• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion's Hideaki Anno Is New Japanese Godzilla Film's Chief Director, Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
TheDrmcvey wrote:
Desunaito wrote:
never understood the hate on eva3, it was so much better than the predictable 1 & 2

anno seems to have alot work lately, hope he keeps doing mind blowing films, instead of catering to the mass

This right here^ I'm tired of hearing everyone BS about Eva 3.33. I'd rather have something ambitious and ballsy in its execution than the same thing over and over. Of course all I'm doing is feeding the trolls, so yeah, I'm going to end it right here. Also am looking forward to this film as well!

It was really ballsy how none of the characters contributed to the narrative, nobody had any lines but Shinji and Kaworu, the timeskip was unnecessary, and everyone at the end of the film was basically the same as at the beginning of it.

Real ambitious. A film where nothing happens that completely derails the momentum of the series.

But hey, maybe Ultraman will appear in this Godzilla film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
If that's true, then that's nice.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
I'm personally not a fan of Hideaki Anno (I thought Evangelion was extremely boring), but as a Godzilla fan, I'll stay optimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
NothingIfNot wrote:
The fourth Evangelion film is now officially delayed until after we're all dead.

No, the fourth film of Evangelion will never come out because Anno won't give a shit about it. It's as simple as that. You could already see it with the third one if it wasn't clear enough.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Well.

I... kind of want this, I think.

Just as long as it isn't a series of films that ruins itself in the third entry.

Aw, damn it, couldn't make it through the whole post without referencing Rebuild 3.33.

I came here to type EXACTLY this. I hope it's more like his 90's works and not like the abomination that was 3.33.

So Godzila spends a huge portion of the film whining like a bitch why no one likes him, while the other characters quote Freud and the bible.
ALL ABROAD THE FUN TRAIN.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
No 3.33 had a plot but to bad is was utter shit.
So is this Godzilla movie for real?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
As much as we may not like this, Toho gave the nod to have Anno direct this movie. If anything, we should complain to them.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
NothingIfNot wrote:
The fourth Evangelion film is now officially delayed until after we're all dead.

No, the fourth film of Evangelion will never come out because Anno won't give a shit about it. It's as simple as that. You could already see it with the third one if it wasn't clear enough.

What do you mean by he doesn't care? Death and Rebirth and EOE was in large part made because the original ending wasn't a reflection of his original vision. Each rebuild movie has received multiple reissues due to minor edits and soundtrack differences. And let's not forget the fact that Funimation has had to delay their release of 3.33 for almost 2 years because of his insistence on recording an entirely new dub and adding a new subtitle track, all with him heavily overseeing the process. If anything he cares too much!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
Either this will turn out good or bad. Confused
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So Godzila spends a huge portion of the film whining like a bitch why no one likes him, while the other characters quote Freud and the bible.
ALL ABROAD THE FUN TRAIN.

You seem to be confusing Evangelion with Hideaki Anno. Whom, might I add, has been involved in quite a bit of anime that's not Evangelion. If you want an actually legitimate indicator of the film's possible outcome, I'd suggest looking towards 2012's Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo short film.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Hope they'll go through with the Godzilla movie. It maybe limited in budget, but as long as creative juices are still flowing, budget won't be as big of issue.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, let's be prepared for a mindfuck. Plot twist, Jesus got resurrected as a T-Rex that mutated into Godzilla. Also, it has type-blue blood, evangelion 4.0 confirmed for 2025.

Also, before that guy who always complains gets here, 3.33 is a great movie.

EDIT: he beat me here
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
NothingIfNot wrote:

is that a fact? stop spreading bullshit dude for real.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Is his Godzilla going to possess an umbilical cord and a 15-minute timer I wonder? Of course with Godzilla in full-amp mode 15 minutes likely would be more than enough time to flatten Tokyo or recycle Japan. I like Godzilla immensely and it's creation has been a prime reason why I can relate to anime so much (Yea, Japan!).

Re Anno & 4.44: If the Tooth Fairy ever decides to visit my abode by accident and grants me a wish I think I'll request that 40 years be removed from my chronological age so I can live long enough to be around to watch Evangelion 4.44 if it ever gets released for US consumption. At the present rate if 3.33 even gets a US release I'm sure I'll be dead by that time busily being converted into worm food 6' under.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This could be legitimately awesome. I would love to see something with the intensity of the battles in End of Eva, but with Godzilla.

And I too loved 3.0 so sue me people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3