• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Hajimemashita (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Finale:

Overall, pretty good season spoiler[as I liked the chemistry between Nanami and Tomoe in the finale. It kinda leaves for an open ending this season so I hope it gets more anime in the future.]

Glad to see spoiler[Jiro] again as well. He honestly became one of my favorite characters around the latter half of this season through his interactions with Nanami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tomoe has been upping the creepiness all season. I guess spoiler[trying to seduce elementary school students] is within expectations.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
That was kinda ... weird. L'il Nanami was adorable but I can't say I grooved on seeing her have to relive some hard times. Then that whole thing with the sheep - jesus. Clearly a third season is planned since Evil Former Friend has not got his Evil body back yet.

Rated this show Good.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Tomoe has been upping the creepiness all season. I guess spoiler[trying to seduce elementary school students] is within expectations.

Yeah. Nothing says creepy more than a 500 year old yokai who spent most of his life in violence suddenly finding it in himself to attempt to bring comfort to a lonely and impoverished little girl.
Blood- wrote:
Rated this show Good.

Where I am coming from that is seriously underrated. I am going for Excellent.

What makes it that way for me are no big things -- this anime isn't about that. It is the many little things it gets done in ways that look so easy they don't get noticed but in fact are very difficult. Tomoe for the first time in his long existence begins to understand a sense of human loss. And could they have made it any more moving when Nanami spoiler[regained a tiny piece of her childhood that was worth anything int he form of that magically created picture?]

Lots of things like that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
I liked that moment, too. Where I ding the show on points is on story-telling and the dynamic between the two leads. To explain myself further, I'll compare this show to the recently finished Yona of the Dawn which I rated Excellent.

To me, an example of this show's story-telling deficiency is how Evil Former Friend was handled. Everything from the OP to the initial set-up suggested that his story was going to be the narrative spine of this cours. Nope. Which is fine, but why suggest that if you're not going to follow through? Yona, on the other hand, had a plot that was always keeping me engaged. I suppose the comparison is a little unfair in that Yona is definitely a fantasy adventure story whereas KK is more slice-of-lifey, but even so.

The more important demerit in my eyes, however, is the Nanami-Fox-face dynamic. Yona has a similar one between Yona and her hunky bodyguard Hak the Thunder Beast. They are both gruff, violent guys who become gooey puddles of mush in the face of their adorable objects of love, a fact they keep secret as much as possible, especially from their oblivious girls. This is standard shoujo stuff, of course.

However, in KK this dynamic is front and centre and repeated endlessly whereas in Yona it is an important element but it's not shoved in your face every five seconds. Seriously, if I had to endure yet another close up of Tomoe's scowling and troubled eyes, I was going to lose it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

A cute finale following Nanami's spoiler[troubled past and her solving the sheep issue]. It kind of sounded like Nanami's spoiler[family line is cursed to give birth to a daughter, and then the mother passes away]. Perhaps Nanami deciding spoiler[not to get married will keep her safe]?

Right off the bat I do have to say I enjoyed this season to the first. First season I rated as "Decent", so I might rate this season as Good. There are a number of places that could be fixed that kind of make it a bit too melancholic, and this season kind avoided a few things that had a larger part that I liked in the first season like some of her school time. Her school time was largely reduced to a few jokes about Tomoe having to cover her and we did not really see her friend that much. But I don't think that really mattered that much because I generally just enjoyed this. It was no masterpiece, but it did not need to be, some things are repeated, but the repetition does seem to creat small changes in the characters.

Perhaps I have become more accepting of shoujo, but this was a lovely watch.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
Kamisama Hajimemashita Kaho-hen, OVA 1

Looks like we have ended up in a big plot. Tomoe is dying from what changed his past nature, and Nanami has gone looking for way to stop it. Strange, it is almost looking like Nanami might spoiler[really be a time paradox in being involved].

Look forward to another OVA which will continue this.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any encyclopedia info on the OVA. Where did you find it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any encyclopedia info on the OVA. Where did you find it?

Illegal streaming websites I dare not mention in fear of breaking the forum rules.

And yeah, nothing really on the encyclopedia on it, but I am guessing that it is THIS.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed by that news when I saw it. Of all the arcs to adapt, this arc should have been the one that got multiple episodes flushed out in a TV season. (MANGA SPOILERS) spoiler[Because it reveals what happened in the past with Nanami, Yukiji, and Tomoe, and ends with Nanami and Tomoe becoming an official couple with a promise for future marriage.] Of course, I imagine Julietta Suzuki didn't want the anime to adapt the chapters out of order, which I can understand. Anyways, this pretty much confirms for me that we're not getting another season of the anime (which I wasn't really expecting anyways... I was surprised we got a 2nd season). Having OADs of side-stories in the manga is one thing. Having OADs of a multiple volume arc that skips several volumes from where the 2nd season ended and that (MANGA SPOILERS) spoiler[changes the relationship status of the main couple]? Yeah, no 3rd season.

Another disappointment: Two episodes to adapt what occurred in four volumes? I can't imagine the episodes not cramming a bunch of stuff in or leaving a bunch of stuff out. Then again, this is being sold to the manga readers who already know what happens in the arc, so leaving a bunch out is probably not a big deal. The big selling point is to have (MANGA SPOILERS) spoiler[the official first kiss animated].

A third disappointment: Even if Funi releases the 2nd season on BD/DVD, there's no guarantee they'll get these two episodes since they were created to be bundled with the latest volume of the manga. Funi would have to probably go through different channels to get the rights. Which is more money and work for a show that still has extra Collector's Editions of the 1st season in stock a year and a half after it was released.

I will give it a wait before I watch to see if any official streams pop up, but will probably have to resort to fansubs at some point. Official streams rarely ever pop up for OADs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9