• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Cute, but still not as cute as my keychain. Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't you pick a fight with me, bro. :p

Let's agree all the chibi things of SAO are cute.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online : Extra Edition (Dub Edition)

Right, even though I mentioned the Extra Edition earlier, I've only just got around to watching the feature film with the English Dub.

I thought that all the voice actors continued their roles very well. Cassandra Lee (Suguha) was once again very convincing as Kazuto's sister. Lisbeth felt a bit more 'sexed up' than usual, but other than that everything was fine. Make's me wonder who is going to voice Asada-san! Asada-san! Asada-san! Asada-San!, guess we'll find out pretty soon.

The edition I had came with a special booklet interviewing Shingo Adachi (Character Designer) about the Extra Edition setting. It's a few pages long so I just picked out a few interesting questions below.

Animation-wise, was there anything you put extra effort into?
Suguha's chest when the girls were done swimming and were changing in the locker room. For that, I did everything in my control to give her the biggest bust as possible.

Mr.Ito told us how gung-ho you were about that as well.
When he came to check on my work, I still thought they were too small. Suguha is written as being well-endowed.

That's correct. Overall, there aren't many girls with ample chests in SAO, so in that scene, hers stood out all the more.
In animation, unless you make sure they're huge at a glance, people don't see them as particularly big. At Suguha's age, I would think that even a C-cup would be on the large side in the real world, but for it to look big in a drawing, you'd have to go bigger than a F-cup, or it wouldn't look huge, so I made them as big as possible. For the new storyline, animation director Masayoshi Tanaka did a good job with all the bust drawings. there's a scene where Leafa puts her face in the water; she's standing still but them moves her face down to the surface, and her breasts totally get pushed up. I thought, "Whoa! Look at that attention to detail! Jeez, you're good!"

Sughua Scene!

Leafa Scene!

Some reference pictures above. In a strange way, I kind of found this and the rest of the interview intriguing. It goes on to talk about swimsuits and some of the game mechanics that were involved during the 'Whale quest', but I'm guessing that wouldn't be quite as interesting.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So, how about that English dub, huh? Seeing Kirito, Asuna, Sinon, Leafa, Silica, and Lisbeth come out to live-tweet the SAO II premiere is a nice throwback to the days when we had Dandy and Hange live-tweeting their shows.

Sarah Anne Williams @SarahAnneWillia · 13h
@IAmDeathGun Kirito will never lose to you! @BrycePapenbrook If he can take down dragons, he can take you!

No Kirito, I don't think magic wall socket bullets are a thing. #saotoonami

@BrycePapenbrook @IAmDeathGun Yeah! You just hide behind a gun! Kirito fights his opponents man to man! Even if it isn't the smartest idea!

Kaiji Tang @KaijiTang · 13h
@IAmDeathGun @BrycePapenbrook @SarahAnneWillia Death Gun ain't never faced Plot Armor before. Buhlee-dat. ALSO CAPITALIZE YO SENTENCES D.G.

Cassandra Lee Morris @SoCassandra · 12h
For those you who haven't seen SAO II yet, get a head start by following @IAmDeathGun ...trust me :) #saotoonami

Cassandra Lee Morris @SoCassandra · 12h
Ugh, diva. RT @IAmDeathGun: my identity will be revealed in the credits... when i see fit to allow it... #saotoonami

Michelle Ruff @MichelleRuffvo1 · 11h
“@IAmDeathGun: @MichelleRuffvo1 your soul reaper powers cant save you from me... sinon...” Don't need them for the likes of you Death Gun.

Cherami Leigh Kuehn @CheramiLeigh · 11h
We had to get some lens flare in for JJ Abrams. #saotoonami

Death Gun @IAmDeathGun · 11h
kirito... asuna... your conversation on that bench bores me...

