• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Changing Tides [2015-04-03]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brakus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I was somehow surprised to discover that Rider (Iskander) from Fate/Zero was based on Alexander the Great. It's been well-known that Alexander the Great had bisexual tendencies, so I was quite pleased that Rider is a "bara" character. Perhaps Rider is the first such character to have such a prominent role in the series. Kudos, I guess, to Gen Urobuchi for going with that particular direction with Rider!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
To be technical, Shibuya didn't legally recognize same-sex marriage, which couldn't be changed at a special ward level like that. It's issuing non-binding certificates of recognition of same-sex couples that would only apply within Shibuya itself. A step forward, yes, but a teensy tiny step.

It should also be noted that LGBT acceptance has a VERY big generational gap in Japan, even larger than in the US. In America, 70% of people aged 18-29 say homosexuality should be accepted versus 52% over 50. In Japan, those numbers are 83% and 39%. Progress is obviously not inevitable, but I'd imagine that in a generation or so, Japan may look very different than it does now.

Edit to add: there's also a fairly large gender gap, 47/61, and as is consistent in all cultures with that gap, it runs in women's favor. Feel free to speculate on why.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
About the apperance of anime on U.S. TVs - I believe that 4Kids' One Piece modifications had some (very) negative backlash from the fans, and that might discourge other networks to do these kind of heavy editing. Coupled with the aforementioned lack of interest due to the inability to focus-test it until the word guaranteed money is written over it, and you'll find why anime on U.S. TV is ever-shrinking. (Then again, the reactions to 4Kids' edits might not even factor all that much with network executives, for all we know)

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the only other example I can think of at the moment is Yoshiyuki Tomino supervising the dub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies -- I'm told that he was fairly high maintenance and insisted on outright wrong and gibberish translations for certain terms

Well that certainly explains a lot about that dub. Also, from what I understand he was also involved with the (much, much better) TV series dub, insisting on using the different sound effects and cutting the Doan's Island episode. As for other examples, the Japanese team for FLCL helped the localizers get across some of the symbolism since a direct translation wouldn't work.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Quote:
the only other example I can think of at the moment is Yoshiyuki Tomino supervising the dub of the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies -- I'm told that he was fairly high maintenance and insisted on outright wrong and gibberish translations for certain terms

Well that certainly explains a lot about that dub.

It's still quite odd that he didn't do anything about (or didn't notice) the whole "Gun-damn" thing.

Or did he enforce it?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The Utena dub wasn't really that good for the first 13 episodes, but the movie and rest of the TV series turned out pretty good. Not fantastic, but I liked it. Rachael Lillis and Crispin Freeman were the biggest highlights. Same with the Slayers dub, which was "meh" for the first batch of episodes (Lisa Ortiz was worth listening to though), but the rest of the franchise sounded amazing.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
As easy as it is to get legit subs for new shows, try to find them for 80s shows. It's a shame they don't sell well enough over here to get many of them, but when they do come out, I buy them (for example, once Discotek got Orguss, I went "Finally!" and I'm going to buy it, but since it never completely came out ever before, I had to go with fan subs before it got licensed. And if Nozomi had never gotten Rose of Versailles, fan subs still would've been the way to go on that series too).

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that legit subs are going up in business, but as long as there's obscure 80s anime for me to watch (like most Ryosuke Takahashi stuff, VOTOMs is his only 80s series to come out over here) and as long as fan subs are the only way to watch them, there's definitely going to be a segment of the anime watching population that needs fan subs, even in countries with good streaming options.

I really just wish that it was easier for old shows to get legit subbed and put up online. As someone who almost never watches new shows (due to lack of scifi and letting time weed out those that started good but ended poorly), and really really likes 80s shows, legit sub streaming isn't a very practical way for me to support the industry and get what I want. Buying Discotek and Nozomi series and the few Anime Sols pledges it was possible to make are my preferred method. I'm clearly in the minority on this though, most people want newer shows, not 80s goodness, there's not enough money there. But until someone gets Fang of the Sun Dougram or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and as long as those shows are unreasonably awesome, even Americans will need fan subs for those. And I often feel like the industry doesn't care about us, yet fansubbers cared enough to sub those two series. To be fair though, I think those series were both subbed well over 5 years ago (though SPT Layzner was finally fully fan subbed more recently, within the past two years, so 80s anime fan subs are still being made)
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that one reason for watching fansubs is that most of the time (at least seemingly) they have the terms and character names correct, where as official subs tend to fail with these from time to time... (Looking at you, High School DxD & Log Horizon)
Of course fansubs aren't immune to such errors either, such as that one time when someone translated "Twice Critical" as "Zuwaiss Critical" in High School DxD, heh.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
... Japan is not exactly a mecha ...

