• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
A+ here but DDR 2 is a B-? Confused This whole series would have been so fun in the hands of Madhouse or IG but you got the chinese knock off version it seems and my positive opinion on the manga can be found on page 1 if someone cares.
I further looked at the show through a picture blog only after ep.1 with a few scenes here and there to check. A friend watched it too so i know what they pulled and am not amused. I further feel that it is safe to say that this one is more of a cluster fudge then seoson 1 as it went even more of the board to then randomly return to the source so i am not even sure who this is for. A 5/10 (so so) is my rating for √A and it looks far better in the picture format (Naruto anyone?) then it does in motion. Expect nothing form the Jack OVA as the manga is surprisingly lame here too but the OG franchise is as fun as ever. Read that.
Don´t let Pierot touch or treasured series is my takeaway for the future as unimpressive publicity on a midnight slot is just that.
Maybe someone will do a Penisman webshow or something.
Edit: They are now teasing a RE adaptation too. Why?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashlla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Dont let this guy review anything else. Inaccurate, pretends his speculation is fact, and unprofessional.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashlla wrote:
don't let this guy review anything else. Inaccurate, pretends his speculation is fact, and unprofessional.

First, Hope's a woman. Second, not agreeing with her opinion does not make her unprofessional. Just makes you two different.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ashlla wrote:
don't let this guy review anything else. Inaccurate, pretends his speculation is fact, and unprofessional.

Uh, are you talking about residentgrigo above, or the reviewer?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode #12:

Well, Hope Chapman certainly analyzed the episode (and summarized the show) in a much-more depth and in a metaphorical viewpoint than I did, or have could, and has caused me to rethink some of the opinions I had about some scenes of this episode.

Overall, the ending was both annoying and annoyingly-refreshing at the same time. Annoying because it felt like a bait for a continuation (3rd season, OVAs, movie), with the final 4-or-so minutes being dedicated just to create that "To Be Continued" atmosphere.

On the other hand, the annoyingly-refreshing part was that, while I think that the opinion I presented in the above paragraph is true (for me, as least), it also feels that, like Hope Chapman wrote in the Review...

Tokyo Ghoul √A's Episode #12 Review wrote:
The episode ends contrasting the isolated dead-end survival of Arima with Touka's warm and promising future. (Both of these final images offer contrasting possibilities for Kaneki's fate as well. The closeup of a lone Arima's white hair implies Kaneki's death, while the wide shot of Touka looking down the street implies his survival, and in both cases the same gentle breeze is blowing.) This contrast would have played a lot better if we had gotten to know Arima as a character more, but I got what they were going for, and I can respect that.

...meaning that the ambiguous feeling just fits with the preceding scenes, and creating the feeling that the series wasn't meant to have an "absolute finale", but more of a Slice-of-Life finale - of life continues forward, uncertain, and at times unwavering, despite (or because) of the losses.

In general, I agree with the viewpoint presented in the Review that the series wasn't the crème de la crème of this season, but all things considered, it ended about as strong as it could.

Ashlla wrote:

Only bashing a poster (for it is unclear to whom you directed your post) without offering explanation or counterpoints to the claims/views stated in the post you aimed at actually backfires on you, and makes you appear as inaccurate, or at least as baseless.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
That 112-second Pietà-inspired shot is fantastic; the image, initially cliché, gathers more and more power as the shot continues past the insert song, past the choppers, and into complete silence.

I'm wondering if anyone can come up with a longer shot in TV anime—this beats out everything I can think of. It's a huge chunk of time to spend on a single cut.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked and didn't like this last episode. Mostly for its open endedness (One Eyed Owl still alive, the unknown whereabouts of the rest of Anteiku, in fact the unknown whereabouts of pretty much every character we've been introduced to from the series beginnings) and I always hate not knowing whether a character has lived or died. i.e. Kaneki. For me I always want to visually see the characters fate instead of that mysterious is he alive? is he dead? scenario. (Although I do know Kaneki's outcome from the manga)
If a continuation is announced my hates would be all erased because although what I thought would be an unleashing of action turned into a very sweet and heartfelt episode. Kaneki's long walk through the CCG soldiers with Season 1's quieter opener playing in the background just emphasised how far Kaneki had come and his cycle from humanity to the rejection of his humanity and then coming back round again to its start.

Now it's out with the ghouls and in with the vampires as I gear up for Seraph of the End.
B00m23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I don't think Hide is dead, at least as far as the manga is concerned. First of all, there was no corpse left behind after He and Kaneki had their talk before the fight with Arima; does Ishida not make a point to show a corpse every time an important character dies? Second, Hide has a tarot. The fact that he was assigned a tarot, as well as his overall importance to the narrative, leads me to believe that he will make a return at some point in Re. ]
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this ending. On one hand I like its suspense, themes, and animation, on the other hand I was bored. I get that the whole "Kaneki walking towards CCG scene" was supposed to be suspenseful and hold something meaningful, but the whole two minutes I was thinking, "Hurry up and walk faster, god damn it." I haven't seen someone walk this slow since Gotou did in Parasyte the Maxim. Otherwise, I thought it was an ok ending. Season 2 itself was pretty meh though. Most I would give is 7/10, B- if I'm feeling generous.

If Tokyo Ghoul does decide to give itself another season, my god PLEASE have a better studio do it. This series could be so much better in the hands of the right people. Imagine if Ufotable put their hands to this. This series would become GOLD (technically anything Ufotable touches becomes gold, so disregard that).
Schierke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
As a huge fan of the manga this ending (although heartbreaking) and the series as a whole was extremely disappointing. I have a firm belief that spoiler[ Hide is still alive in the manga ] but seeing him die onscreen was still really hard and heartbreaking. Tokyo ghoul really deserved a much better adaption then what was given, and they left room for another season? I sure hope that doesn't happen... Please don't ouch RE:
Even though Touka has had a pretty hard life she really doesn't get the short end of the stick compared to other characters. IMO toukas future isn't worth their sacrifices tbh...
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
DeadRed wrote:
roseversailles wrote:
What purpose did highlighting that author a few eps back serve?

