anime franchises out there. The only main difference is they're all original properties these days rather than being based off of manga.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:

Somebody in the newsgroups compiled data from around the turn of the century to about a decade later (looking for it atm), but IIRC the data didn't include late-night timeslots (mainly primetime since he didn't have satellite when he was there).
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
The first [Hunter x Hunter] bombed because it was an incomplete 1999 anime released in 2008 during the anime bust years and financial recession. It hardly had any exposure and a sub-par dub didn't exactly help its case.

It also didn't help that Viz never bothered to tell anyone about any music rights problems that led to them cutting the second opening & second and third endings from the episodes in those sets. It may be a minor thing with some but this was at the same time that similar problems happened with NANA & Monster and we know what happened with the latter series.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
(And yet, when the issue of relicensing UY after Ranma comes up, ten bucks says we'll still get "Eww, that show was 197 episodes--That's almost 200!")

Urusei Yatsura is a 200 episode show from 35 years ago, and a pretty niche one at that. And it doesn't have a completed dub. Does anyone seriously think Viz (or anyone really) would attempt to release that on Blu-ray? And I'm a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan.

Maison Ikkoku on the other hand MIGHT have a slim chance since it's only about 100 episodes, has a small (but passionate) cult following, less old, and is fully dubbed. Also, it gets asked about a LOT more. I could maybe see a Kickstarter funded release.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, there are plenty of downsides to short series. The stories can't be as sprawling and epic and as involving. You don't fall in love as deeply with characters when you're not around them that long.

Maybe that's true for action-oriented and/or story-driven anime, but the cute girls slice-of-life shows I enjoy, like Strawberry Marshmallow, Non Non Biyori, K-On! (1st season), and Minami-ke (1st season) manage to make you care about the characters in just 12 to 16 episodes (and Minami-ke in particular has a lot of supporting characters to get acquainted with), though, granted, there's usually no heavy overarching story to get in the way of the cute character moments and one's interest in these kinds of shows is almost entirely dependent on whether or not you care about the characters' individual quirks.

Kamichu! would be an example of a single-cour show I love that at least attempts a modicum of story beyond just the day-to-day trials and travails of school and home life, although the story-driven episodes are single episode affairs and nothing too heavy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Urusei Yatsura is a 200 episode show from 35 years ago, and a pretty niche one at that. And it doesn't have a completed dub. Does anyone seriously think Viz (or anyone really) would attempt to release that on Blu-ray? And I'm a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan.

Maison Ikkoku on the other hand MIGHT have a slim chance since it's only about 100 episodes, has a small (but passionate) cult following, less old, and is fully dubbed. Also, it gets asked about a LOT more. I could maybe see a Kickstarter funded release.

UY (at least, like Ranma, once it gets past the crappy manga-dragging first season) has the same addictive power it once had when it was a generation's first "anime drug"--It's just that both the Japanese and the "new generation" of anime-raised kids (who associate anything Takahashi with "From the creator of InuYasha") that have snubbed it into an eww-that-so-80's,-why-does-it-not-like-die ghetto.
But like Ranma's slapstick farce being rediscovered, UY still has the trippy improvisatory geek-ref quality the writers and animators later brought to the first Project A-Ko movie, and Lum was, and is, the Hatsune Miku of her day. Anime smile

Also, like Sailor Moon, there is a feeling that the new boxset system can race through what it once took AnimEigo years to complete (they never picked up until they started doing the 5-disk-@4-ep. boxes), and a sense of industry completism at seeing it finally get a "real" dub after all these many years. Something the distinctly UY-influenced Sgt. Frog would have been lucky to get.
Now, if only it wasn't the Maison-loathing Viz... Sad
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Yes, and it'll be hard to release all 197 episodes on Blu-ray. So the only option is to stream the anime on CR, Hulu, etc... as the only way. There's no way the 197 episodes of Urusei Yatsura would sell well on Blu-ray/DVDs in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
@mdo7
Urusei Yatsura has already been released on DVD in the US. The whole thing, TV episodes, OVAs and movies. The license has expired but the disks are out there. The only thing required would be a Bluray release. I agree it is unlikely, but I would double dip for it. I suspect that streaming is even more unlikely than a Bluray release.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Urusei Yatsura has already been released on DVD in the US. The whole thing, TV episodes, OVAs and movies. The license has expired but the disks are out there. The only thing required would be a Bluray release. I agree it is unlikely, but I would double dip for it. I suspect that streaming is even more unlikely than a Bluray release.

Yes I know it was released on DVDs in the US back then. But now it is out of print (and I don't think no US companies has the license for the anime anymore) and as I said: trying to release the show on blu-rays today would be pointless because it wouldn't sell in the US (and it's not a mainstream/household anime titles in the US unlike Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2). So that's why streaming on Hulu, CR, Netflix, etc... will have to be the only option for that show (if the show ever get picked up in the future).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yes I know it was released on DVDs in the US back then. But now it is out of print (and I don't think no US companies has the license for the anime anymore) and as I said: trying to release the show on blu-rays today would be pointless because it wouldn't sell in the US (and it's not a mainstream/household anime titles in the US unlike Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2). So that's why streaming on Hulu, CR, Netflix, etc... will have to be the only option for that show.

More accurately, it would suffer the same fate as Sailor Moon, another videotape-master show that was a disaster when cooked up to Blu-ray, but did survive very nicely in its own slightly color-tweaked resolution on DVD in the boxset era.

Touching back on the main topic, it's surprising just how much the boxset mentality that emerged from the 00's bubble has changed our 90's concept of anime release schedules: It's been two years, and Viz has gone through one entire series of Moon, has the R series ready to go, AND has the last S7 of Ranma 1/2 up for pre-order...How long did it take in the original generation's day?
(Moon, of course, took slightly longer for Viz, because they had to spend a few months making up a new dub, something that was beyond the power of Robert Woodhead's garage for several years on UY. Not to mention, AnimEigo spending years trying to figure out Lum's dub voice, which seems a bit of a no-brainer today, once they finally got the movies dubbed.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7