• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kantai Collection -Kan Colle- (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Did those planes that were not bombers spoiler[actually kamikaze, the ones that I think were sea planes or something]?

The ones Mogami launched? spoiler[They didn't. They dropped bombs, but I see why one might think they kamikazed.]

I did check a scene of the battle earlier in the episode and proved spoiler[there were bombs by pausing, that hit from one plane]. But then we saw a different kind of plane and there was spoiler[no evidence that plane used bombs when there were explosions].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
These ones, right?

http://i.imgur.com/4n3JnT6.jpg

They were launched by Mogami to attack the one Wo-class. Notice the bombs underneith. While you do need to go frame by frame to catch it, you can see that the Wo-class did get hit by bombs.

http://i.imgur.com/5CnUZnM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ayUJFa6.jpg
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kan Colle ended up quite the disappointment for me, even though from early on it seemed it would be little more than a product marketing exercise. All the way through I was hoping it would push through its marketing constraints to give us something emotionally engaging. It didn't have to be a "moe-blob massacre", as someone put it, but I wish it could have been more adventurous.

It had two things that I enjoyed. First, for a model battleship builder like me it was a lot of fun spotting the ships and noting how the actual ships' features were carried over into the designs of the characters. The brazen tranformation of deadly war machines (and the Japanese WW2 ships were, imo, the most brutal looking warships ever built) into moe girls never failed to amuse. The series succeeded for me on a comedic level in a away I'm not sure was fully intended by the makers.

Second, and sort of related, as someone who has read widely on the naval battles of WW2, it was interesting analysing how the writers used and interpolated from the actual battles of that war. As the series progressed the screen events diverged more and more from history but it still used historical events in the plot. Even with the most wild departure - the Battle of Midway - some of the key moments of the anime battle paralleled the historical battle.*

Apart from the predictable and timid plot the other big disappointment was the feeble depiction of the characters. Indeed, predictable and timid could also be used for their charactisation. They were bland even by moe standards. They were nothings, ciphers, with faces and bodies and personalities I've seen many times elswhere (except in RL). The only notable thing about them was, as already mentioned, how the ship features were built into their designs. I didn't care a fig about them so, for me, there was no sense of danger in their battles. Quite the reverse, I was perversely hoping for them to be sunk, simply for entertainment. ("Wow! Look how this one went down.")

And, yeah, the plot flubbed it. From the moment Akagi was saved I knew the last chance Kan Colle had of going somewhere interesting was irretrievably gone. From that point I was fully expecting Kisaragi to come up from the depths to help save the day. In hindsight that sort of timidity was typical of the series. The show could have been so much better if it had gone the Evangelion/PMMM route with a "war is hell" ordeal for the characters but, alas, it wasn't to be. I suppose the production committee didn't want to alienate the fans of the various characters.

===

* In the real life battle Chuichi Nagumo was the admiral of the carrier task force (Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu) attacking Midway Island, under the overall command of Isoruku Yamamoto in the battleships over 400 km away. The immediate objective was to capture Midway Island, deemed by Japanese to be so threatening to Hawaii that the Americans would have no choice but to try to recapture it by sending their own carrier force. The overarching Japanese strategic objective was to destroy the American carriers. The wrinkle was that the Americans knew the Japanese were coming and had their three carriers waiting to pounce (Enterprise, Hornet, Yorktown).

Nagumo proceeded to attack Midway Island. As evidence began to mount that the Americans had carriers in the vicinity he lost sight of the overall objective - the destruction of those carriers. He maintained his intention to send his forces to attack the, unsinkable, island. Too late he realised his error. Worse, he finally changed his mind just as his carriers had fuelled and loaded the bombers for another attack on the island. He ordered that the bombs be replaced for ship-appropriate attacks. In their haste the crews left the bombs and fuel lines on the carrier decks. Worse still, the carriers had just been attacked by torpedo bombers so all the defending Zeros were at sea level. Just at that moment the American dive bombers arrived and the rest is history. Nagumo's vacillation and failure to grasp the bigger picture are seen as just as central to the outcome of the battle as the fortunate conjunction of the torpedo bomber and dive bomber attacks by the Americans.