That author was Eto.

Most of the loose ends are covered, being covered, or going to be covered in Re.

Thanks, I had a suspicion, but was unsure. Obviously I need to rewatch some episodes, as I'm sure I missed some important details! So is it a pretty solid bet we're getting :Re? The way this season ends doesn't necessarily indicate the massive shift in character spoiler[ (aka insanity Kaneki undergoes to become Sasaki and work for CCG, correct?)]---manga spoilers

Was Root of A close enough to the manga's plotline that an adaptation of :Re in the future would be possible? After hearing so many complaints of the second season robbing the manga of its emotional heft and exposition, it would appear that straight up adapting the next segment of the story would require some backtracking, or rewriting.

Gabbomatic wrote:
It’s neat that this came out in the same season as an Ikuhara show. It’s thematically similar to Mawaru Penguindrum (another show about the predatory nature of society)

I hadn't made that connection before! Mawaru Penguindrum remains my favorite anime of all time, so it makes sense that Tokyo Ghoul would appeal so strongly to me as well Smile Despite Penguindrum's finale shattering my heart into a thousand tiny pieces, I would have to say it was the more optimistic of the two shows, both in world view and closing episode. Though both stories focus on those victimized and erased by society, with redemption found through self-sacrifice, Penguindrum argues a step further that love is an essential redeeming source. Not only that, but spoiler[our heroes Kanba and Shouma actually succeed in saving their loved ones through sacrifice, while all Kaneki tries desperately to accomplish falls flat.] The few characters that obtain a happy ending in their respective shows only do so through someone else's sacrifice, and though in a much better place, are caught looking for someone who isn't there. Bittersweet, isn't it?
Bern73

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I was right in that the narrative would be left very incomplete, but I can't bring myself to care all that much because Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

There have been some people that have brought up some decently convincing arguments as to why Hide might not be dead, but that would just take away so much from this ending. Kaneki screwed up bad with some of the decisions he's made this season, and Hide's death exemplifies that more than anything else.

There were a lot of ambiguous things these last few episodes though. About the only character I think who is 100% dead, no ifs, ands or buts about it, would be Takizawa. Koma and Irimi were shown among a bunch of other ghoul bodies (presumably killed by Arima) but we only saw their masks, so they could just be unconscious. Shinohara was critically wounded by Eto, but there is a (probably very small) chance of him recovering. Amon and Kaneki completely disappeared. Hide himself even showed signs of life after he "died". Remember when Kaneki started crying? As soon as a tear fell on Hide's face, his body stirred and he smiled. You could say this prompted Kaneki to leave the burning Anteiku with Hide's body instead of staying there and dying with him, and maybe even go to the CCG to get Hide some medical help; like I said though, I wouldn't like it a whole lot if Hide survived, it'd just feel emotionally manipulative.

Out of all them, I think the only ones that I'd like to be alive are Amon and Kaneki. You need to have that sense of loss but without going overboard. Amon's character arc feels woefully incomplete, and Kaneki's ending just feels...well, cruel. Needlessly cruel. Like, I get the kid made some shitty choices and he definitely deserves punishment for that, but him dying on top of all that? He was able to restore some of his lost humanity before he confronted Arima, but I feel he deserves a complete redemption arc, or something similar at least.

I've read about 10 chapters of the sequel manga, and while I do like it quite a bit and am definitely interested to see where it's going, I can't say I'm in any hurry to see it get an anime. Like ThatGuyWhoLikesThings said, narratively this show ended on a very bad note, but thematically, it was outstanding, my few gripes aside.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Bern73 wrote:

Koma and Irimi were shown among a bunch of other ghoul bodies (presumably killed by Arima) but we only saw their masks, so they could just be unconscious.

Weren't both of those just a few of the nameless members of the Dobers and Devil Apes? The last we saw of Koma and Irimi were right after Kaneki rescued both of them and dropped them off somewhere else when they were injured. We never see them again if I remember correctly.
Bern73

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Bern73 wrote:

Koma and Irimi were shown among a bunch of other ghoul bodies (presumably killed by Arima) but we only saw their masks, so they could just be unconscious.

Weren't both of those just a few of the nameless members of the Dobers and Devil Apes? The last we saw of Koma and Irimi were right after Kaneki rescued both of them and dropped them off somewhere else when they were injured. We never see them again if I remember correctly.

I just checked, and no, it's them. There are a couple of ways that Koma and Irimi differ from the rest of their respective gangs in how they look. For example, Koma's mask has fur of an orange-ish color surrounding it, while the rest of his gang has more of a white or gray fur. Irimi isn't wearing a hood, while the rest of her gang is. Arima or someone else from the CCG probably found them and brought their bodies back.

Now that I think about it, yeah, they're probably dead.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
Was Root of A close enough to the manga's plotline that an adaptation of :Re in the future would be possible? After hearing so many complaints of the second season robbing the manga of its emotional heft and exposition, it would appear that straight up adapting the next segment of the story would require some backtracking, or rewriting.

I think its reasonably close to the source material, but the problem is that :Re isn't really that far along. I think its only 2 volumes and something like 20 or so chapters. Depending on the approach the mangaka takes it could wrap up sooner or later. But even a year from now there would probably not be enough resolved to make another season, so it would probably be a multi-year wait and by that time it might not be worth it from a producer's point of view (go with something newer and hotter).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8