• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Thanks.

Author is still alive -- and not even old -- so, theoretically, he can come up with a continuation? Yes, most of related to the concept themes were already explored, so it might be unnecessary, but author seems to be smart enough to be able to come up with something intricate and not repetitive with this Parasyte thing. No chances for that, maybe he has hinted something in interviews?

I am interested because most of anime is so much worse than this. I would trade maybe a dozen or more of regular anime titles for project of quality like this one. Give-me-give-me-give-me, I-want-I-want-I-want-I-want to see really good anime like this. I am starving for more of better anime like this one.

Parasyte is the 3rd in a catalogue of eight works, original print run from 1990-1995. Author born in 1960 so hopefully a decade or two more of output from him for the foreseeable future.

Sequel? If he wanted to, it would have been created and published years ago. The series has influenced many others and independent 1-shot tributes have been published but there's zero intention for a sequel. As such, this series is very unusual in how late a media adaptation was planned for it. Along with his current work, Parasyte is the only other in his catalogue which has won awards.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Hopefully producers will find more good manga from 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s to adapt.

Of course, both manga publishers and toy manufacturers always press to come up with anime based on current works, but most of it is mediocre, while some of great old manga did not get adaptation.

This Parasyte anime gives higher chances for that.

Also, did 5-10% difference between manga and anime also have anything to do with penis jokes? I read manga had it. If so, then it is a negative since this would be another case of fake morals causing useless censorship.

(By the way, when I have watched the first episodes, I thought that it is kind of creepy that alien became to be right hand of right-handed person. Giving yourself pleasure knowing that your right hand is something else and it talks is weird.)
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Most notably, the Murano character was a highly frustrating character. For almost the entire series, she seems to somehow stay in the dark about this whole parasyte thing spoiler[but then suddenly appears to "get it" all in the last moments of the finale.] That was a bad writing decision. It meant that she was an annoying "tag-along" character for the whole series spoiler[(she even seems to acknowledge it at the end by saying she's been playing "catch up" to Shinichi the whole time)]. These types of characters generally serve as convenient victims and hostages for the bad guys, such as spoiler[what happened here with Uragami.] They also rarely contribute anything useful to progressing the plot, and serve as mindless sounding-boards for the protagonist. For most of the show Murano fit that archetype perfectly. I think they could have made her a much more interesting character by letting her be shown to be actively figuring things out and either doing things behind the scenes to help Shinichi or being a confidant for him.

I agree that Murano was not that interesting. That's one of the reasons why I prefer Hitoshi Iwaaki's current work Historie. At least there the main character has a girlfriend who is his intellectual equal. I hope that Parasyte will sell well, so Historie will get an anime too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 26 of 26