That would be Mecca, a city in Saudi Arabia, the Islamic equivalent of Bethlehem for Christians.
asdqweiop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Justin Sevakis wrote:
... Japan is not exactly a mecha ...

That would be Mecca, a city in Saudi Arabia, the Islamic equivalent of Bethlehem for Christians.

please don't fix this. its beeter this way
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting Answerman. Perhaps I can give my thought into some of these:

About fansubs and piracy: Well I'm not surprised for anime thanks to legal streaming sites like CR, Hulu, Netflix, Daisuki, etc... But however piracy for other aspect of Japanese pop culture (J-pop, and J-dramas) are probably still rampart and at the same squashed.

Regarding anime that have been dubbed in English and not shown on US TV network: I understand where you come from on this and I want to add something to this part:

Justin, you wrote:
American TV network executives never really "got" anime. The ones I spoke to understood that the fan base was out there, but they didn't understand the appeal.

It's not only anime but a lot of foreign TV shows (that include K-dramas despite it's global popularity) don't even get shown on network TV (nor on cable channel unless it's a specialty channel like IFC, BBC America, KBS World, and etc...) in the US. Hell even British shows don't get shown on network TVs other then PBS Masterpiece and BBC America (the last time a British show was shown on US network TV was Merlin), now people wondered why US has a habit of remaking British shows/dramas (despite both UK and US speak the same language).

So it's not only anime that are getting sidelined but also British and non-English shows. This is why I'm happy for Netflix, and Hulu existed for. Speaking of British, I actually want to praise them (and I say this as an American myself) for doing something that no USA network TV was able to do: Broadcast a non-English language shows with subtitles and broadcast it on TV. I'm not joking, have a look (none of these shows have gotten English dub when shown in UK):

The Guardian-The Killing puts torchlight on subtitled drama

The Guardian-The Killing and Wallander crack secret of subtitle success on UK TV

Hollywood Reporter-BBC Four Acquires More Foreign-Language TV

The Guardian-Channel 4 aims to make a killing with subtitled French drama

ITV3 follows in the footsteps of BBC4 and brings a new Danish drama to Britain

The Guardian-BBC4 announces new Belgian drama plus return of The Bridge and Spiral

See even mainstream people in the UK can watch (and handle) subtitled shows from neighboring countries. I wish the US can do something like broadcasting a non-English shows with English subtitles like what the British did instead of remaking them. You don't see the British remaking The Killing unlike US.

About portrayal of gays/LGBT in anime: Yeah I agreed with Justin that most Asian countries has a not good record of LGBT rights. The only Asian country that recognized human right for LGBT is Taiwan, and I'm not making this up.

Anyway, very interesting Answerman. Would love to see what'll be talked about next week. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

Just to quibble, wouldn't Medina be the Islamic equivalent to Bethlehem while Mecca would be more like Nazareth?

I like imagining there's a giant mecha buried under Mecca.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
all about old anime

And it's amazing to think we still have dozens upon dozens more 70s, 80s, and even some 90s anime left to just get raws of, let alone see them fansubbed. I get a bit excited when I see a new fansub of something old, like Salamander. I'm still waiting on completions for Kabocha Wine, Lady Georgie, and Hi-Speed Jecy, which likely aren't going to happen. At least there's still some groups out there who are trying, but like others have mentioned, it's all old-ass shit and not too many people really care.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
unready wrote:

Just to quibble, wouldn't Medina be the Islamic equivalent to Bethlehem while Mecca would be more like Nazareth?

Depends on how you think of the lives of each individual; Jesus and Muhammad had rather different paths. Muhammad was born and raised in Mecca, had to flee to Medina to save his life, then returned to Mecca to conquer it, which is also where he died. Jesus, meanwhile, is purported in two of the four main accounts of his life to have been born in Bethlehem but grew up in Nazareth; the other two have him being from Nazareth only. Afterwards he wandered around much of the then-Roman-province of Palestine before being killed in Jerusalem. I'd argue that, in terms of religious significance, Jerusalem is a better parallel for Mecca; both are the cities where they died, and both played the largest role in their religious narratives, Mecca as the site of the Kaaba and Jerusalem as the site of Jesus' crucifixion.

But really, it's open for interpretation and not a very good parallel, since they lived very different lives.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
It is encouraging to learn that places like Shibuya are open to the idea of same-sex marriage.

Tenchi wrote:

That is funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6