• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Reconguista in G (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, episode 10 was rapid.

spoiler[War leaders discuss if the threat from space is bad. The Amerian president launches his space fleet, to either liberate the solar ring or attack the Luna. New Mobile suits with really dumb pilots for the Capital Army were introduced. The Holiness doesn't seem to be really knowledgeable what's going on is very strained. Colonel of Research seems to be really the guy in charge.

With everyone rushing into space, maybe we'll get something going on. ]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Question: Is anyone caring or watching the show.

I know alot people personally I know who gave up on it. I'm sticking with it, hoping the plot thickens. With events of episode 10, sounds like they're going go somewhere finally.

Dialog between the characters problem is bad, but I think there a good show worth salvaging under neither this problem(s).
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching it still. The comedy is refreshing while the battles are okayish (not as good as Gundam Build Fighters though this season). Yeah, I think the show is a bit slow though with the way it's progressing but it seems like it's picking up a bit now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Question: Is anyone caring or watching the show.

I know alot people personally I know who gave up on it. I'm sticking with it, hoping the plot thickens. With events of episode 10, sounds like they're going go somewhere finally.

Dialog between the characters problem is bad, but I think there a good show worth salvaging under neither this problem(s).

I don't know, I've certainly stopped really caring about the threads and peoples dumb opinions about the show, but I'm still watching and enjoying the show itself plenty.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 - Orbital fights, Prelude to the big showdown (we hope)

spoiler[Holy crap, its time to duel. Everyone racing to occupy the top of the Capital Tower and the Amerians succeed in doing so quietly occupy it after fending off Capital Army's attempt to interrupt the invasion. The four leading figures of the show, Director-General, Bellri's Mom, the Pope and Colonel Crump (spacenoid in disguise) argue the folly of taking the Tower and ignoring the ancient warnings of bad things happening. Then on que, an Amerian Warship near the Port explodes. Everyone agass on what happening, we pan out to fleet of warships coming from the Moon. Previews show spacenoids (Lunarians?) confront everyone in the Chapel or Communication Room. I suspect the bigger thing going on.

Without knowing anything from any source from speculation, I do suspect that some ancient treaty has been broken with bring of warships to the port. I suspect the Spacenoids are the source of the Proton Batteries. The religion of the Capital Tower is SD Accords? Isn't that in way saying Accords to a treaty? I'm ignoring bad dialog for the most part watching the show for what it is. Fun action and drama. Even dialog isn't that great.]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

spoiler[Wow, it's been while anyone posted. Things are finally moving along now. What have we learned? Bellri and Aida Surgan are broth and sister of lost Towasanga royal family after a coup. Venus Globe is a artificial space structure which source of the Proton Batteries for both Earth and the Moon colonies. From here we get see rings of oceans, which everyone lives. Techs here are the ones resurrecting Universal Century technology, with the discovery of G Lucifer by the crew of the Megafuna. Battle between the renegades reveals to audience (not the crew of the Megafuna) that these folks are trying escape and do their own Reconguista (aka invasion like Luna) to Earth. Near Fatal damage inflicted to habitat that Bellri and others were fighting is averted thankfully by one of rebels by ramming their mobile armor into the hole. We meet the leadership of this particular colony and discover that they've kept hidden mutation of some of the colonist. One effects is slow-aging.]

My Thoughts
spoiler[
Interesting stuff, do we get to a over-arching conclusion to solve the waring factions problems? I think reconnecting the factions to talk settle differences is where the series is heading. Not before we get big fight or two between some aggressive elements.]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

spoiler[Moving along with the plot, seems groups of people some how have same idea; space sucks, we want Earth, Reconguista time! Conqueror Earth, genocide current population, go. It's something odd, with this. Colonel Crump is former Venus based citizen wanted to toughen up Earthnoids thus international war between Europe and Amerina. The Crescent ship is speeding back from Venus Globe with Megafauana to stop the Full Moon's group trying take planet while the space Pope is held hostage by the Amerians and Capital Army has taken control of most of the Capital Tower.]

My Thoughts
spoiler[
Least picture is getting clearer on the plot. Multiple space based factions wanting homestead due to conditions in colonies growing worse. Venus been holding on and keeping hidden the higher technology due to misuse by humanity. Some how the Megafauana crew has transitioned partially as trouble shooters try stop the conflict, with multinational crew force. With defection of Mask's hidden love with new mobile armor from Venus, balance of Capital Army's Mask force going tip scales. I think Aide and Bellri going end up play peacemaker in the end. Given that Bellri's new Prefect Pack has Turn-A style kill'em all abilities call the Photon Torpedeos among other weapons surprises. ]

What do you guys/gals think?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a thing that happened. What did happen anyways? In the long run, I mean. Nothing really was accomplished. Sure, some bad people got killed but the world situation didn't change any, at least not what we're told. spoiler[Captial Tower assumedly still has the monopoly on Photon Battery distribution but perhaps the Cresent Ship will deliver them straight to Earth rather than go through Towasanga. Aida and the pirates can't seem to decide if they're still a part of Ameria anymore and they kill the president for the lulz.
]

