• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn Episodes 1-24 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I actually had the same complaint about this show like Your Lie in April about the misplaced comedy. But this one is not as bad because it's set the tone as a comedy instead of a melo-teen-drama. But just wished that would have been dialed down a little bit because some scenes I just got really mad that they put a comedy slide in.
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
I keep telling people that this is one of the better "adventure/quest" type of stories to come out since Fushigi Yugi (damn that's an old show...)

But even then FS had it problems, omg that annoying main character... which the english dub didn't help one bit, but then again it was the (early90's) so I can forgive it.

But yeah, a great ride that sadly has no (current) definitive end, which hopefully will be remedied in the future; definitely a title I wouldn't mind continuing in manga form because this one to me deserves it should it not get an anime continuation.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ironically, I stopped watching it at the exact point Rose says it gets better -- because the episode I stopped at ended on a "pretty guy (Sinha) saves lead girl (Yona) from random rapist who exists for the sole purpose of being a rapist" scene, a.k.a. the ghastliest shojo cliché to ever cliché.

After reading the review, though, maybe I should soldier on regardless...
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yona of the Dawn rides off into the sunset with no obvious end for the journey.

And that journey is still going on strong in the manga; with no clear end in sight. The mangaka's notes indicate she is very happy she is able to carry on penning Yona for this long.

Manga readers have noted that unlike other long fantasy manga, Yona takes its time with major plot developments, while balancing action and romance together. It is very content to linger on character development for even the most secondary characters. (Some chapters are devoted to only character interactions and development; with barely any plot mentioned).

Worth mentioning that mangaka Kusanagi Mizuho has previously stated in her notes that she wants to give every single character some character development; even all of Soo-Won's generals.

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Music:Kunihiko Ryo

The composer is Zainichi; an ethnic Korean born in Japan. He's actually done some pretty major work under his Korean name, Yang Bang-Ean.
One major composition he did was a special version of Korean folk song Arirang, which he performed in person at last year's Winter Olympics handover ceremony (from Sochi, Russia to Pyeongchang, South Korea). The song was also performed at the inauguration ceremony of President Park Geun-Hye when she was sworn in.

{Merged posts. ~nobahn}
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Think Pierrot will give us another season?

There's still more to adapt right? And, while not exactly a stunner of a show, I would argue that it looks like Pierrot really cared about this show's adaptation.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
Ironically, I stopped watching it at the exact point Rose says it gets better -- because the episode I stopped at ended on a "pretty guy (Sinha) saves lead girl (Yona) from random rapist who exists for the sole purpose of being a rapist" scene, a.k.a. the ghastliest shojo cliché to ever cliché.

That was such a small and insignificant part of the episode as a whole.

But while Yona is not free of cliches it is one of the best shoujo adventure stories to come out in awhile (since Saiunkoku) with a well developed female lead and male characters that are more than just pretty boys.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Quote:
Music:Kunihiko Ryo

The composer is Zainichi; an ethnic Korean born in Japan. He's actually done some pretty major work under his Korean name, Yang Bang-Ean.
One major composition he did was a special version of Korean folk song Arirang, which he performed in person at last year's Winter Olympics handover ceremony (from Sochi, Russia to Pyeongchang, South Korea). The song was also performed at the inauguration ceremony of President Park Geun-Hye when she was sworn in.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. {Just stop it. Please. ~nobahn}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I was hooked from the get-go since I read the manga-ka's other works, 'Mugen Spiral' and 'NG Life.' If they're not doing a second season, then please someone bring the manga over here, because I definitely want to follow what happens next!
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
SahgoDN wrote:

That was such a small and insignificant part of the episode as a whole.

I know, I know, but it stuck to me for some reason. It just felt...so...forced.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
But while Yona is not free of cliches it is one of the best shoujo adventure stories to come out in awhile (since Saiunkoku) with a well developed female lead and male characters that are more than just pretty boys.

I see. I take it they also eventually cross that bridge of "Yona has to take lives if she wants to take back her kingdom", right? The story seemed determined to neatly avoid it in that first half (which I understand since it's not the focus of the story, but I'm just hoping they don't spend the entire series without addressing it).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that journey is still going on strong in the manga; with no clear end in sight. The mangaka's notes indicate she is very happy she is able to carry on penning Yona for this long.

Hopefully this show does well enough to get additional seasons, and we're not left with another Berserk situation. Yona is one of my favorite series from last year, so I'd love to see it become a franchise.

Does anyone know how well the discs have been selling?
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally the turning point in the show for me was when they are hiding with Hak's tribe and the elder goes to talk to Su-won. The writing in that part (and really any of the Su-won politics stuff) revealed a layer of complexity that I didn't expect to see from a show like this, and then it ran with it and built that complexity up within its plotting and its characters. Great stuff.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
I see. I take it they also eventually cross that bridge of "Yona has to take lives if she wants to take back her kingdom", right? The story seemed determined to neatly avoid it in that first half (which I understand since it's not the focus of the story, but I'm just hoping they don't spend the entire series without addressing it).
They do address it, and given the way you framed the question, possibly not in a way you're expecting.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I was late to the party on Yona, but enjoyed semi-marathoning the entire series over the final two weeks of the season. I found it a very good series with only a bit of a disappointing ending. (Finding the final dragon was a bit of a letdown and he got next to no development.)

It has one of the best "The story has just begun" endings, though. It makes it clear that what we have seen is pretty much all prolog to the real story of how Yona becomes the savior of her people... At least I assume that is what happens. I guess it it time to start reading the manga, eh?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Akatsuki no Yona managed to make me interested in two things, which I think have a lot of potential as far as the story is concerned. Firstly, I would like to know more about Soo-won and his motivation, which doesn’t seem to be that simple. It seems to me that it was not just that he wanted to take revenge for his father's death. At least I hope so. I would also like to know how the complicated situation between him and Yona will be resolved. Will they talk with each other about what has happened? I wonder if something will remind Yona that Soo-won told her that Il killed his father. Secondly, I want to know Yona’s fate, which is no mean feat, generally shoujo heroines annoy me. I want to know what Yona will choose to do. I suppose that she may not necessarily be interested in taking over the throne.

I don’t care at all about the romantic subplot. I couldn’t care less about Hak and Yona's relationship. Fortunately, romantic scenes between these two are few and far between, so I can ignore them without much problem.

Quote:

Well, it always depends. I found Sinha to be the least interesting guy. He is like a puppy: sweet, cute and in need of a mother figure.

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Akeema

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I loved the hell out of this show. It's so much like Tale of Basara in many ways; strong female character surrounded by interesting male characters, complex antagonists, political intrigue, and leaving me high and dry. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2