• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga #77 Gets 3.8-Million Print Run

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
And to think that 200,000 copies printed would be impressive for most other series. No, One Piece has to outdo that twenty-fold every volume.

Looking at that cover, I wonder what weird impressions someone must have who isn't familiar with the characters in One Piece and sees this cover.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
That's the charm of One Piece, wacked out covers and contents to match. It's been that way since the beginning. Very Happy

Mark Gosdin
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Showing who´s boss since 1997!

One Piece knows no rival PERIOD
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't be surprised if the 79th or 80th volume gets close to that record again, as it'll most likely be the conclusion of Dressrosa. spoiler[ Hopefully just a few more chapters and Luffy will kick Doflamingos ass, he was really laying into him until Trebol got in the way ]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
While it's a few years old, the Feb. '12 "Dragon Ball Z and One Piece,
two of the most popular Japanese anime series, at Hyper Japan 2012!" press release on Toei Europe's site does mention that DB did sell 350 million global copies.

This means that DB may still be the ichiban manga in sales.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
two of the most popular Japanese anime series, at Hyper Japan 2012!" press release on Toei Europe's site does mention that DB did sell 350 million global copies.

Those are most likely printed copies. I doubt DB sold 200 million copies worldwide. Like with music, worldwide numbers are almost always printed copies (shipments) because they can easily be obtained while the amount of sold copies would require dozens of countries to actually have the numbers (most of them don't...and in fact Japan only has precise numbers since 2008) and report them.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Just think about it: One Piece's first-run print is higher than the population of some countries. Let that fact sink for a minute...
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Just think about it: One Piece's first-run print is higher than the population of some countries. Let that fact sink for a minute...

You don't need a very high-print run for that though considering the number of countries and the population of some of them.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

The independent nation of Nauru has a population of less than 11 thousand people so a 3.8 million print run is higher than more than a few countries more like 65+ not including countries without full recognition.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
Worth to note this quote from the article;
article wrote:
Shueisha said regarding the print run for the 77th volume, "Aside from print publications, [Shueisha] also distributes its comics digitally, and our sales channels are increasing. We plan to release a digital version of volume 77 in May."

...as this is the first time in 4 years the physical print run dips below 4M mark. The digital and physical run together may very well reach 4M combined, as previously...
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Looking at that cover, I wonder what weird impressions someone must have who isn't familiar with the characters in One Piece and sees this cover.

I had a similar thought running through my head when watching the New Kama land episodes of the animated series.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

This is wrong, because the last numbers we got for worldwide DB volume sales was 230 million at the end of 2012 as part of a battle of the gods press release. Since Shueisha, the manga publisher, was actually involved in that press release, I think it's more credible. I think the over 350 million volume number came from some press BS during the dragonball evolution film and was likely inaccurate. The One Piece numbers were 345 million as of november 2013 (which means it's surpassed 350 mill by now anyways)
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

DBZ is more popular as an anime series worldwide but numbers for the top 3 manga in world:

1- One Piece = 345 million
2- Dragon Ball = 230 million
3- Naruto = 205 million
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought that this initial print run is only for sales in Japan, since Japan would, I'd reckon, be the only country to get the volumes this soon. Even then, the most recent population count of Japan indicates about 126,910,000 people live there. (Japan is currently the 10th most populous country in the world.)

Nevertheless, that's still almost 3% of its population, an amazing level of market penetration. In proportion, that'd be like as if Image decided to print 9.6 million copies of the latest volume of The Walking Dead for the United States alone and all at once.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
One Piece never failing to disappoint Very Happy I would like for the Dressrosa arc to finish soon, but I know that Oda has his plans for how he wants to pan the series out. Getting these constant runs of seven digit first print runs though continues to prove why Oda is the current manga king.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2