There's actually a lot of actions without consequence like that. People do some bad stuff but no one around seems to care. Manny runs off with a giant mobile armor but no one seems to notice. That blonde chick that sold them out to the G-IT corps spoiler[hangs out with everyone in the end like it didn't happen... And she has the body of a child now. The hell?] Bellri and co dock their ship at Towasanga and hook up with some rebels but the government does nothing about them. The Ameria and Capital armies are constantly fighting but Towasanga doesn't just boot them out. The Megafauna just lands on the Cresent Ship but no one on the Cresent Ship goes "Hey! Bugger off! We ain't a taxi service!" Raraiya spoiler[kills a ship load of Amerias but Aida doesn't give a damn.
]

There's a long list of things I could go on about, but in general it was a mess. Conversations jumped from one topic to another with no transitions or sense of flow. Characters seem to change their opinion back and forth mid conversation, almost as if Tomino never specified who was supposed to be talking in the script and the staff just assigned characters to lines. It's like everyone has ADHD. Previously unestablished character traits pop out of nowhere with no build up, for example Raraiya's sudden stereotypical hate on for adults this episode.

I didn't feel very strongly towards any of these characters, though I did feel a bit sad when Gushion died and I was happy Willmit spoiler[didn't join the ranks of dead Gundam parents.
]

There were some interesting ideas here, but they were so buried under random silliness and convoluted dialogue they're hard to notice. The show simply failed to make me want to put the extra effort in to dig them up. Not that any of them really get fleshed out very much. The trip to Venus in particular felt especially pointless and could have been cut entirely. We learn the president is over 200 years old and that the Venus Globe was built to move the Earth to another solar system but they're just toss away mentions that added nothing.

A lot of these issues are pretty typical with Tomino, but the compressed length really kicks it into Trans-Am. I still think F91 is pretty good so I know Tomino is able to compress many episodes worth of ideas into a shorter time, but with G-Reco is feels like he refused to cut out anything. As a writer I know it sucks to have to remove ideas you want to explore, but sometimes you have to so it doesn't drag down the quality of the product.

I don't say this lightly, but I can assert with complete conviction that I think this is the worst installment of the franchise. This is mostly related to construction rather than content, though. I don't have much of a problem with what was presented, but how it was presented.

I know I'm being hard on it, but did I hate it? No, I didn't. It didn't make me angry, instead it's blunders made me laugh. I did have to turn off my brain while watching, though, otherwise I'd constantly be asking "Why?"

There were lots of pretty lights and I do appreciate the overall colourful atmosphere. I did think a lot of the mech designs were cool and I like watching them fight, althought this series definitely tops SEED in the "suits introduced only to push toys" department. New suits constantly come out of nowhere and are often swiftly replaced.

To end things on a positive note, I think I still like it more than Zeta Gundam Laughing
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
Most of those things are caused by new and unexperienced military concepts in the world of this series.

Also, it was a considerable good anime. Not perfect, but the best Gundam series since Turn A.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I think this is mix of good and bad.

Good: Excellent if not unique animation. Good character (image) design, interesting style.
Bad: Story Telling, dialog, continuum problems, unexplained character reactions.

The Last Episode:
spoiler[
The ending seemed jumbled if not rushed. Bellri's allies arrive after the reentry battle. Amerians last's move to try take the Capital Tower is stopped by the survivors of the orbital battle and Bellri's forces. Captain Mask's combined forces and his allies with G-IT seem directionless. G-IT corp want just to land and has not clue where to go, when they original talked about Reconguista (Conquest) of Earth. Mask is enraged that Bellri's advantages of being noble blood of Luna descent seemed to be stupid jealousy excuse to kill, not necessary fighting for the rights for "newtypes" by different name. Only nice touch aside from flashy fighting battle was revisiting Jaburo (least suggesting it). Unexpected days later, people who were enemies killing one another and now friends or at peace seem to completely unexplained. Perhaps it was felt that would be boring to try have scene with this. There must be more than episode worth of material missing.]

Personally I don't know what Yoshiyuki Tomino was trying to accomplished. To show how anime was done? Tell story and "forced" add Gundam to it? It was not master piece it was a jumbled mess. This properly the only time i would say, i look forward to English dub to perhaps sort it out make sense out of it if not better dialog between characters. The interview with him recently was about attitude toward people, saying "hey, if your smart you know what's going on." That's bad for writer/director. Bandai should not have him do more projects if he going make something so like this when you compare it to Gundam Unicorn in comparison. Gundam Build Fighters and it's sequel Try's had a better put together story then G-Reco. Was there feud going on behind the scenes in production to have things come out like this?

I hope that Origin and whatever Gundam series that comes next can do better job than this one did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4