Sarah Anne Williams @SarahAnneWillia · 11h
@IAmDeathGun Oh, pipe down and let them have their lovely dove time! :P

Cherami Leigh Kuehn @CheramiLeigh · 11h
This whole episode I was so nervous for the safety of Asuna and Kirito in that park. #saotoonami

Christine M. Cabanos @ChristineMCVA · 11h
Nice accent @BrycePapenbrook #pardonhisfrench #saotoonami

Bryce Papenbrook @BrycePapenbrook · 11h
Check out those prices! Good thing @matthewmercer has got it covered. #SAO2 #Toonami

Cherami Leigh Kuehn @CheramiLeigh · 10h
I wouldn't eat cake that seems like it's a rock... #saotoonami

Love the coughing lady! She means business! Shut @matthewmercer down!!! Lol #saotoonami

Don't be bought by fancy French pastries Kirito!!! It's not worth it!! #saotoonami

Sarah Anne Williams @SarahAnneWillia · 10h
@BrycePapenbrook @matthewmercer DON'T TAKE SWEETS FROM RANDOM STRANGE MEN!

??????? did wonderful work as Death Gun. Big fan of ???????'s work. #saotoonami
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
I hate to double-post, but really, nobody here's watching this on Toonami? Just hearing Michelle Ruff as Sinon is more than worth the price of admission. It's also fun watching Death Gun and the VAs interact with the fans on Twitter.

Seriously, if you're on Twitter, please follow @IAmDeathGun if you aren't already.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
I'm watching, and enjoying it, but not for the first time, so there's not a lot more for me to say at this point. Wink
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
I don't care enough to come to this thread again and post my thoughts again. sorry
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
I'll have to start checking it out. I'll probably start to DVR it though and watch it on my own time since I've already seen it, but never with the English voices.

I'm more interested in the second half of the season though. Got me right in them feels.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm definitely following it on Toonami, and I thought Michelle Ruff did a fine job as Sinon.

I probably won't be commenting much on it, though, as I want to save my detailed thoughts for an eventual full review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
Revisiting this topic: So, how about that Johnny Yong Bosch as Kyoji Shinkawa, huh?

You know, it's cool that Alex von David (ADR director for both seasons of SAO, among other things) is now on Twitter. His tweets regarding both this show and Kill la Kill can be quite informative.

Alex von David ‏@alexvondavid 2h
SAO2 dub trivia: spoiler[@johnnyyongbosch 's performance in this scene was so disturbing, it freaked @MichelleRuffvo1 out, during her session.]

Alex von David ‏@alexvondavid 2h
@JEFFBM @johnnyyongbosch @MichelleRuffvo1 From what I could tell, spoiler[it kind of freaked Johnny out, too]. #SwordArtOnlineII
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
I think I'll give the English dub a watch when they announce who's going to be voicing Konno Yuuki.

Other than that, you know the quality you're going to get with the dub, so I'll re-watch the series when the BD's are released over here towards the end of the year.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I wasn't terribly impressed with JYB in the role prior to that scene, but man, he sold that scene. Ever since I heard him do Izaya in Durarara, I've thought that he could do villainous parts very well, and this is just further proof.

Sad that we're going to have to wait two weeks for the arc's finale. Having a week off after episode 14 would have been a much more appropriate place.

And yes, I'm also interested to see who they have doing Yuki, since there are definitely some aspects to that role which won't be easy to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I wasn't terribly impressed with JYB in the role prior to that scene, but man, he sold that scene. Ever since I heard him do Izaya in Durarara, I've thought that he could do villainous parts very well, and this is just further proof.

As much as I hate that scene, I actually thought his performance outstripped the animation, in that he sounded believably crazy and threatening, while the character just looked like a silly caricature of crazy.

But I've been a fan of his lunatic villains since Claire Leonelli in Heat Guy J.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, I don't think anyone was ever meant to like that scene. It was supposed to be ugly and disturbing in a disconcertingly realistic (rather than sensationalistic) way, and I thought it pulled that off extremely well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Ruff was an EXCELLENT Sinon! Death Gun's VA was good too. Kirito.....I still prefer Matsuoka but he was still able to to make me LOL during his funny lines in the dub. Anime hyper The script was good too though, a contributing factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 113 of 115