• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GARO: Honō no Kokuin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Stark: Haven't seen the others, but Genocidal Organ's effing depressing. Just warning you upfront.

Wrong thread? I think you're referring to the talkback about Project Itoh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Okay, so they set spoiler[up a trap that would snag on someone's foot, while they are investigating Mendoza who could create Horrors, and they decide to give Octavia a pass when she happened to lose her foot to a horror]? Octavia, the same woman always around Mendoza?

And Herman spoiler[expects them to just stop when a horror as at risk of hurting the king]? So much for him doing good things.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Wow. Octavia really is a piece of crap, isn't she? Well, at least she's got one foot in the grave now... so to speak. :/

The next episode should have a pretty interesting fight in it.

Oh, and "How's Ema?" Yeah... how *is* she, Leon? Twisted Evil
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 20:

It was an interesting episode. I think the show has a good focus on some of the side characters besides our main heroes. The Horrors are also getting more and more creepy imo each week..

And as for that cliffhanger, is Leon really ready?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Oh, and "How's Ema?" Yeah... how *is* she, Leon? Twisted Evil
Now, now, Leon hardly seems to be the kind of guy who kisses and tells. (Zaruba, on the other hand ... Very Happy )
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That was interesting although spoiler[I didn't expect almost the entire episode to detail the fight between Leon and his father. The transition of the flashbacks imo worked well to convey his relationship with him with an odd chemistry between the duo.]

Eh, I hope Hermon knows what he's doing because he is also taking a serious risk..
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
I just paused mid-episode to say: WTH Funimation subs? Why did you make Germán say "bite the bullet"? I don't care about liberal translations, did none of you consider for a second that bullets don't exist in 14th Century Spain? Geez

Also, isn't it like super taboospoiler[ to use your Makai Armor to fight other humans or Makai Knights]?

Loved the episode. We really needed this catharsis for spoiler[the tension between father and son], and I loved seeing those flashbacks. In the end, in spite of Germán being a pretty shitty dad, he loves and cares for his son, and León in turn respects him and looks up to him as a moral compass. It was all just very endearing to watch, although it's making me concerned. (I'm putting the following in spoiler, but it's just a theory) spoiler[I've seen a death flag hanging over Germán's head for a while now. I originally thought he and Bernardo would take each other out, and was relieved when it didn't happen, but now that he gave León his talking ring, I'm worried that he won't get his happy ending with Ximena (and a child to pass on his armor!)]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Herman is a "piece of shit", he is spoiler[going along with a plan that will sacrifice a city despite his life lessons]. And as we saw the spoiler[Watchdog centre don't even entirely know what they are up against since the releasing of horrors are only food for his real plan].
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Herman is a "piece of shit", he is spoiler[going along with a plan that will sacrifice a city despite his life lessons]. And as we saw the spoiler[Watchdog centre don't even entirely know what they are up against since the releasing of horrors are only food for his real plan].

I don't think that's entirely the case. When they were fighting, León mused that Germán is his father and that the father who taught him to cherish every life would never go along with this plan. I think the implication is that Germán is just pretending to go along with Garm's plan, but in truth he has something different in mind.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22:
That was interesting the way the episode spoiler[was developed for Mendoza, Herman, and the others. Ema is also a tactical genius imo when it comes to taking down traps with her abilities.]

And also, spoiler[it looks like Herman finally made his move as well.]

I wonder if spoiler[Leon realizes who that is at the end there though. Anyways, excited to see the story unfolding.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23:

Wow....spoiler[Anima] is like a freak of nature even compared other Horrors.

Pretty good all around action this episode although spoiler[I'm a bit worried for Alfonso, Leon, and Emma at the end there. Kinda curious to see how they will go with the finale. A final battle against Anima and Mendoza?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 24

Giant almost spoiler[unstoppable monster gets almost instantly absorbed into a smaller body], that is kind of a cool final boss thing. Plus a kind of spoiler[Omnimon reminiscent fusion upgrade], which is also cool. Plus in general that Leon was spoiler[able to succeed, I like him and Emma Regardless of age difference, while Herman is gone for good]. Not a bad ending, minus some pretty yawn worthy philosophy babel.

To talk about the entire series, I was not entirely sold, I think it was pretty much everything with Herman that got me angry as I could not understand how people could like him. Was it that him being a sleazeball who ends up in horrible comic relief moments funny? And I also hated that Alfonzo could so easily and often take up the high ground without really struggling with some personal challenge that might push him. Leon may have messed up and had trouble, but that is human, he may have been angsty but it came from an understandable place, and that he was not adequately helped to deal with it was understandable. I was so frustrated when they killed off Lara, her presence felt like it was exactly what was needed in the show, I liked how she affected Leon and I felt betrayed.

CG looked nice, as did some monster designs, in general designs were not bad but something did feel obnoxious. Thinking music themes I have to say that I could not care less about the OP song, although the ED was not too bad. I never really took that much noticed of the background music, which can be a good or bad thing. But story telling really felt inconsistent, especially moments like Leon ending up at some town out of nowhere for poorly put together plot. And that so many things could be so tragic, but the episode where some normal people who do not understand what they are dealing with and make something that sounds progressively creepy, they have a hopeful ending.

I rate the show as Weak, although much that is in general from my own personal dislike of much of the show that it made me wish I was doing something else. Although with how things are at the end of the show, I might not be against there being more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
I thought this show was pretty good in terms of characterization although there are some plot pacing issues for the second half. Action was mostly solid for the finale and it highlighted a lot of what Leon is fighting for.

The fight itself imo was done well although a few parts felt rushed though.

But overall, I'm rating this very good. Looking forward to movie and sequel.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quite a satisfying finale, I thought, and a nice way of dealing with the final threat.

In case anyone's curious, the first episode of "GARO: GOLDSTORM" has aired.

This live-action series is a sequel to a previous series, "GARO: Yami wo Terasu Mono," which aired three seasons ago.

The setting is near-future. Gold knight spoiler[Doga Ryuga] and spoiler[Makai Priestess Ria] are hunting horrors, and have noticed that there seem to be a lot of them lately. Meanwhile, a mysterious sword is discovered in a forgotten grotto, but it has a magic shield that prevents it from being pulled from a stone.

A pair of mysterious villains (who ominously remind me of FF: Advent Children baddies) want the sword, and blackmail an elderly makai priest into releasing its seal. Then...

spoiler[...when he does so, the sword breaks apart into two daggers. The villains snag one of them, but the other escapes and streaks across the sky like a meteor. The priest is then either killed or imprisoned (hard to be sure which) after being "reunited" with his kidnapped daughter (the bad guys hand him one of her bones as payment).

We then cut back to Ryuga and Ria for a monster-of-the-week horror hunt, ]
and that's it for the first episode. The GOLDSTORM movie currently in Japanese theaters is the prologue to this series, which the producers promise will have a story that continues from week to week during its run (as opposed to about half of the episodes just being monster-of-the-week).

Overall, a decent start, and for those who have followed the series in live-action it's nice seeing spoiler[Ryuga and Ria] again. Warning: if you hated the CG in the anime, be aware that it was far, far better-looking than the live action shows' CG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4