• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Irregular at Magic High School Light Novels, Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
@Spotlesseden: By that, I mean I've read whatever translated. I wish I could learn Japanese but I'm an airhead so pretty much what goes in goes back out. -_-[/quote]
niintysix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Don't know about you guys but I don't really mind the waiting. Since I've already read every volumes up until this point, I'm just excited to finally be able to support the author and to hold in my hands a physical copy of one of the LN that I like to read. Now just waiting for Oregairu and I know it's a miracle for this one, but Monogatari Series. Razz

Monogatari ln's would be awesome. I read the few that are translated and really liked them, even read the fabled kizumonigatari Wink
lys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
niintysix wrote:
Animelover12313 wrote:
Don't know about you guys but I don't really mind the waiting. Since I've already read every volumes up until this point, I'm just excited to finally be able to support the author and to hold in my hands a physical copy of one of the LN that I like to read. Now just waiting for Oregairu and I know it's a miracle for this one, but Monogatari Series. :P

Monogatari ln's would be awesome. I read the few that are translated and really liked them, even read the fabled kizumonigatari ;)

Kizumonogatari is licensed by Vertical, and scheduled to release this November (in case anyone hadn't heard).
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
niintysix wrote:

Monogatari ln's would be awesome. I read the few that are translated and really liked them, even read the fabled kizumonigatari Wink

Kizumonogatari is licensed by Vertical, and scheduled to release this November (in case anyone hadn't heard).

Oh my god....... I'm literally squealing like a girl with this news! Thanks for informing me with that news!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
niintysix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Just throwing this out there to hear what you guys think but was wondering if anyone has thought of or is interested in hiring a japanese-english translator to finish translating volume 14 and to do the others as well if no one continues the fan translation since it was dropped, and will be a long time for the official to catch up. Not sure if there would be any problems with professional translators doing this since the series is licensed now, just curious if anyone else has thought of this and if it's possible.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
niintysix wrote:
Just throwing this out there to hear what you guys think but was wondering if anyone has thought of or is interested in hiring a japanese-english translator to finish translating volume 14 and to do the others as well if no one continues the fan translation since it was dropped, and will be a long time for the official to catch up. Not sure if there would be any problems with professional translators doing this since the series is licensed now, just curious if anyone else has thought of this and if it's possible.

The translations were stopped because it was licensed. It doesn't matter if it's a fan translation or "professional" translation. Yen Press holds the rights to the English-language version of the series. If ANYONE creates their own, whether or not that person is a "professional", it's copyright infringement and illegal. There is no grey area just because it will "be a long time" until they catch up.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that licensing something doesn't grant you copyright to anything, though - only a license to publish it. So it wouldn't be Yen Press whose rights are violated, but ASCII Media Works. (Not that it matters, of course.)

Of course, I think most licensing contracts include a thing about the licensee being obliged to help the licensor in cases related to copyright infringements. That usually gives the licensee a right to send C&D letters, and in some cases even a right to sue.
niintysix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
What if it's just for personal use? Not distributing it in any way like with baka tsuki
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Unless things have changed drastically in the past 10 years, the license gives them the LICENSE to the product, but the COPYRIGHT to the English-language version. That's why Tokyopop had to send C&D to Kodansha for copyright infringement over their bilingual editions of books. Kodansha still owned the rights to the series, but Tokyopop held the rights to the English-language version, so putting English into the books violated copyright.
niintysix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Unless things have changed drastically in the past 10 years, the license gives them the LICENSE to the product, but the COPYRIGHT to the English-language version. That's why Tokyopop had to send C&D to Kodansha for copyright infringement over their bilingual editions of books. Kodansha still owned the rights to the series, but Tokyopop held the rights to the English-language version, so putting English into the books violated copyright.

Gotcha. Thanks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5