• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spear of Longinus Crowdfunding Project Now Accepting International Backers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Can we pay them to NOT do this?

why?

Because he wants to make no sense? (^.^;) Seriously, I see no reason why this shouldn't or couldn't be done.
digritz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
This is ego driven pure and simple. My reason for thinking this? Why do you think it was restricted to Japanese. If they open it it just means they couldn't do it on there own.

There is nothing wrong with that but what if it fails? Which it very well could. I'm sorry but this is just not well thought out.The possibility that it's actually a small part of something else like testing new tech is also ridiculous. There are already efforts for creating new ways into space like the launch of Maido-1 and that was done in 2009.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
A launch into LEO is nothing; getting to the moon is another matter entirely.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Failure has always been a part of space travel and exploration. So until we acquire the technology of the 24th Century, the risk of failure and death will always be there. Even the Enterprise had it's transporter failures. Nasty death there.

Point being, if you stop following your dreams, because of a fear of failure, and because others tell you it is stupid or you can't do it, then you will be a poor and unhappy person.
Fabe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
digritz wrote:
This is ego driven pure and simple. My reason for thinking this? Why do you think it was restricted to Japanese. If they open it it just means they couldn't do it on there own.

There is nothing wrong with that but what if it fails? Which it very well could. I'm sorry but this is just not well thought out.The possibility that it's actually a small part of something else like testing new tech is also ridiculous. There are already efforts for creating new ways into space like the launch of Maido-1 and that was done in 2009.

So what about the other 32 teams taking part in the lunar X-prize competition? are they just 'ego driven" as well?

Polycell wrote:
A launch into LEO is nothing; getting to the moon is another matter entirely.

Agreed,thats what makes the Lunar X-prize so cool, Not only do you have to get your probe to the moon and land it safely but you have to travel 500 meter on,above on even below the lunar surface to win the 30 million dollar prize.

{Edit: We prefer it if users did not post consecutive posts when 1 post will suffice. When responding to multiple people 1 post will do. I went ahead and combined your 2 posts into 1 for you. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2