• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion's Hideaki Anno Is New Japanese Godzilla Film's Chief Director, Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Themaster: What they should do is a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie already. Instead, we'll probably get another otaku crapfest like the live-action Cutie Honey.

penguin:
Quote:
Yeah, who could have predicted 3.33 wouldn't have a plot?

Anyone who's sat through the last two episodes of the show? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

penguin:
Quote:
Yeah, who could have predicted 3.33 wouldn't have a plot?

Anyone who's sat through the last two episodes of the show? Rolling Eyes

Touché.

But at least those episodes were somewhat substantive, if abstract. Which is more than I can say of Rebuild 3.33.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
The last several Godzilla films were declining in viewership, that's why they mothballed it, so maybe a change of pace like this is what it takes to give it a shot in the arm in Japan.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The last several Godzilla films were declining in viewership, that's why they mothballed it, so maybe a change of pace like this is what it takes to give it a shot in the arm in Japan.

That and the 2014 movie.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Not really a Godzilla fan but I will definitely watch this just to see what Anno comes up with.

penguintruth wrote:
It was really ballsy how none of the characters contributed to the narrative, nobody had any lines but Shinji and Kaworu, the timeskip was unnecessary, and everyone at the end of the film was basically the same as at the beginning of it.

Real ambitious. A film where nothing happens that completely derails the momentum of the series.

Sigh.....I was gonna ignore this, but might as well say a couple things. As GATSU said, people are reacting to 3.33 like they've watched eps 25 and 26 for the first time. The timeskip is basically like ep 25-26 again. 3.33 is about spoiler[ what the characters are doing after the aftermath of Third Impact]. The complaints about Shinji and Kaworu playing the piano, it depends on whether you think it's a good way of showing character bonding. And as for no character development, Eva has never had linear development, where the characters keep growing and growing. In NGE/EoE there are plenty of times where Shinji gains confidence but then setbacks occur that make him regress.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So Godzila spends a huge portion of the film whining like a bitch why no one likes him, while the other characters quote Freud and the bible.
ALL ABROAD THE FUN TRAIN.

Unlike the US Legendary Pictures Fun Express we had, at least Godzilla will be IN it for longer than 20 minutes.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
@CoreSignal Ep 25-26 / End /manga ending = Good.
3,33 = Boring + WTF? 4,44 could be a crazy ride indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
@CoreSignal Ep 25-26 / End /manga ending = Good.
3,33 = Boring + WTF? 4,44 could be a crazy ride indeed.

Agreed. The ending(s) for the tv/movie/manga are all great in their own way. As for 3.33, I personally thought it was an "interesting", experimental movie. I would argue that it's more interesting than 1.11 in some ways. Obviously, many hate 3.33, it's just that I don't think it's as bad as some people say it is. Btw, like most people, 2.22 is my favorite Rebuild movie so far. Anyway, bring on 4.0/4.44!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
My scores are: Evangelion: 1.0 = Excellent, Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance = Masterpiece and Evangelion: 3.0 = So-so as it´s only a mistake and not devoid of value.

To get how i rate to compare: The Berserk movies start with So-so and then go down to Weak by movie 3 as they are a disgrace. Score: 8.3 my ass! Thank God-Hand these flopped.

The US Godzilla re-boot is a Decent for all the popular reasons to criticise it aka the wrong lead + no fights on Screen. The 90s one is full of rotten fish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3