• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Boy and the Beast's Trailer, 2nd Teaser Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Looks nice. After seeing the cast and character designs, I'm even more hyped for this Summer Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I got teary eyed just from watching the PV, Hosoda movies just keep on growing, this is like the equivalent to Ookami Kodomo for male/would be father.
Maybe in the future we'll see a movie with old man like Nirasaki (Ookami Kodomo) as protagonist Laughing
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
This is the first I have even heard of this film and that trailer sold me on the film looks really interesting. Kind of has a Miyazaki feel to it. Super excited to see this when someone translates it to English.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
very nice! i have been waiting for more news on this film... it looks like yet another fantastic work of art from hosoda! the sadamoto character designs are as strong as ever. i have no doubt this will be one for the books.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Kind of has a Miyazaki feel to it.

So, "A shounen Spirited Away" is what you were thinking too?
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Yes! This! I want to watch this movie so badly!!

After the relatively subdued Wolf Children (which I loved), it's going to be fun to see Hosoda go nuts with the action scenes again. The trailer just felt right, I think he's really in his element here and I bet this is going to be a classic.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Definitely excited to see this in a few months. It's really starting to look interesting, though the trailer gives me a feeling of this being a pretty direct mash-up of most of the major themes from Summer Wars and Wolf Children (fighting tournament, parenting, feeling isolated because of what you are, magic beasts and humans interacting, young love between a normal human and one not so normal). Still not a big fan of the monster designs, but the human characters all look great, as does the animation itself. Here's hoping Hosoda can knock it out of the park for the second time in a row.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Supremely excited for this. :)
antasad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
Aaahh... how I love a seiyuu-girl's natural voice.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Still not a big fan of the monster designs

What's wrong with them?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
This is the first I have even heard of this film and that trailer sold me on the film looks really interesting. Kind of has a Miyazaki feel to it. Super excited to see this when someone translates it to English.

Appropriately enough, one of the seiyuu is Aoi Miyazaki.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Yes, to everything in this trailer! It's looking like another great film by hosada!
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Only Kappei Yamaguchi, huh? Man, I hate how these "art" directors view professional Japanese voice actors. Miyazaki went so far as to say that Laren Bacall(who is not a VA) was preferable to female VAs in Japan. Most people in Japan don't care about voice actors, but from what I hear about these films, most otaku regard the voice acting as "bad" because these guys focus more on naturalism than believable performances and the fact that they use green VOICE ACTORS! As little as I know about Japanese voice acting, I can at least hear something. Life, passion, excitement. These drama actors cannot voice act worth a darn. These are household names, not VAs. Stick to using real VAs, please, otherwise part of your film is going to suck. Even Oshii's GITS used some of the best Japanese talent available, such as Yamadera, Tanaka and Otsuka. Follow that path.
wolf4537

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
I can already tell this movie will make me have the feels.....really badly.....when it comes out. Razz
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Only Kappei Yamaguchi, huh? Man, I hate how these "art" directors view professional Japanese voice actors. Miyazaki went so far as to say that Laren Bacall(who is not a VA) was preferable to female VAs in Japan. Most people in Japan don't care about voice actors, but from what I hear about these films, most otaku regard the voice acting as "bad" because these guys focus more on naturalism than believable performances and the fact that they use green VOICE ACTORS! As little as I know about Japanese voice acting, I can at least hear something. Life, passion, excitement. These drama actors cannot voice act worth a darn. These are household names, not VAs. Stick to using real VAs, please, otherwise part of your film is going to suck. Even Oshii's GITS used some of the best Japanese talent available, such as Yamadera, Tanaka and Otsuka. Follow that path.

Considering that Miyazaki Aoi's Hana was one of the highlights of Wolf Children, I'm not worried. I honestly think that the naturalism you're decrying sometimes works better for films like Hosoda's and Ghibli's, which have a sort of naturalism throughout their whole film style. The fact is that these movies are aimed more at the average Japanese film goer and not otaku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2