The last episode pays lip service to that moment. In this scenario, though, the Japanese realise there are three enemy carriers and that they are the primary target. Typical of the show, the portrayal isn't at all convincing.

(Edit: I just read the terrific posts from a few pages back. They make my last three paragraphs redundant.)

Last edited by Errinundra on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The show could have been so much better if it had gone the Evangelion/PMMM route with a "war is hell" ordeal for the characters but, alas, it wasn't to be. I suppose the production committee didn't want to alienate the fans of the various characters.

Now that would've been something. But yeah, I don't think Kancolle's fanbase would stand for it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
well, that wasn't too disappointing. Finally got some awesome naval combat, which is pretty much the only reason I watched this in the first place. shame it took the whole show to get that.

I eagerly await the day World of Warships goes into Open Beta, and I can play the Japanese Battleship tech tree. the game looks awesome and I'd love to be able to play the Yamato
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 6 episodes of this. It's basically Strike Witches 3: Naval Operations. The structure of these military Otaku shows also have been already standardized as well (with the slice of life episode, the erotic bath scenes, etc). Very Happy

errinundra wrote:
The brazen tranformation of deadly war machines (and the Japanese WW2 ships were, imo, the most brutal looking warships ever built) into moe girls never failed to amuse. The series succeeded for me on a comedic level in a away I'm not sure was fully intended by the makers.

This happens to me in many anime/manga titles. Specially elements of this military moe genre. Girlz und Panzer is the best show I watched that incorporates military elements because it knows that itself is pure comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
snip - but interesting post

I think the big problem I had with the final episode is that it wasn't an intelligent way to subvert the ending of the Battle of Midway. For a show that has prided itself on following historic orders of battle, having the entire fleet show up for a big smackdown just felt like a cop-out.

There must have been a better way to do it. Perhaps Akagi realising that launching the second attack on Midway Island was a mistake and holding back her planes so she could intercept the attack by the enemy carriers? That might have had a touch more historical credibility.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching it, it was entertaining but essentially bland show, writing was completely derivative and the CGI wasn't well integrated with the hand drawn animation (a recurring problem in modern anime).

Rogueywon wrote:
errinundra wrote:
snip - but interesting post

I think the big problem I had with the final episode is that it wasn't an intelligent way to subvert the ending of the Battle of Midway. For a show that has prided itself on following historic orders of battle, having the entire fleet show up for a big smackdown just felt like a cop-out.

Perhaps but given the way the orders of battle were represented (i.e. moe girls) I guess the lack of historical accuracy is rather fitting. Also, they had to use the Yamato at some point, right? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
It was announced earlier in the Yokohama Naval Review that Kancolle won't be getting a second season but rather a film instead in 2016.

Pretty darn excited for this after playing World of Warships and of course Kancolle over the past few months. I think it's probably the best decision rather than another 12 episodes.

Edit:

Apparently it was confirmed on twitter that there will also be a second season and that the movie is a seperate project. Even more excited now!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
PV for the movie is out. Doesn't reveal much other than that spoiler[Mutsuki gets her upgrade.]

Always good to see a movie that actually continues the story rather than just a recap.

Just hope we'll be able to watch it before the second season starts.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
Saw it last week and i'm pretty darn excited for it.

There's nothing to say that it's going to continue the plot. More than likely it'll be an original story set after the first season but you never know.

The PV did a good job of showing off some of the Kai Ni ships, such as Choukai, Furutaka and Kako. I didn't see Tenryuű but it would be criminal to leave her out, fufu. (Think I see her shadow at the end though.)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
There's nothing to say that it's going to continue the plot. More than likely it'll be an original story set after the first season but you never know.

The franchise only has one plot to speak of so that's really all it has to work with.

My point was that it's an actual sequel and not a recap movie. Plenty of other series get movie announcements but they end up just being a condensed version of the TV show (see Euphonium's upcoming movie).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The two best girls are still nowhere in sight. I need Musashi and Tenryuu around for me to care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13