• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds Yūki Tabata's Black Clover Fantasy Manga to Regular Line-Up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Chapter 4 is in the next issue (#19), 5, 6, and 7 are in #20, and 8, 9, and 10 will be in the following issue.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Meh, the jump start was ok, but the art was not great. I was hoping for that Satellite Battle series, which was more consistently good.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Super excited! Very Happy Loved Black Clover! The artwork was incredible!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Bummer. Was hoping for Kagamigami. Something about Black Clover seemed a little too tired and unoriginal. The two leads being Naruto and Sasuke clones certainly didn't help things.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will be the first success to come from the Jump Start initiative. HiFi Cluster was a failure but the two other potential series were both quickly axed too so there were no missed opportunities. Gakkyu Hotei was the best performing series from its serialisation round but looks like it will be axed soon. Hopefully Black Clover will have some longevity to it. I'd guess Viz are given a rough idea of how the series are performing popularity wise?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So basically Naruto's back. Laughing
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very ****ing much, WSJ readers. Sure picked a winner there.

I think what grinds my gears the most of this thing is the main character explicitly wants to become the "Wizard King." I can stomach a little laziness while a series undergoes growing pains, but not even bothering to make this title any different from King of Pirates or, really, even Hokage... *gurge.* Well, another WSJ I'm not bothering to read.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Not the worst choice, but not the most inspired either. You just know how formulaic its going to be. At least Kagamigami (and even Battle Satellite) bucked a few trends.

But at least we've got My Hero Academia now. So things could be a lot worse.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Thank you very ****ing much, WSJ readers. Sure picked a winner there.

I think what grinds my gears the most of this thing is the main character explicitly wants to become the "Wizard King." I can stomach a little laziness while a series undergoes growing pains, but not even bothering to make this title any different from King of Pirates or, really, even Hokage... *gurge.* Well, another WSJ I'm not bothering to read.

You're welcome! Very Happy Seriously though it wasn't just the reader's votes that determined what series was added to the magazine. Viz has made it clear that there are several other factors as well (if the staff likes it, if they think it would sell well in North America, etc.) Why does no one ever complain about Nisekoi being a sell-out?
I'll never understand the appeal of Kagamigami many people admitted to liking it explicitly because of the author's previous work.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
this is best of them all this time.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
[ Why does no one ever complain about Nisekoi being a sell-out?

I complain about that all the time! Very Happy
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
[ Why does no one ever complain about Nisekoi being a sell-out?

I complain about that all the time! Very Happy

Everyone with any taste does. It's not even a taste based thing, Nisekoi is just objectively awful.

As for Black Clover it occupied the middle ground for me. Didn't have as much to offer as Kagamigami or Cyborg Roggy but wasn't as meh worthy as Battle Satellite.

I do hold out hope though that we'll get a second series announced next week, as I got the impression this was a close call unlike the last two rounds.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Frankly, of the four series I read of this batch, Black Clover was the one I wanted to see the least. It is the most formulaic, by-the-numbers, and calculated series of the bunch. Kagamigami, Cyborg Roggy, and Ultra Battle Satellite all felt like the authors were writing what they wanted to write, whereas Black Clover came off to me like it was trying to be Naruto (as others here have mentioned).

It's not as bad as if E-Robot was picked over Gakkyu Hotei or Table Tennis of Ageha, but the other three series competing against Black Clover felt way more fresh and promising than it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
I thought Kagamigamiwas just boring. I mean, I liked Psyren, and hope that it eventually goes someplace, but the first few chapters were woefully uninspired. It was all just a pastiche of Nurarihyon, Inu Yasha, and a dash of Kekkaishi, but mostly the most boring aspects of any of them. I mean, I loved all those series, and would maybe eventually love what Kagamigami becomes, but the first few chapters did not inspire a lot of hope.

Roggy was just universally awful though, I have no idea why they even pitched it, except as something to make the other books look better.

And yeah, Clover has it's clear Naruto ties, that isn't necessarily a bad thing though, Naruto was a fun series and it's over now, why not a new take on the formula?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
My Hero Academia would be a new take on the story of Naruto*.
First few chapters of Black Clover have just been a take on the formula. Emphasis on the omission of 'new'. When a significant enough percentage of written responses immediately talk about being a copy, that's some sort of warning sign. Either Tabata is not leaving his own mark on the story, or whatever he did add to make the story his is insufficient to grasp our attention.

*look at how the overall plot's been going; it's been tracing the steps of early Naruto. And this isn't a slam on MHA; it's doing an excellent job.
If you're going to bring up 'oh this character has a few different traits!''/'that relationship is a bit different this way!'/other micro-level details, that is a credit to Horikoshi presenting a new take. A successful fresh take would generally have you not notice without spending some time reflecting on it. Instead, what should be getting your attention is the author's own personal touches to the tale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2